Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Often do you Use/Hear Irish In your Everyday Life?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Weekly
    johnmcdnl wrote: »
    only on TG4 :( really wish I could hear it more often and have the chance to use it myself

You can, There are Ciorcal Comhrás(Conversation Groups) All over the country, If there isent one near where you live then start one.

These are two in Cavan

CAVAN

Time: Every Wednesday at 11.00am
    Place: Room 115, Riverfront Hotel, Virginia, Co. Cavan.
    Contact: Billy Kearns billykearns@gmail.com / +353(0) 86 8837574

Time: Every Wednesday night at 8.00pm
    Place: Farnham Arms Hotel, Cavan, Co. Cavan.

Is Leor Beirt
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Weekly
    Of course I would be, slightly.

You think I wouldn't attempt to up my Irish skills if I decided to go and live in the Gaelthact (Gaeltacht?) where, for the record, I have no intention of ever living?

I moved to France and in order to live here, I'm learning French, because I need to.

Good for you.

You made a sweeping statement, ie;
    You don't need Irish to live in Ireland. Or anywhere.
    I pointed out that having Irish while living in a gaeltacht would improve someones quality of life there (if one is into dealing with other people that is).
    Now you could live in Kiribati, or learn any language on the planet for all I care, but it won't change this fact.
    Help me out here so, as I clearly am in need of some life enhancing.

Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Love the language. But I resent how people politicize it, people shouldn't speak it because they feel guilty and associate it with 'Irishness' they should speak it because they want to and have a love for the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Never used it or heard it being used in everyday life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep funny about the second part regarding the lack of our darker citizens in such schools and how this is nonsense. Lots of rhetoric, no stats. I wonder why... Just show us the stats.

I had an interesting conversation with someone from the Department of Education about this. He said a lot of foreign nationals were interested in sending their kids to a gaelscoil because they were seen as more academically rigorous.

• Advertisement

Weekly
    I had an interesting conversation with someone from the Department of Education about this. He said a lot of foreign nationals were interested in sending their kids to a gaelscoil because they were seen as more academically rigorous.

Any Idea if there are statistics available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

You made a sweeping statement

Ok, I see what you're saying and fair enough.

I'll revise my statement, for the vast majority of Irish people you don't need Irish to live in Ireland. For your tiny corner of our tiny little island we might need a small bit of Irish.

Good for me? Yup.

Weekly

Thats why some people call them "elitist" ;)
    "They is getin more book learnin than the orinary folks is"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mdoycar

Most Days
    You should see Irish every day unless you are blind - all signposts in this country are bi-lingual!

I try to speak cupla focail to my little girl every day, good for the both of us!

Weekly
    Ok, I see what you're saying and fair enough.

I'll revise my statement, for the vast majority of Irish people you don't need Irish to live in Ireland. For your tiny corner of our tiny little island we might need a small bit of Irish.

Good for me? Yup.

Nope.
    I don't live in a Gaeltacht.
    There are a few Gaeltachtaí in the country, not just "one tiny corner of our tiny island".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

never ever I only speak english and have only heard one woman ever speak it on a bus I was surprised at first I taught she was foreign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Any Idea if there are statistics available?

I have seen a few studies online that say that the younger kids do better on standardized tests. But I haven't seen precise data on foreign national enrollment.

Weekly
    I have seen a few studies online that say that the younger kids do better on standardized tests. But I haven't seen precise data on foreign national enrollment.

Well, the benefits of bi-lingualism have been long established, It would be nice to see the figures, From what I have seen non-nationals can be much more open minded about Irish than many Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Weekly
    I speak Irish regularly. There are many people from the Gaeltacht who are much more comfortable speaking Irish than English. Just as when you go to Spain or Italy while people may have English they are still much happier if you can speak their language.

There is some wonderful writing in the Irish language - my favourite at the moment is Micheál O Conghaile. You need Irish to enjoy this. Even older books like An Béal Bocht/The Poor mouth which have been translated - they are far better in the original Irish.

All the things which make our lives worth living are the things we don't NEED - like Music, Sport, Shopping, TV etc - whatever you're into yourself. The notion that Irish should be considered irrelevant or unimportant just because you dont NEED IT is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

When I was younger, I used to hear it a lot because my grandparents were both born in a Gaeltacht area and spoke Irish at home. My granny died nine years ago though, and after that, my grandad stopped speaking Irish. Still hear it every so often if relatives visit, mainly at Christmas and things. I love the language, so would definitely like to hear it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Weekly
    Most days for seven more months :)

Weekly
    Most days for seven more months :)

LC?

Why give up on it then? the hard bit will be over.
    (Getting through the LC without developing a resentment for the language)

You can actually begin to enjoy it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Never, not once, ever spoken a word aside from pisstakey stuff, of it since finishing school, I couldnt string a basic sentence together at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Most Days
    Daily, my kiddo attends a Gaelscoil. I love when he blurts something out as ghaeilge without even realizing it.. Or bursts into song :D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Most Days
    Every single day but doesn't bother me if nobody else does!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I speak more french tbh.

The only time i hear or speak irish is when i fantasising about Grainne Seoige.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Weekly
    LC?

Why give up on it then? the hard bit will be over.
    (Getting through the LC without developing a resentment for the language)

You can actually begin to enjoy it after that.

Nah I don't like the language, it doesn't sound nice and I feel stupid speaking it. i probably won't stay in Ireland anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Apart from indulging in the odd bit of cod Irish while abroad..........
    "Hey Pól, a chara, féach ar an sudóg seo, ta me ag teacht i mo briste!"

...........I wouldnt really use it or hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i speak it every day, and would sometimes use it when texting my friends/family

i'm not from a gaeltacht area, but my mother has a huge love for the language and passed that on to us all

i think its a very expressive language

i often have RnaG or TG4 on, just to keep up my familiarity with the different dialects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I hear Russian, Polish & Chinese far more often than Irish, come to think of it I can't remember the last time I heard Irish being spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Most Days
    We need more pop culture i nGaeilge, like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Ta an traein seo ag dul go dti Ma Nuad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Monthly
    My friend speaks Irish at home to her kids who are both in gaelscoileanna and I understand everything they're saying and can answer some things they'd ask me but I'm nowhere near fluent. The kids can interchange fluidly between speaking English to me and Irish to their mam, which is really cool to listen to.

I speak more Spanish than I do Irish, and have no desire to build on my Irish, despite what I just said about it being cool to hear the kids speak it. I'd rather learn languages I can use outside of this poxy country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,549 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Most Days
    I hear it and use it everyday, I am teaching in a primary school.
    Even when I wasn't, I would still use it alot.
    If you do not use it, you will lose it!

• Advertisement

Fairly regularly as my boss is a fluent Irish speaker, she usually throws a few words in during the day. If a customer comes in who is also fluent she usually ends up chatting away in Irish for a few minutes.

Advertisement