Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Father Ted the best ever Irish Comedy Show?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nah, seriously FT dealt with British eccentricities & hangups in the same way that Fr Ted did with the Irish.

Abbreviation Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Thought Black Books was way better than Fr. Ted. Its as Irish as Fr. ted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Padgeman

I can't believe we're this far into the thread, and no-one has mentioned the hilarious Fade Street :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

Bishop Brennan in the bath while on the phone to Ted....

"If you ever try to bull**** me again, i will rip off yer arms!"

Then a sexy babe goes into the bath with him as he hangs up the phone!

Classic

Don't forget Father Dougal's "Spiderbaby"!

"it has the body of a spider but is acutually a baby"

Classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Padgeman wrote: »
    I can't believe we're this far into the thread, and no-one has mentioned the hilarious Fade Street :rolleyes:

The hilarious what now? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

19th of July? Would that be the day the Ice Age ended Ted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Fairground S1EP1

Father Dougal : Ah come on Ted we should go, last year I had a go at the horse riding.

Father Ted : I didn't know you could ride horses?

Father Dougal : Ah well Ted it was not a real horse; it was this owl fella with a saddle on him. God he must have been about 80, of course he couldn't go very fast. I was lashing him with the whip and all that. Not much of a response from him..

Father Ted : And how long were you up on him ?

Father Dougal : Say it was about ehhh an hour..

Father Ted : So you were up on top of an 80 year old man riding him around for 60 minutes ? You do realise that imagine will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Father Dougal : Yeah it was great

Pricelesss..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I think the current Irish Government are giving it a good run for it's money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Yes, by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

Thought Black Books was way better than Fr. Ted. Its as Irish as Fr. ted anyway.

I have series one black book on dvd..welcome 2 the dark side!

• Advertisement

yesno1234 wrote: »

"No Dougal, they can't be that specific about things like that."

I think then Dougal shows him something saying that it actually was the 19th of July. :rolleyes:

Then they say: oh god, is it time for father jack's bath??? :eek:

And then they calm down and say no, remember, he just had his bath.... a few months ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

"Butlers after winning two million quid, now he's off to Belvedere"
    Quality, pure quality.

Actually, if they're on dvd I've figured out my secret santa
    toby with the squeaky voice in the cycling shorts! and the other posh guy was a sock designer, actor that played him was in the eurovision episode of father ted.
    anto was in ballykissangel, think the wife moved to carrigstown. it wasnt bad but Its been a long time since Ive seen it, not sure how it would have aged.

'paths to freedom' was great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Fr.Ted: "Would you like me to turn on some music for you Paul?"

Fr Stone: "........No I'm fine.

(silence)

Fr. Ted: "Or maybe you'd like me to turn on the telly?"

Fr. Stone: ".........No thanks, I'm fine."

(more silence)

Fr. Ted: "Have you seen Fr Shorthall lately?"

Fr. Stone: "...........No!"

Fr. Ted : "God, he must be about eighty now"

Fr. Stone: ....................I suppose so.

(even more silence)

That was one of my favourite episodes:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

yesno1234 wrote: »

Galway was invaded by indians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Children!

Leave it to Mrs. O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Heard this bit from tommy tiernan last week on the radio

Tiernan spoke of the part he played in the death of fellow comic Dermot Morgan in a 2009 documentary shown on TV3 Ireland. Tiernan played a priest in an episode of Father Ted in which Morgan played the title character. The episode, which was the last filmed and the last broadcast in 1998, featured a scene where Tiernan's character, Fr. Kevin, was depressed and sitting at a table while Ted was jumping around and dancing. The producers said Tiernan's face was not quite right and they had to do the scene again and again. Morgan was said to be exhausted but persuaded to give it one more go. Then filming wrapped and Tiernan went to London the next day. That evening a taxi driver informed him that Morgan had unexpectedly and suddenly died. At the funeral Ardal O'Hanlon, who played Father Dougal McGuire, turned to Tiernan and whispered in his ear "you killed Father Ted!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Deffo the best Irish comedy show ever.
    There are sooo many good episodes, it's hard to choose, but my favourite episodes are the p*ss take of the Eurovision song contest, the ''flight into terror' one where their plane is going down and the holidays episode where Graham Norton guest starred as the leader of a youth group. Oh and the one where 'funland' comes to craggy island - " A child has become lodged in the tunnel of goats"

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

In fairness, it hasn't had much competition

phill106 wrote: »
    Heard this bit from tommy tiernan last week on the radio

Tiernan spoke of the part he played in the death of fellow comic Dermot Morgan in a 2009 documentary shown on TV3 Ireland. Tiernan played a priest in an episode of Father Ted in which Morgan played the title character. The episode, which was the last filmed and the last broadcast in 1998, featured a scene where Tiernan's character, Fr. Kevin, was depressed and sitting at a table while Ted was jumping around and dancing. The producers said Tiernan's face was not quite right and they had to do the scene again and again. Morgan was said to be exhausted but persuaded to give it one more go. Then filming wrapped and Tiernan went to London the next day. That evening a taxi driver informed him that Morgan had unexpectedly and suddenly died. At the funeral Ardal O'Hanlon, who played Father Dougal McGuire, turned to Tiernan and whispered in his ear "you killed Father Ted!"

Is this true? What an insensitive and horrible thing to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I dunno, Dermot Morgan probably would have found it funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I dunno, Dermot Morgan probably would have found it funny.

Well i definitely heard tommy himself say it on the radio. I found it hilarious, and like General zod, I think dermot also would have found it funny.
    Other then the fact that he was dead of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Wellthatsthebusinesslikeyouknowwhatimeanyouknowinandoutthedoorsandgiddyup

Advertisement