Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leslie Neilsen of Naked Gun fame RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

What a shame, the man is a legend. Growing up I loved watching his films. This is like losing a connection to my childhood :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Damn. He still owed us 2/3 of a movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

He seemed to be perpetually the same age. As someone before me said, you really assumed (and hoped) that he would live forever. It really is a pity to see him go but at least it was peaceful. The Naked Guns, Spyhard, Airplane! and Dracula: Dead and Loving it are all gems of films. They can't be topped by the crap we gave to put up with today.
    RIP Leslie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Ahh :(

Rest in Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

"We're sorry to bother you at a time like this Mrs. Twice. We would have come earlier but your husband wasn't dead then."

Remember years ago being allowed to stay up late to watch Police Squad. Highlight of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

“Doing nothing is very hard to do...you never know when you're finished.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Obviously fan of his movies but for me, it was his role in Due South I liked best as that show is one of my all time favourites.

If you haven't seen the show, get the boxset - he only appeared in three episodes, but he made those three episodes his own.

Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Aww I don't believe this, I'm only after finishing watching him in Dracula: Dead and Loving It, and I log onto boards to see this thread:(:( He was a brilliant actor.

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Complications from pneumonia apparently. Best deadpan comic ever. RIP

(in b4 "Shirley, you can't be serious")

Ah crap.
    Brilliant at what he did- master of deadpan.
    RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Very Sad, but before his hair went grey and he discovered comedy he starred in the classic Sci-fi movie "The Forbidden Planet". The special effects are pretty good for 1956.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Genuinely saddened by the news, I posted the following on the film forum, one of my favourite Nielson gags :)

My name is Sergeant Frank Drebin, Detective Lieutenant, Police Squad. There'd been a recent wave of gorgeous fashion models found naked and unconscious in laundromats on the West Side. Unfortunately, I was assigned to investigate holdups of neighborhood credit unions. I was across town doing my laundry when I got the call on the double killing. It took me twenty minutes to get there. My boss was already on the scene

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Aww no :(
    Airplane! is one of my favourite films. I love him in them.
    RIP. You'll be missed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

what a legend

this is easily my fav scene from my fav film of his

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Some deleted scenes from Naked Gun ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Some deleted scenes from Naked Gun ..

On one of those channel 4 "best comedies ever" things he talked about how much he loved coming to work every day in those films.
    Priscilla Presley also talked about how difficult it was to keep a straight face on set.
    You could just imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Will genuinely miss the man in movies, my favourite..............

Lt. Frank Drebin: Hector Savage. From Detroit. Ex-boxer. His real name was Joey Chicago.
    Ed Hocken: Oh, yeah. He fought under the name of Kid Minneapolis.
    Nordberg: I saw Kid Minneapolis fight once. In Cincinnati.
    Lt. Frank Drebin: No you're thinking of Kid New York. He fought out of Philly.
    Ed Hocken: He was killed in the ring in Houston. By Tex Colorado. You know, the Arizona Assassin.
    Nordberg: Yeah, from Dakota. I don't remember it was North or South.
    Lt. Frank Drebin: North. South Dakota was his brother. From West Virginia.
    Ed Hocken: You sure know your boxing.
    Lt. Frank Drebin: All I know is never bet on the white guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

RIP.

He will be best remembered for his roles as Frank Drebin and Dr Rumack but his most famous role is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

RIP :(

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Balls. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Surely you cannot be serious?????

I am, and don't call me surely!

(RIP)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

A brilliant actor, he will definitely be remembered for the laughs he gave. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Good luck we're all counting on you,

RIP Leslie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I heard he was ill and was taken to hospital, I didn't know what it was, turns out it was a building with alot of patients in it, but that's not important right now!

Paraphrased I know!!!
    Even the less than brilliant Spy Hard and Dracula Dead and Loving It are classics compared to the dross nowadays. His turn as The President in Scary Movie was unreal the joke about the glasses had me in stitches for days.

RIP legend!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

"Nice beaver"

I bet the dvd players will make over time the coming days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Leslie Nielsen RIP

Everyone will remember you for Airplane and Naked Gun but as well as those I will remember you for Dracula: Dead and Loving It and Spy Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I don't tend to use this word, but the man was a total LEGEND! He was beyond doubt one of the greatest comic actors to grace the big screen. He was a living brand and had the gift of being funny by just merely using his expressions. The king of Deadpan, much copied but never, never equalled.

Rest in Peace Leslie, your shoes will never be filled.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Unlike most of the Naked Gun fans here I will remember him best for his roles in Forbidden Planet and especially Creepshow (where he buried Ted Danson up to his neck in sand and waited for the tide to come in... well done sir!)

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Damn shame. He was proper funny, not the almost funny of today.

I loved Dracula: Dead and Loving It.

Going to have to go on a Drebin binge now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Frank Drebin.. Police squad .. Over & out.

Advertisement