Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa v India

Options
  • 26-11-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

Forget the Ashes.....India v South Africa in South Africa......the REAL DEAL starts in 3 weeks time!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Steyn will destroy India on Saffer pitches, Raina especially is going to struggle horribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Its all about Steyn v Sehwag.....nothing else matters:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

booth70 wrote: »
    Forget the Ashes.....India v South Africa in South Africa......the REAL DEAL starts in 3 weeks time!!
    Yeah right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Does anyone know what Amla is averaging for this year so far?

JustinDee wrote: »
    Yeah right.

A series between the number one and two in the world many would argue means a bit more than one between the number 4 and 5. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

A series that this year happens to be 1 v 2 is not the same as a series that has been played out for generations by the same 2 nations.

Would the current 1 v 2 be as interesting as India v Pakistan for OP?

I'll take the ashes anyday.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    A series that this year happens to be 1 v 2 is not the same as a series that has been played out for generations by the same 2 nations.

Would the current 1 v 2 be as interesting as India v Pakistan for OP?

I'll take the ashes anyday.

Good point.....but what is the point of having the ICC rankings then

Except for a few series here and there, Ind v Pak matches have generally been boring, tedious affairs purely because of the nature of the pitches on the subcontinent.

India's record in SA is pretty abysmal... but that is exactly what makes this series a potentially mouth watering one given how strong their test record both home and away is over the last 3 years..but India have to win away in SA and Australia to prove that they are really worth their no: 1 status

Me personally...I would take India v Australia over any other test series.....its 9-9 to both teams in tests home and away over the last 12 years indicating how intense the rivalry has been.....and the reason for the OP was that the Ashes tests in Australia over the last 25 years have been so one sided that it does not deserve the hype or tripe that usually precedes it!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

3 or 4 centuries I think, so must be well over 50

Always look forward to South African home tests, except Durban. Is Port Elizabeth pencilled in or is just Durban/Cape Town/Wanderers again?

Rjd2 wrote: »
    A series between the number one and two in the world many would argue means a bit more than one between the number 4 and 5. ;)
    Its just another series between two incidental sides.
    The Ashes has a lot more behind it than a world rankings fixture as does India v Pakistan or South Africa v England.
    I personally couldn't give two hoots who won a series between South Africa v India. If the cricket's good, I might watch highlights.

dfx- wrote: »
    3 or 4 centuries I think, so must be well over 50

Always look forward to South African home tests, except Durban. Is Port Elizabeth pencilled in or is just Durban/Cape Town/Wanderers again?

Supersport Park,Centurion
    Kingsmead,Durban
    Newlands,Capetown

in that order

• Advertisement

In test cricket 81:eek::eek::eek:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?class=1;id=2010;type=year

Rjd2 wrote: »

I'd well believe it, he looks unstoppable at the moment. Thats a good link, if you look at the top 10 batsmen, 7 of them are going to be taking part in this series, compared to 2 in the Ashes.

Amla's ODI average is 75 for this year with only 1 not out

JustinDee wrote: »
    I personally couldn't give two hoots who won a series between South Africa v India. If the cricket's good, I might watch highlights.

You wouldn't like to see the world's best bowling attack against the best batting line-up on non flat, not dust bowls..?

I think you could give at least three Ashes tests a miss and not miss a thing...

You wouldn't like to see the world's best bowling attack against the best batting line-up on non flat, not dust bowls..

As I said, its a sideshow to me.
    Couldn't care less who won it so highlights will do.

India have just won a total mismatch against New Zealand 5-0 in India and will as usual arrive in South Africa 4 days before the first test in conditions generally alien to them and totally underprepared....

The vagaries of the ICC ranking system is such that India will retain the no: 1 ranking even if they lose 3-0!!

Its really going to be all about how the top order handles Steyn and Morkel....Makes for a very interesting series

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Theres other countries playing cricket at the moment...? :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Let's keep series-specific threads on-topic please.

I got to fancy the Saffers in this. Their batting line up is fierce and Steyn and Morkel may be unplayable on bouncey pitches. The Indians do have a chance as Zaheer is capable of taking wickets on lively pitches but I fear that he may end up having to do to much. Harbajan is a bit hit and miss these days while Sharma/ Sressenth can be infuriating for different reasons.

I would also fear for Raina on this tour, he struggles horribly with the short ball in Test Cricket, Steyn could destroy him really.

Sehwag had a miserable tour to South Africa last time India went there in 2006....he is however now a different and more confident player...he will take Steyn on come what may and if he succeeds so will India...that confrontation alone sets this series up beautifully....

India may be no: 1 but agree SA start firm favourites

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Unlikely to see any play today apparently, torrential rain in Joburg.

• Advertisement

TrueDub wrote: »
    Unlikely to see any play today apparently, torrential rain in Joburg.

Shows what I know - they're playing as I type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Steyn vs Sehwag lasts 3 balls

Does this set the tone for the series?

Edit, not first, 3rd ball

Mothman wrote: »
    And Steyn gets Sehwag with his first ball.

Does this set the tone for the series?

Not the first ball from S to S, but your point still stands.

Judging purely from the Cricinfo commentary, it sounds like a stupid shot to play in the 2nd or 3rd over of a test match - an upper-cut over the slips with third-man in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Not the first ball from S to S, but your point still stands.

Judging purely from the Cricinfo commentary, it sounds like a stupid shot to play in the 2nd or 3rd over of a test match - an upper-cut over the slips with third-man in...
    Just jumped into commentary, and thought it was Steyn's first over.

We're spoilt with the 2 current series

11/1 after 6, and if the technology was being used, India would have been 2 down with Gambhir escaping a catch off a glove

Edit, commentary saying off the glove inconclusive, so perhaps not

Sehwag does not know of any other way to play....great when it comes off...stupid when it dosen't!!

Nothing new as far as India is concerned....75/6 on a bouncy South African pitch.....not surprised given how underprepared they were for totally alien batting conditions....but still the BCCI will never learn

Their bowlers will hopefully bowl them back into the match like they normally do abroad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Poor crowd in considering the rankings. Plenty of life in the test yet but India have been very poor with the bat up to now. Tendulkar apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Professional Snapperc

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Poor crowd in considering the rankings.

It's small enough at the moment but It should pick up over the series.

135/9 with most of those runs coming off Tsotsobe, I always get the feeling that South Africa don't make the most of Kallis's bowling,I know he's getting old but he never seems to bowl enough

Proteas:cool:

Do I remember that Kallis himself wants or opts to do less bowling than he used to?

Great to see Harbhajan's run out:pac:

• Advertisement

Proteas:cool:

Great to see Harbhajan's run out:pac:

He was actually looking very good before that as well.Sachin looked superb when he was in, the rest however really struggled badly.

Raina...:pac::pac::P:D

Advertisement