Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fintan O'Toole's Petition for Political reform now live!!

Options
  • 29-11-2010 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭

As a citizen of Ireland, I believe our existing political culture and institutions have failed to protect the public interest and the common good. I will not vote for any candidate who is not committed to radical reform, including (though not confined to) the following ten measures:
    1. SHARE THE PAIN
    No one paid from the public purse should earn more than €100,000 during the period of the emergency.
    2. PUT THE PARISH PUMP BACK IN THE PARISH
    Real local democracy, paid for by local taxes, and using direct democracy at every level, must be established.
    3. END CLIENTILISM
    Change the electoral system that turns TDs into constituency fixers. Replace it with a mix of direct election and a list system similar to that used for the Scottish parliament.
    4. CUT THE FAT
    Reduce the Dail to 100 members. Either transform the Senate within 12 months into a genuine forum for civic society or abolish it.
    5. MAKE PARLIAMENT WORK.
    Stop the use of the guillotine system to pass laws that have not been scrutinised. Give Dail committees the powers to examine proposals for spending before it happens and to hold those who spend public money accountable. Make senior public servants responsible for their decisions and actions.
    6. BRING WOMEN INTO POLITICS
    Cut public subsidies to political parties unless at least 30 per cent of their candidates are female.
    7. END IMPUNITY
    Conduct an urgent review of company law to ensure that white collar criminals are brought to justice.
    8. GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS
    Ban all significant private donations to political parties. Make parties publish annual accounts. Register and control lobbyists. Protect whistleblowers.
    9. RESTORE THE RIGHT TO KNOW
    Bring back the original Freedom of Information Act.
    10. NO MORE CRONYISM
    Make all appointments to State and public bodies open to public competition and Dail scrutiny. Ban any individual from being a director of more than three companies or public bodies.

If you agree go here http://fintanotoole.ie/petition/
    and sign it.

I know it on its own cant bring instant change but if it gets a ground swell of support it could work.
    If enough people sign it, it may be a catalyst for badly needed change in this country.

This country badly needs a political system that works for everyone and not rife with cronyism and nepotism and nonsensical civil war politics. If anything the current system has directly lead to the current terrible situation.

So read the petition and if you agree, sign it!
    Simple!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

In before the pedants, begrudgers, fintan-bashers, and the "we're never happy with anything" brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Excellent. Thanks for posting this. I was just saying in another thread a moment ago that he spoke with great conviction last Saturday. Signed.

I particularly support his call to change the electoral system/end clientalism. And I'd favour abolishing the Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

flynnlives wrote: »
    and sign it.

I know it on its on cant bring instant change but if it gets a ground swell of support it could work.
    If enough people sign it, it may be a catalyst for badly needed change in this country.

This country badly needs a political system that works for everyone and not rife with cronyism and nepotism and nonsenical civil war politics. If anything the current system has directly lead to the current terrible situation.

Simple!

Signed. I agree with everything, which is rare in one of these things. He must be right so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

2. PUT THE PARISH PUMP BACK IN THE PARISH
    Real local democracy, paid for by local taxes, and using direct democracy at every level, must be established.

Local taxes. Does he mean reintroduce domestic rates?
    As now, businesses pay but households pay nothing. Councils are short of funding so no wonder they approve developments to get the levies.
    This looks like more taxation to me
    6. BRING WOMEN INTO POLITICS
    Cut public subsidies to political parties unless at least 30 per cent of their candidates are female.

The Táinste is female, that's high office
    If the candidates are good enough, they don't need more support

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

O'Toole only demands that there be female candidates, not that we elect them. The voters aren't afforded the opportunity to voice their opinion of the female candidates if they're not on the ballot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

Signed. Pretty simple list which would greatly help if implemented.

O'Toole only demands that there be female candidates, not that we elect them. The voters aren't afforded the opportunity to voice their opinion of the female candidates if they're not on the ballot.

A party is in the business of winning seats. They have a chairman, committees and a nationwide cumann system to support this.

If a candidate is good enough they will be selected by the selection committee

That's what I meant.
    The best go forward to the ballot, not token candidates if they fail to find the numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I agree with encouraging more women into politics, but forcing it is stupid, as the intelligence of these won't be considered at all, women will just be thrown in left right and centre. No point in having token members.

The biggest thing the people can do now is petition for government wage cuts and expenses and pensions, as well as the top bankers wage cuts. Minimum wage is being brought down cause it's not inline with the rest of europe, well neither is the pay of the ministers. And the amount that the top bankers get paid is ridiculous. Never mind protesting against the 4 year plan, that's going to go through either way, but we deserve to be respected enough to have ministers take at least a 40% pay cut, to 'suffer' along with us.

A party is in the business of winning seats. They have a chairman, committees and a nationwide cumann system to support this.

