Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you get 4c change

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I wait for my change. When I get home, it all goes into a bucket and at the end of the year I go traveling with it.

One of the greatest ways to save money on the side without giving up anything along the way.

I save my change too but no coppers are allowed in my money box. You're going nowhere with 4c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

I wait for 1c and don't think about it. I keep coppers in a showbox anyway...one day I'll be rich. I worked in a shop for years, gave back coppers and didn't think those people were scabs. It's actually annoying when people don't take it because a load of coppers end up scattered around the tills and behind/beside the receipt printers...would send the tills out otherwise.

Lucky you didn't post in Odysseus' thread. You'd have been accused of grooming with that sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I always wait for my change, even if it's only 1c. I certainly don't pay any attention to what other people or the person behind the till thinks, I doubt anyone notices/cares. Plus, it's my money - I'm entitled to it! But at the same time sometimes I've gone into shops and they've been completely out of 1c coins, in this situation I don't mind if they don't give me my change.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It doesn't make sense not to get your change. Lets forget amounts and look at the cold facts.

You picked up an item or items and placed them on the counter, doing so you have accepted the asking price for said item/s. You pay the agreed price, why in Gods name would you pay even a cent more.

If you do, you are a sucker.

These are simple rules, follow them, and you may survive this recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I hate hate hate change with a passion - even 20s and 50s - i try to get rid of them every chance i get and i wouldnt wait around for 4 measly cent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I will wait for 1c change, always have, always will imo.

Worked briefly in retail during the "celtic tiger" was shocked at the amount of people that didn't wait for change, sometimes up to 50c :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I hate hate hate change with a passion - even 20s and 50s - i try to get rid of them every chance i get and i wouldnt wait around for 4 measly cent...

Jaysus-you can pass them onto me so!
    50c's add up quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Jaysus-you can pass them onto me so!
    50c's add up quite quickly.

Deal - i post them to you individually...

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Deal - i post them to you individually...

Grand. You're paying for the stamps though:P

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

Having worked in retail for a combined amount of five years, please take your change, because if you don't the tills don't balance. I worked in one place where if, once the till had been counted, your balance was +, it was an issue treated on a similar footing to a -, due to theoretically short-changing customers.

Plus, who gives a f*ck about the above - it's your money, and if everyone left the shrapnel behind, it wouldn't be long adding up to a significant + that they aren't entitled to for the business owners. No one judges you taking your money, because it's yours. No one should be embarrassed about waiting for the four cent, or whatever it is, because no one's going to give you any discounts!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

I do not know how much 4 cent is worth but it is irrelevant.
    I never 'shop', my manservant purchases all the goods that I require.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Having worked in retail for a combined amount of five years, please take your change, because if you don't the tills don't balance.
    Well, you could add it to one of the charity jars if you had one - seems to be the norm when I occasionally do it.

The other option is the 'take a penny, leave a penny tray' although that'll probably never take off over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Pookah wrote: »
    My 4 cents worth...they don't bother with them pesky 1 and 2 cent coins here in Holland, they just round it up, or scale it down, to the nearest 5 cents.

Yup, far better system.

I generally just tell them to throw it in the charity box when it's <5c. Then I throw a crafty look back at the person on the till to make sure they actually do it.

basquille wrote: »
    Well, you could add it to one of the charity jars if you had one - seems to be the norm when I occasionally do it.

The other option is the 'take a penny, leave a penny tray' although that'll probably never take off over here.

Superquinn used to have the take a penny,leave a penny tray. Was very handy.
    Dunno if they still do it-haven't been in the shops for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I wait for my change no matter how big or small and working in retail I rather you(the customer) would aswell! It's your money after all.

The last 2 weeks I'd say in my small shop we've had about €3-€4 left by customers,enough to buy a lunch.Not that I did! straight into a charity box I swear.

Get a jar at home,and pop your change into it,at the end of the year bring it to the bank or one of them machines in Tesco(even though they charge 10%) and you have a sum of money off your xmas shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Gone are the days when you could say "The rest in jellies, please".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pookah wrote: »
    My 4 cents worth...they don't bother with them pesky 1 and 2 cent coins here in Holland, they just round it up, or scale it down, to the nearest 5 cents.
    save the cents for when you go to Holland just to see the look on their faces when you produce the exact change " hang on I've got it here somewhere"

Advertisement