Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you get 4c change

Options
  • 29-11-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

So yesterday I did a small shop in a garage and I was due 4cent change. Many different thoughts flew through my mind in those few seconds of waiting for the girl to get me my change. What do you all do and do you factor in the risks associated with it?

(1) Stand there and wait for the 4c: "Miserable beggar waiting for his/her pennies"

(2) Tell the cashier to put it in the poor box: "Ooohhh, that single donation will solve all of Africa's/Barnardo's/Cancer Charity's financial problems"

(3) Tell the cashier to keep it/just walk away: "Big shot eh? Doesnt think he/she needs the money"

Forget about the fact there is a recession and we are saving the pennies anyway. I did number 1.
    Now factor in that I am not in Ireland and I did number 1: "Bloody Paddy, as stingey as ever".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

''So yesterday I did a small shop in a garage and I was due 4cent change.''

You sound like you just sold yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Do what I do - eat the change 1c at a time in front of her..

.. and masturbate furiously while you do it!

Actually, scratch the first bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

This

currently have €132.49 in mine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

(4) Take the change and get on with your life not being influenced by what others think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I pretty much always do number one (without the pointless over-analysis). It's not something I'd really bother thinking about, I just take my change and spend it on what I want when I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Damn right i'd take my 4cent back. It goes into my money box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Well, if you want my two cents...............

(you prob do, ya hungry hure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Same thoughts run through my head, expecially when im waiting for 1 cent back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I specifically buy extra things so that situation never arises.
    I have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

nah the last time i left the 1c behind me i was 1c short when making up the bag!

i'm taking them from now on so say what you like about me i don't care!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

It's not pointless over-analysis though. I used to work in a shop and I used to think these things myself, so maybe I only think them!

The funny ones were the people who would want their 4cent change but be sliding very slowly away from the checkout as if they didnt want it. So then when I called to them with the change it was a bit like "Harumph, oh ok, I will take that change back but I didnt really want it" but they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

My 4 cents worth...they don't bother with them pesky 1 and 2 cent coins here in Holland, they just round it up, or scale it down, to the nearest 5 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I wait for my 4 cents.

If you were 4 cent short you can be certain you wouldnt get your loaf of bread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

mind the pennies and the pounds will etc, etc.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I was actually thinking the very same thing today, but much worse, 'cause I was only waiting on 1c change. I couldn't bear to do the whole - oh no, you keep it (you penniless pleb) exchange so I just tried to look like my mind was otherwise occupied and I had no idea how much change I was due.

Still, that cent goes into my piggy bank and will eventually form part of a bag which will be redeemed in the bank for the princely sum of €1 (which I'll probably end up using to buy something costing 99c, thus the circle begins again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I usually wait for my 4c and then put it in the poor box, good deed done for the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

From the person behind the till perspective, We really don't give two skits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

phasers wrote: »
    From the person behind the till perspective, We really don't give two skits.

Thanks for your two cents

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Wow! you are all the living advert for Tesco's slogan. "Every little helps"

Give the money to charity FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Last week I filled up €30 petrol, but accidentally got it up to €30.02. That was annoying, because if it was a cent over, the shopkeeper wouldn't have a problem but as I was walking into the shop to pay I was wondering should I just hand over €30 nonchalantly or give the 2 cent as well, looking a bit silly in the process.

I gave the 2 cent in the end, in 2 x 1 cent coins - I don't think she expected it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

The way I look at it is , say it takes 1 minute worth of waiting to get your 4 cents. Now if you take your annual income and divide it by the number of minutes in a year (approx 500,000) if that income per minute (eg it could be 6c per minute if you're on 30k) is higher than 4cents then you're literally costing yourself money by waiting. Leave and let the guy do whatever he wants with the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

bonerm wrote: »
    The way I look at it is , say it takes 1 minute worth of waiting to get your 4 cents.
    In which reality does it take 1 minute of waiting to get 4 cents change..

.. are they using fractions to count out your 4 cent change? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

basquille wrote: »
    In which reality does it take 1 minute of waiting to get 4 cents change..

.. are they using fractions to count out your 4 cent change? :confused:

yes, yes they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

anything less than 10 cents and i say thanks and wander off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

sollar wrote: »
    anything less than 10 cents and i say thanks and wander off.

:eek:

No recession in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I wait for 1c and don't think about it. I keep coppers in a showbox anyway...one day I'll be rich. I worked in a shop for years, gave back coppers and didn't think those people were scabs. It's actually annoying when people don't take it because a load of coppers end up scattered around the tills and behind/beside the receipt printers...would send the tills out otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

I always wait on my change due to the fact that one time when i got 20.02 euro worth of diesel i was asked for the 2 cents i only had 20 euro notes on me but owner changed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I wait for 1c and don't think about it. I keep coppers in a showbox anyway...one day I'll be rich. I worked in a shop for years, gave back coppers and didn't think those people were scabs. It's actually annoying when people don't take it because a load of coppers end up scattered around the tills and behind/beside the receipt printers...would send the tills out otherwise.

Is the showbox of coppers displayed over your mantlepiece as sign of your wealth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I wait for my change. When I get home, it all goes into a bucket and at the end of the year I go traveling with it.

One of the greatest ways to save money on the side without giving up anything along the way.

Advertisement