Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O Shea's Ale and Stout, Aldi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

BaZmO* wrote: »
    If you've got a problem with the way thread is being moderated, you have a choice to either (a) report it, or (b) send a PM to a mod.

Ironically enough, what you have done yourself is further drag the thread off topic. You are also backseat modding which is frowned upon.

Mmmm title of the thread is O'Shea's Stout and Ale, I want to talk about O'Shea's Golden Ale. If you class that as dragging the thread further off topic then I bow to your superior powers almighty MOD

Chanced the Golden Ale tonight, not bad actually. Would be a good gateway craft beer for peps. Has that unmistakable O'Hara's/O'Shea's flavour and hop character . Marris Otter and Cascade. Would make a nice sessionable beer.
    Now does anybody wan't to converse with me or am I still in the bold corner :P

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

The first few bottles of O Shea's golden ale I had were nice... but the last one's .. not so much. Pale Ale is still my go to beer in Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

laros wrote: »
    The first few bottles of O Shea's golden ale I had were nice... but the last one's .. not so much. Pale Ale is still my go to beer in Aldi

The pale is a savage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

oblivious wrote: »
    The pale is a savage :)

If it was 2010! Not so special now. Still nice though.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    If it was 2010! Not so special now. Still nice though.

When its 1.89 it is, YMMV

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The pale is very solid. I like the red and the stout more though. If they were available more consistently then I'd make the effort to go to Aldi to buy them more often. As it stands, it is quite annoying to head there and find they only have Tyskie.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

had a bottle of the golden ale. i actually thought it was very nice will definitly get it again .

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

had a bottle of the golden ale. i actually thought it was very nice will definitly get it again .

I enjoyed it. A nice summer drink i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I've posted my feelings about the golden ale earlier in this thread but my main complaint about it is that it means there's even less pale ale in the case than before.

It used to be 4x of Pale, Red and Stout in a case now it's 3x of Golden, Pale, Red and Stout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Agree the Golden Ale is excellent. May become a handy go-to quaffer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Had a golden ale this evening, quite a plain taste and nothing spectacular at all imo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

what other Ales are available in 500ml size for under €2? The only I can think of is Macardles which is usually about €1.70 a can in the supermarkets, any others ?

Had a golden ale this evening, quite a plain taste and nothing spectacular at all imo

Golden Ales are not 'spectacular'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, it's the nature of Golden Ales to not be spectacular.

Life is too short to drink them imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Maybe in the minority but I like the Golden Ale, saying that I like all their offerings, obviously not fussy! Off topic, I am partial to the Adnams Ghost Ship they have in there at the minute.

yeah, it's the nature of Golden Ales to not be spectacular.

Life is too short to drink them imo.

Theres a place for every beer style. Except 'Irish Red'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Maybe in the minority but I like the Golden Ale, saying that I like all their offerings, obviously not fussy! Off topic, I am partial to the Adnams Ghost Ship they have in there at the minute.

They have ghost ship in Aldi?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Lucena wrote: »
    They have ghost ship in Aldi?

They do, albeit temporarily.

They had it in u local store the first week and it sold out in 2 days, managed to get a bottle and though it was the best pale ale I've every tasted. Haven't seen it since though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Lidl's own brand craft beer is out now. 4 pack (330ml) for €4.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I'm drinking one of the Lidl Crafty (:rolleyes:) Brewing Co's Stout right now, it's fairly tasteless. It's made in Kilcock, I presume that's brewed by the McGargle's crowd?

BMJD wrote: »
    I'm drinking one of the Lidl Crafty (:rolleyes:) Brewing Co's Stout right now, it's fairly tasteless. It's made in Kilcock, I presume that's brewed by the McGargle's crowd?

Sounds like Rye river all right, they have a few brands under their belt

oblivious wrote: »
    Sounds like Rye river all right, they have a few brands under their belt

All them rubbish in my experience. Run by a bunch of ex Molson-Coors and Diageo employees who seem to have had road to Damascus conversion to craft beer.

All them rubbish in my experience. Run by a bunch of ex Molson-Coors and Diageo employees who seem to have had road to Damascus conversion to craft beer.
    To be fair the Irish Red is pretty decent as Irish Reds go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Just because they worked for MC and Diageo, it doesn't mean they weren't interested in craft beer. Sometimes you just have to pay the bills and wait til you're on sound financial footing before striking out on your own.

I doubt all the head honchos at Heineken/Molson-Coors/Diageo drink their own beers when away from the public eye.

Lucena wrote: »
    Just because they worked for MC and Diageo, it doesn't mean they weren't interested in craft beer. Sometimes you just have to pay the bills and wait til you're on sound financial footing before striking out on your own.

I doubt all the head honchos at Heineken/Molson-Coors/Diageo drink their own beers when away from the public eye.

Maybe I'm just being cynical but the cheap tacky marketing (look at the Mcgargles website), the unclear labeling about where the beer was brewed initially, the fact that most of the staff including the master brewer worked for Diageo for years and that they still also distribute Bavaria and San Miguel, doesn't lead me to believe they are genuinely interested in producing high quality beer.

To be honest, I wouldn't care much about most of the above if they produced decent interesting beers but I've yet to taste anything by them that made me think anything other the meh.

Ultimately, speculating about their intentions is pointless. The proof is in the beer, which I understand is relatively poor at the moment. That being said, recipes often change and poor beers can get better. It can also happen in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

The Pale Ale seems to be the real seller of the group. They tend to pack four of each beer in the shelf box. The pale ale is always the one I can't find. Lovely stuff and great value, even with the two bumps in price this year.

• Advertisement

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Ultimately, speculating about their intentions is pointless. The proof is in the beer, which I understand is relatively poor at the moment. That being said, recipes often change and poor beers can get better. It can also happen in reverse.

Good beer is down to the process, anyone can come up with a recipe

Advertisement