Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM cards skimming?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Well, in no particular order, if you want high level fraud, Goldman Sachs are Americans of Jewish extraction. Fingers Fingleton is Irish, so is Sean Fitzpatrick, Charles Haughey, Bertie Ahern......thats one bunch dealt with. If you want computer based crime, Asians can be very smart. If you want impatient amateurs, then its the Nigerians. Eastern Europeans, many are of Russian extraction, and their mathematical abilities would be extremely good.

Can't single out any one race. I do know that I have always actively disliked and distrusted Nigerians, and despite all attempts to overcome that prejudice, it has proven to be justified time, and time again.

If that warrants a ban, then I know why I do not intend living in Ireland again. Politically correct nonsense of the highest order. Put it this way Bertie Ahern, Brian Cowen, Charles Haughey on one side, versus General Sani Abacha, General Ibrahim Babangida, Olaguson Obasanjo on the other.

I'd take the Irish side anytime compared to the last three jungle monkeys whose existence justified recolonisation every day they lived and mismanaged.

Mod.
    User banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

dermo88 wrote: »
    Well, in no particular order, if you want high level fraud, Goldman Sachs are Americans of Jewish extraction. Fingers Fingleton is Irish, so is Sean Fitzpatrick, Charles Haughey, Bertie Ahern......thats one bunch dealt with. If you want computer based crime, Asians can be very smart. If you want impatient amateurs, then its the Nigerians. Eastern Europeans, many are of Russian extraction, and their mathematical abilities would be extremely good.

Can't single out any one race. I do know that I have always actively disliked and distrusted Nigerians, and despite all attempts to overcome that prejudice, it has proven to be justified time, and time again.

If that warrants a ban, then I know why I do not intend living in Ireland again. Politically correct nonsense of the highest order. Put it this way Bertie Ahern, Brian Cowen, Charles Haughey on one side, versus General Sani Abacha, General Ibrahim Babangida, Olaguson Obasanjo on the other.

I'd take the Irish side anytime compared to the last three jungle monkeys whose existence justified recolonisation every day they lived and mismanaged.

Well if that's not blatantly racist, I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭iMac Hunt

the exact bank should be reported, why is the op not naming it

It's the Ulster ATM outside the Ulster Bank branch on Lower Rathmines Road at the corner of the swan centre next to the book shop. I think there's another Ulster bank ATM further up the road near the Travel Lodge but it wasn't that one.

I still can't get over the fact that it happened on such a busy street and that in the space of a few days that someone in Illinois was trying to withdraw money with my card! Fair play to the fraud department for spotting it, I hope the criminals weren't successful in getting anyone else's money. Will call into the Ulster bank in question tomorrow and will mention it to the Guards as well, at least if they're aware that this is going on it might draw attention to anything acting suspicious around an ATM.

amacachi wrote: »
    Don't they need the PIN as well though? I can't believe how many people don't, I've seen people's PINs from the bus ffs.

You can't see it in the OPs pictures but there was a rectangular piece of plastic to the left of the keypad, I'm guessing this is where a camera was hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

It's useless to discuss which branch/ATM it was - I'm sure "they" will not attack Rathmines for some time. JUST REMEMBER to be careful, especially now, pre-Xmas time. While people think about presents and stuff they often forget about safety...

PS - if anyone think about contacting media feel free to use my pics - at least it's Ulster Bank ATM pictured..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

It obviously happens quite a bit. A friend of mine in England was scammed out of £600 via this method just 2 weeks ago according to his facebook status. Apparently he went to withdraw money and got the 'insufficient funds' thing so he ordered a statement. The 'transaction' never showed up on his statement but according to another status update,he was getting it back....(dunno whether he did or not).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Now where was I before I was rudely interrupted.

Oh yes......ATM card skimming. Anyway, just always block the keypad with your paw, in case there is a foreign national nearby scanning details.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

a couple of years ago my card was skimmed at the old boi atm at the bottom of grafton street.

seven hundred euro they got from me, i eventually got the money back. initially i went to pearse street station to report the theft, they told me i would have to report it to raheny as that was the closests station to where my local boi branch was. went there only to be told i would have to go to the closest garda station in relation to where i was living at the time which was the bridewell :mad:

the moral of the story always shield with your hand when typing in your atm number with the other.

as i say eventually after a few weeks i was refunded, was in fact a good way of saving, u could say it was money in the bank :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Artur.PL

it's another one skimming device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marymcaleese

I'm afraid not much has been done since the last post - my card has been skimmed in one of these two ATM's, but I'm not sure which one - either the one next to the bookshop on Lower Rathmines Rd- Ulster Bank ATM, or the one next to Travelodge, as I have used only these two this month, which appeared to be enough to lose all my money. My bank (National Irish Bank) said they were surprised and it's something very uncommon blah blah blah. I couldnt get any info from them how to recognize the ATM's with the skimming devices. As four of my friends were also robbed I guess the safest way to take out the money is using ATM's in the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Would think the president, of all people, would be safe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Found out today that my card had been skimmed. Bank didn't think that they had my PIN fortunately. How far back should I check on my statements if they're telling me this now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Katkatim

Henno30 wrote: »
    Found out today that my card had been skimmed. Bank didn't think that they had my PIN fortunately. How far back should I check on my statements if they're telling me this now?

Your bank should be able to tell you when and where the card was skimmed. You should try to find out from them. I'd assume they checked your account and had they seen a suspecious transaction, they would have asked you about it. In any case, to be on the safe side, ask them if they can tell you when it was skimmed. Did they cancel your card? If not, ask them to cancel it and issue a new one. Don't count on the fraudsters not having your PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

There's a good thread about this in the banking forum, it has more pictures showing examples of skimming/camera devices at ATMs: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054865036

It's a simple thing but people should always note the small details and characteristics of ATMs they use regularly so they can recognise more easily if the machine might have been tampered with.

Advertisement