Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would happen if everyone signed on the doll Monday?

Options
  • 28-11-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Folks what you think would happen? If everyone signed on as a form of protest and signed off an hour later, would it put the country into a tail spin? Or what if everyone with a job, called in sick? Like the Gardai and the Blue flu, afew years back.

The government dont care about the 50,000 on the streets yesterday. All they care about is money and saving face infront of the EU.

Just trying to think of some mass action, that everyone could do, that would send the message to the government :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

would need to be a pretty big doll..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

Whats the world record for the most number of signatures on a doll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

We were forced to take an 85-billion-euro bailout by the IMF, all of which goes to our banks who played a significant part in getting us into this mess in the first place.

In return, we punish the poor and the middle classes. Cut min. wage, cut welfare, raise taxes, slash jobs and services.

We also get to pay a hefty interest on that bailout, something like 15% of our tax revenue. The IMF and ECB sharks are loving it, paying themselves millions in bonuses and becoming very wealthy.

There should be anarchy on our streets, really, when you think about it, but not much happens. That march yesterday should have been attended by 500,000 not 50,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

We were forced to take an 85-billion-euro bailout by the IMF, all of which goes to our banks who play a significant part in getting us into this mess in the first place.

In return, we punish the poor and the middle classes. Cut min. wage, cut welfare, slash jobs and services.

We also get to pay a hefty interest on that bailout, something like 15% of our tax revenue. The IMF and ECB sharks are loving it, paying themselves millions in bonuses and becoming very wealthy.

There should be anarchy on our streets, really, when you think about it, but not much happens. That march yesterday should have been attended by 500,000 not 50,000.
    Whats all that got to do with an autographed barbie?

(there are too many recession threads here already lets not turn this into another)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

chem wrote: »
    Just trying to think of some mass action, that everyone could do, that would send the message to the government :mad:

We'll get our chance in the new year. Lets not **** it up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Folks what you think would happen? If everyone signed on as a form of protest and signed off an hour later, :

Sounds like a great idea, I'm sure people would be delighted to queue for hours in the snow..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Gary4279 wrote: »
    We'll get our chance in the new year. Lets not **** it up.

It will be a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, too many numbnuts in this country gave FF free reign to fcuk the place up over the last 15 or so years, its far too late to do anything now except accepting the inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

I bagsy the left boobie...(thats usually the bigger one, yea? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What would happen if all the wasters and liggards who dole scrounge, whilst doing 'odd-jobs' on the side were forced to look for work and actually attend courses and interviews.?

there's one for ya:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We could probably fit all the signatures on a stretch armstrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

The government dont care about the 50,000 on the streets yesterday. All they care about is money and saving face infront of the EU.

I would have liked the leaders of the protest to finish it with an ultimatum to Cowen. Something on the lines of " Meet us before Wednesday or we'll have a quarter of our members walk off the job on Thursday for 24 hours." Follow that with escalations if needed.
    Its late in the day - IMO stoppages would have solved a lot 2 years ago. at least we'd have been taken seriously. Better late than never and if my family and I need to suffer I'd rather have some say and action in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You cant just go sign on just like that. If anything, it would just cause a massive queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I would have liked the leaders of the protest to finish it with an ultimatum to Cowen. Something on the lines of " Meet us before Wednesday or we'll have a quarter of our members walk off the job on Thursday for 24 hours." Follow that with escalations if needed.

"What do we want?"
    "General strike"
    That was the call from the crowd when David Begg was on stage

I wonder if the unions have enough money set aside for strike pay though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I can tell you as a fact, that the government has bought tear gas as it expects that the Gardai will have to use it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

trolls-doll-red-hair.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

krudler wrote: »
    would need to be a pretty big doll..

LOL:D

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,001 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I can tell you as a fact, that the government has bought tear gas as it expects that the Gardai will have to use it.:(

That's another waste as we've all been crying non-stop for the last two or three years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Its late in the day - IMO stoppages would have solved a lot 2 years ago. at least we'd have been taken seriously. Better late than never and if my family and I need to suffer I'd rather have some say and action in it.

Well if I was in Government at the moment and some union guys said that to me, the first thing I'd say would be "If you strike then we're no longer abiding by the Croke Park agreement".

