Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a doctors note

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Well he doesn't so what's your point Roger Irrelevant?

ehh i think my point is pretty obvious captain slow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Im on a horse...

I mean, I dont work in the public sector. Hence, your point is irrelevant.

Im on a horse...

I mean, I dont work in the public sector. Hence, your point is irrelevant.

It was just an observation more than a point..didnt mean to hit a nerve tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

talla10 wrote: »
    ehh i think my point is pretty obvious captain slow!!

Roger don't be a dodger, if the cap fits wear it! Student taking duvet day will not cause the implosion of the known universe. Thank you, drive through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Oh yeah sorry-forgot there were no wimmen on the internet!
    [deep voice] i'm a man[/deep voice]

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

kowloon wrote: »

Haha that's exactly what popped into my head when i was writing that post:D
    My favourite film ever!

Roger don't be a dodger, if the cap fits wear it! Student taking duvet day will not cause the implosion of the known universe. Thank you, drive through.

I didn't suggest it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Colleges do take roll calls. Or you have to sign in. You had to attend at least 80% of labs and 60% of lectures. If you don't, you fail and have to repeat. Unless you have a doctors note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

Just a heads up, I'm not positive but I think using a false medical cert might legally be fraud, a prosecutable offence. The college mightn't be too pushed about pursuing it if they found out (although they would likely kick you out of the course) but I'd say there are a lot of doctors that would pursue it if the cert had their name on it.

Then there's the chance that the doctor might have the right to sue you.

I must look up what the law in regard to this kind of thing is.

Its ok, youve frightened me enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You don't wanna go in because of a presentation? I acknowledge the fact that they aren't easy to do, I hate doing them myself, but you'd actually go looking for a doctors cert to miss one? That's mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

ORLY? wrote: »
    Just a heads up, I'm not positive but I think using a false medical cert might legally be fraud, a prosecutable offence. The college mightn't be too pushed about pursuing it if they found out (although they would likely kick you out of the course) but I'd say there are a lot of doctors that would pursue it if the cert had their name on it.

Then there's the chance that the doctor might have the right to sue you.

I must look up what the law in regard to this kind of thing is.

Our HR dept tried to follow them up with several docs.
    Docs cannot answer any questions whatsoever to a third party. They can give the patient a letter or a report about anything for the patient to forward on, but they cannot forward it on themselves.
    They cant even conform that they gave a patient a letter.

Easiest way for companies to avoid this is to pick up the doctors fees. Then they could be sure the person was at the docs if they got an expenses claim for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Colleges do take roll calls. Or you have to sign in. You had to attend at least 80% of labs and 60% of lectures. If you don't, you fail and have to repeat. Unless you have a doctors note.

Load of bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

You Tosser, you and the rest of the Dole Bludgers are what has this country F*****d. The sooner they tackle the system which encourages this kind of behaviour the better!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Savage93 wrote: »
    You Tosser, you and the rest of the Dole Bludgers are what has this country F*****d. The sooner they tackle the system which encourages this kind of behaviour the better!

Lol, go fúck yourself buddy! Im on €100 a week, €55 of which goes to transport and lunch :pac:

I just love when cúnts like you show your real true colours in threads like these :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Thank god this isn't true or else i wouldn't have made it past first year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Thats not the case for all college course. My friends attended waaay less than 60% in labs and lectures and they were doing a degree course in UL.

Even if that rule was the case, you can always get a mate to sign you, especially for lectures where theres usually a larger number of people

bleg wrote: »
    Load of bollox.
    Spunge wrote: »
    Thank god this isn't true or else i wouldn't have made it past first year

IvySlayer has a point.

In the Institute of Technology's, attendance is quite a part of the course. 70% attendance has to be achieved in the labs in my course to pass the module.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

mars bar wrote: »
    IvySlayer has a point.

In the Institute of Technology's, attendance is quite a part of the course. 70% attendance has to be achieved in the labs in my course to pass the module.

It was 100% in our labs. Labs and lectures are different though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Savage93 wrote: »
    Lol, go fúck yourself buddy! Im on €100 a week, €55 of which goes to transport and lunch :pac:

I just love when cúnts like you show your real true colours in threads like these :)

Banned

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

How do you get it?

Im not actually sick, but dont wanna go in on Monday. If I go to the doctors, will he give me one regardless of the fact that Im in good health? ..will I be paying some extravagant price for it also? or will it be covered by my VHI?

Cheers

You get it by being sick.

Why would a doctor write a certificate stating that in his/her opinion you are unfit for work/college when that his not his opinion at all??

Go to work/college.

amdublin wrote: »

Why would a doctor write a certificate stating that in his/her opinion you are unfit for work/college when that his not his opinion at all??

Go to work/college.

Exactly.

I've only ever had one doctors cert in the 3 years I've been in college and that was two weeks ago when I needed it. I know a lad in my course who said he needed one when his attendance was bad coz he couldn't be bothered coming in but he was just worried about losing his grant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

mars bar wrote: »
    i know a lad in my course who said he needed one when his attendance was bad coz he couldn't be bothered coming in but he was just worried about losing his grant.

Which seems to be the exact scenario here...

The mind boggles :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

OP, I don't really care whatever you do but I would like to just add:

If you do this presentation, even though you're nervous and shy about it, when you finish it you will be so happy with yourself. On the other hand, if you don't do it, you'll have to know for the rest of your life, that you were scared.

You were scared, you could have done something and you done nothing.

F**k the note dude, do that presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

If you give a doctors note, won't you just have to do the presentation another day? Just skip the single class and do the rest of the day if you don't want to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

There's a doctors surgery on O'Connel Street in Dublin, where you go in a door, and down into the basement. ANd there used to be a female doctor in there. I was about to give quite a detailed description of her, but then I realised it could lose her her job.

I went in there once, and told her what was wrong, and all she did was open her notebook and say 'OK, how many days off work do you want?'.

I remember when I went in at first, I asked her 'How are you?' politely, and she said 'Meh, yu' know, Monday!".

I suspect being a Doctor in Ireland on O'Connel Street was not fulfilling her the way she had hoped. My kind of Doctor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

amdublin wrote: »

Go to work/college.

It rare for me to do this but my GP know me over 20yrs from 17 now 41. Anyway I may do it once or twice a year max if at all, his position is he know I enjoy my work, hence if I am coming to him looking for time off something is not right within me.

Odysseus wrote: »
    It rare for me to do this but my GP know me over 20yrs from 17 now 41. Anyway I may do it once or twice a year max if at all, his position is he know I enjoy my work, hence if I am coming to him looking for time off something is not right within me.

So you are sick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Actually I'm off the past two weeks with a condition, a quick serach of my recent post would confirm that. However, I generally never miss work. I'm getting better but think it will be about 10 days before I start back

Advertisement