Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Father Ted the best ever Irish Comedy Show?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Xavi6 wrote: »
    "It's only a bleedin' whistle"

I have had that whistle for 40 years. It saved my grandfather so it did. Did it really? It did. He was being executed by the British. They had him up against a wall and they shot him and the bullets hit the whistle in his pocket and bounced off him. God Almighty! So he survived?
    No, no. They just reloaded, shot him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Whether is is Irish or not, still it was the best show by miles at the time. Used to be on after poxy Friends I think on a Monday night? When I came to Korea the mammy sent me the DVD Box set. Might break that out again now.

Some quotes:

Father Clippit says a good long mass. Four hours he does. Since his stroke

You'd better get going, because milk gets sour. Unless it's UHT milk, but there's no demand for that. Because it's ****e.

Dougal: Watch this, Ted. (rubs letters off blackboard) You see? You can rub off the letters.
    Ted: But, Dougal, you can do that with any blackboard.
    Dougal: What?

Dougal: Can I stay up tonight to watch the scary film?
    Ted: Ah, no no no. The last time you stayed up to watch a scary film you ended up having to sleep in my bed. I wouldn't mind, but it wasn't even a scary film.
    Dougal: Come on, Ted. A Volkswagen with a mind of its own. If that isn't scary, I don't know what is.

Sheep, like all wool-bearing animals, instinctively travel north, where it's colder, and they won't be so stuffy.

Ted: Maybe he's agoraphobic.
    Dougal: Jack? Scared of fighting? I don't think so, Ted!

Ted: What was it [Jack] used to say about the needy? He had a term for them.
    Dougal: A shower of bastards.

So there he is. Risen from the dead. Like that feller.... E.T.

Put your clothes back on, Carol, I can't concentrate.

Dougal: What's going on?
    Priest: I think Ted has a plan
    Dougal: No. I mean in general

Of course... they all have lovely bottoms!

Dougal: (trying to pray) Hail Mary who art in heaven.......
    Ted: Hallowed.
    Dougal: Oh yeah. Hallowed Be....
    Ted: Thy Name...
    Dougal: Papa Don't Preach........
    Ted: Dougal, you know you can praise the lord with sleep.
    Dougal: Really Ted? You can praise him in lots of ways, like that time you said that I could praise him just by leaving the room.
    Ted: Yes, that was a good one !

Jack: Where are the other two?

"Attention please, a child has been lost in the tunnel of goats."

"I won't be happy until the last rabbit round here is the one inside your head, working the controls!"

Ted: Dougal, you can't sit around here watching television all day - chewing gum for the eyes!
    Dougal: Oh no thanks Ted, I've got these crisps, here.

Dougal: Well, who cares anyway? They come in, they strip down the wallpaper, they fumigate the place and they're gone. What's so bad about that?
    Ted: Dougal, they're bishops!
    (pause)
    Dougal: ...Oh right, yes.

Old priest: I really shouldn't be here.

From http://www.feck.net/splange/ftquote.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Aldebaran wrote: »
    When it yawns it sounds like Liam Neeson chasing a load of hens around inside a barrel.
    And instead of a mouth its got four arses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Probably was the best.....loved Fergus's Wedding..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Father Ted definitely the best Irish sitcom. Among all the Fawlty Towers, Only Fools etc Joking Apart if anyone remembers it never gets a mention, funniest sitcom ever in my opinion.

http://www.jokingapart.co.uk/main.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

To me it will always be Irish no matter who produced it. It was a deadly programme, I still find myself watching it from time to time when I see it on. Loved it :D Father Jack is legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

del88 wrote: »
    Probably was the best.....loved Fergus's Wedding..

Liked that too. Bachelor's walk was brilliant aswell but still none of them even near father ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Without doubt the best. Any show that has so many catchphrases which enter into the national vocabulary as to be up there. I think what made it great was the combination of Irish writers and actors who knew all the quirks of Irish society inside out, backed up by the British ability to mercilessly rip the piss out of a subject and take no prisoners with people's sensibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Yes, yes it is...or was...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

it's dumbed down comedy at it's best

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Fr Stack: What are we watching?
    Priest 1(can't remember his name): We're watching the sports day
    Fr Stack: Lot's of young fellas running around in shorts. That's the type of thing you like watching, and I bet you like that too(nods at priest 2). Course you're proberly imagining what they're like without shorts. You're sitting there, imagining that with a big smile on your face.......... Ya dirty feck*rs
    Fr Ted: Fr Stack if you're trying to get to us, you're not doing it
    Fr Stack: Yes I am
    Priest 1: Well I have to say you're a really rude man
    fr Stack: If you ever say that to me again, i'll put your head through the wall
    Priest 2: Well eh, we really should be off now
    Fr Stack: Bye girls, pair of w*nkers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Paths to Freedom was the best ever Irish Comedy Show closely followed by Sarah and Steve. Father Ted was one of the best Channel 4 shows and easily in the top 5 best British comedy shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Marie ridgeway

No the best irish comedy ever was Hot milk and Pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

gamgsam wrote: »
    Yes. Next.

I think that's all the questions he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I think Father Ted was funny when it was out first but has aged terribly. The most over rated comedy of all time
    Fupp off :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 arid

It's definitely an Irish show. If you're being pedantic Irish/British. But seriously, Irish writers, directors, cast and all the location shots filmed in Ireland... the British contribution was only the technical stuff, the studio and the money. :P Not to mention so many of the little Irish in-jokes and references that make it so much better.

In answer to the question, yes, yes it was. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Where are you going with yor fetlocks blowing in the... wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Yes OP. "No Dougal, those cows are far away."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

FFS,of course it's an irish show.
    Just because it had English producers does not make it any less Irish.
    Thats like sayin Robbie Keane is an English footballer because Tottenham pay his wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

The lovely girls competition when the girls were walking around the mini traffic cones has me in stitches every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Oh much worse than Hitler. You wouldn't find Hitler playing jungle music at 3 o'clock in the morning![SIZE=+4][SIZE=+2][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1]

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Henry Cellars is my hero

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

What's the competition to Father Ted? Upwardly fcuking mobile? Some ****e starring twink? Of course it's the best Irish show ever and of course it was not made by rte, the shower of cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Father Ted is by a mile the greatest TV programme of all time imo

love this bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gID6DpICZ8

• Registered Users Posts: 27 arid

joannaman wrote: »
    What's the competition to Father Ted? Upwardly fcuking mobile? Some ****e starring twink? Of course it's the best Irish show ever and of course it was not made by rte, the shower of cnuts.

Paths to Freedom was good. :pac:

Other than that I agree entirely. When it comes to comedy, RTÉ are like the anti-Midas - everything they touch turns to sh1t. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

df1985 wrote: »
    The lovely girls competition when the girls were walking around the mini traffic cones has me in stitches every single time.

ALL the girls have lovely bottoms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

FFS,of course it's an irish show.
    Just because it had English producers does not make it any less Irish.
    Thats like sayin Robbie Keane is an English footballer because Tottenham pay his wages.

or Mick McCarthy, oh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Sitec wrote: »
    Henry Cellars is my hero

+1

Sack me !! sack me !! I made the BBC :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Paths to Freedom was fantastic. Genuinely funny without resorting to slapstick (much).

Advertisement