If a candidate is good enough they will be selected by the selection committee

That's what I meant.
    The best go forward to the ballot, not token candidates if they fail to find the numbers

Do you think it's the case then that there are no suitable women that can be fielded at all? Or no suitable women that are interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Only ooooooooooooooone thing missing from that:
    11. SUGARY HEAVEN
    Free donuts for all, every day to help bring up the moral of the citizens..............no donuts for ministers or top bankers

Other than that I don't see much wrong with it.

• Advertisement

Saadyst wrote: »
    Do you think it's the case then that there are no suitable women that can be fielded at all? Or no suitable women that are interested?

I would think they are lots of good female candidates but maybe they don't push themselves forward enough

They need encouragement maybe.
    Bertie Ahern to be fair promoted many to junior minister level if they made it to the second term. That was his rule

I don't want to see case where a party has 25% female candidates and the chairman screams, quick we need more, anyone will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

basically forcing a % of female candidates will simply mean parties will put up females in unwinnable constituencies for the party.

I would think they are lots of good female candidates but maybe they don't push themselves forward enough

They need encouragement maybe.
    Bertie Ahern to be fair promoted many to junior minister level

I don't want to see case where a party has 25% female candidates and the chairman screams, quick we need more, anyone will do

Definitely not. But I'd say if it's the case where there is an abnormally low number, that it must be looked at to be encouraged or the system changed (if the system is the problem). I guess pushing it more toward having politics representative of the people that live in it (i.e. not 9 men to every one woman).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

and sign it.

I know it on its on cant bring instant change but if it gets a ground swell of support it could work.

This country badly needs a political system that works for everyone and not rife with cronyism and nepotism and nonsenical civil war politics. If anything the current system has directly lead to the current terrible situation.

Simple!
    Just a couple of things: 6. BRING WOMEN INTO POLITICS
    30 % is not enough as half the population is female.

Make all appointments to State and public bodies open to public competition and Dail scrutiny. Ban any individual from being a director of more than three companies or public bodies. Three?? Surely one is more than enough.
    Having said that, I'll sign it.
    And the government will ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

signed...not because it's perfect, but because we need some change and this could be at least a place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Local taxes. Does he mean reintroduce domestic rates?
    As now, businesses pay but households pay nothing. Councils are short of funding so no wonder they approve developments to get the levies.
    This looks like more taxation to me

Agreed.
    Those are the only 2 points Id really have any issue with, the rest I agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Agree with most of it. Except for..

Number 6: quotas for women or anyone else. Best man or woman for the job full stop, and

Number 10: Many entrepreneurs etc set up small companies from scratch and build employment and revenue from that, and they retain an interest by being a Director of these companies. I would agree a cap on number of possible directorships of companies with a state-shareholding however.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

In relation to no.10 i think he means to end political appointees and union bosses on boards of various state and semi-state companies such as DAA, Central Bank etc.

Also he wants our taxes to ring fenced for local gov. not have more/increased taxes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Against all expectations I had before I opened the thread, I agree more than enough with his main points to sign up, leaving a few minor quibbles aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

He was doing so well until the anti-meritocratic proposal of gender quotas.

If it weren't for that, I'd have signed it and quite a few others too, I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

He was doing so well until the anti-meritocratic proposal of gender quotas.

If it weren't for that, I'd have signed it and quite a few others too, I suspect.

Your not signing it into law FFS!!

All of the points he has made are what one would broadly expect from the modern civilised society.
    As i said already its not perfect but its a step in the right direction.

If you agree with the direction then sign it.
    There is no need to get bogged down in the snytax of it all just yet!!

It is a good first step

But many won't sign it unless they agree with all ten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's not a perfect list.

It may well & probably will be ignored by those in power.

But in the time it takes you to complain about it or finding reason not to sign up, you could already have it signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Your not signing it into law FFS!!

All of the points he has made are what one would broadly expect from the modern civilised society.
    As i said already its not perfect but its a step in the right direction.

If you agree with the direction then sign it.

Sorry, no. I'm not endorsing an anti-meritocratic move like quotas for gender, or indeed for religion, sexuality or anything else. A signature implies endorsement of the whole deal, and I'm vehemently opposed to any system designed to circumvent the principle of putting the best candidates forward for election.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Sorry, no. I'm not endorsing an anti-meritocratic move like quotas for gender, or indeed for religion, sexuality or anything else..

+1

Indeed, it's the perfect recipe for replacing one form of croneyism with another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Internet forums and petitions wont work.
    Moaning wont work.
    Marching wont work.
    More money wont work.
    Outside help wont work.
    Hard work wont work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It's not a perfect list.

It may well & probably will be ignored by those in power.

But in the time it takes you to complain about it or finding reason not to sign up, you could already have it signed.

That's the worst reason I've ever heard to sign a petition...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

TheZohan wrote: »
    That's the worst reason I've ever heard to sign a petition...

It would be, if it was a reason to sign up.

But it clearly wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I dont agree with everything on the list but ill sign it anyway. We need reform now! we can deal with the specifics afterward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

signed even with reservations against gender specifics

Advertisement