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

Please point to the spot on the doll where Cowen touched you...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

ooh I want to sign on the doll.

Barbie or sindy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

amdublin wrote: »

Barbie or sindy?
    Wendy...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

amdublin wrote: »

Barbie or sindy?

A rag doll actually. Everyone sign it as a form of protest.

Come on people. I'm on the rag. Are you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That's another waste as we've all been crying non-stop for the last two or three years anyway.

Have "we all"?

I for one haven't been what with getting a new job and buying a house and whatnot. Not everyone was hit by this recession.

Also not everyone would be able to sign on because a million plus of us actually have jobs to go to on Monday. More uninformed rabble-rabble bull**** in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What would happen if all the wasters and liggards who dole scrounge, whilst doing 'odd-jobs' on the side were forced to look for work and actually attend courses and interviews.?

Interesting Question but of course nonsensical, here we go again "Wasters, Liggards (not sure what they are), Odd Jobbers & Dole Scroungers.

So here goes my sunday morning rant!

When are people going to stop apportioning Blame in the wrong direction. Some people seem to be living in a different Planet and indeed era. Can we remind ourselves 300k are NEWLY unemployed, from all walks of life. Many professionals, many with young families and many certainly not happy abut being in a situation through no fault of their own.

I am particularly annoyed at this factually incorrect assertion that some how forcing Dole claimants onto courses is some how going rescue us all from the abyss. Lets examine what is actually on offer.

Fas currently have a wide range of courses available but sadly most are as about as much use as a three legged hamster.

Training center locations exclude a vast portion of the population, some impossible to get too unless the claimants have transport or can actually access pretty poor public transport. These not withstanding the cost of getting to centers with little or no allowances available.

Take one example, I volunteered for a particular course last year, arrived to find a tutor who was barely shaving and completely out of their depth. 12 attendees for the course, 11 with not a word of English, absenteeism ran at 80% and 2 lasted for the entire course. It was farcical in the extreme.

Lets look at the companies paid vast sums to run these courses. There has been well documented examples of questionable practices which include fraud, poor if any accreditation, Results fixed Etc etc. Not withstanding these issues WTF would encourage any self respecting candidate to consider a single course at FAS until these and others matters are addressed.

Further to the above, I am personally aware a number of these third party training companies who took it upon themselves to dock students benefit entitlements, in particular the docking of pay for B/Holidays based on the fact the courses did not take place. On investigation it transpired correctly these companies had no authority to deduct any benefit with the exception of No shows. It further transpired some of these companies had being doing this UN be known to FAS or the department of social welfare for years. One can only surmise where these deductions were going.

I am not apportioning blame to Fas apart from disgraceful oversight issues.

Finally, some people think its a very easy thing to suddenly apply and get one of these illustrious courses, sadly its the opposite with very limited places available, God knows how the government are going to implement this new ridiculous ultimatum re forcing claimants to do training courses or else. Are they suddenly going to employ hundreds of Tutors and build lots more training centers? I think not. Finally but of critical importance is the not to often published issue about penalizing claimants who actually and genuinely want to educate further. There is absolutely no incentive, in fact its the opposite and claimants can faced enormous if not full penalties if they even suggest going back to further education.

I say cop on to anyone who thinks the situation is as black and white re the notion of forcing claimants onto ludicrous courses that only benefit the Private training companies, most of which are vultures.

I am all for Community based employment schemes, real experience that is beneficial, I am indeed all for further education but only if it is relevant and offers candidates some, any prospects. Whats on offer now offers nothing but further depression.

O i almost forgot the Interview point, Perhaps it is not entirely clear but dole recipients are in fact required to prove occasionally they are actively seeking employment. I would however suggest that some are entitled to get a little demoralized after 100's of applications with little or no responses. Just recently a case involving a family about to loose their home highlighted the fact the husband at made 1,760 job applications in less than 12 month.

Lets get real here, there are few if any Jobs out there.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

How is signing a doll going to help?

Sorry I've just woken up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

everybodys signature would have to be as small as possible so the could all fit on the doll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Is this your monthly shíte talk entry?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

if we were using pencils would the doll get lead poisoning??

Advertisement