Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Council

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

I emailed the GTCE with a query last Sunday and still no reply.. They might as well have closed down!!!

Whatever the future of the GTCE, it looks like English teachers wont have to pay an annual fee anymore.

Taken from www.gtce.org.uk

The Government is working towards a closure date for the GTC of 31 March 2012. In the interim, teachers must continue to register with the Council; and employers must continue to ensure that teachers are registered, and refer disciplinary cases to the Council.

The Secretary of State for Education has confirmed that the GTC will be charging a registration fee for the financial year 2011-2012 set at the current rate of £36.50. This is the final fee the GTC will levy, even if uncertainties in the parliamentary process put back the final closure date.

Key points:
    • Expected closure date is 31 March 2012.
    • Registration remains a legal requirement.
    • The fee will be kept at £36.50 for 2011-2012.
    • There will be no GTC fee for the financial year 2012-2013.
    • The future of the GTC’s functions has yet to be determined by the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

Well that is some good news!
    P.S- you are better off ringing them. Think turnaround time for email answers is approx 5 days. They are very helpful on the phone and not usually waiting too long to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

They have abolished the teaching council in the Uk. We need a body to vet teachers and deal with serious professional misconduct but we dont need a full time body with 10 million in the bank as our teaching council does. I have a thread on the code of professional conduct. All teachers should look at it(the Code) and comment. Its terribly prescriptive. All teachers should know that every educational problem is your fault. (Im being sarcastic!) under this code. No context-just fault.

Codes of conduct are common accross all professions, and should be welcomed with open arms. Its absolute rubbish to suggest, sarcastically or otherwise, that under the draft code 'All teachers should know that every educational problem is your fault.' I provided links to other professions code in your other thread and the draft Teachers code compares well.

What exactly are you so afraid of? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have no problem with the professional code where it relates to what I do in the classroom or in relation to parents/children/colleagues/other people I come into contact with at work.

I object strenuously where it tries to dictate what I can and cannot do in my time off work, in my own home, in my own time, in situations which are nothing to do with work or teaching. As it is written at the moment, no distinction is made.

spurious wrote: »
    I have no problem with the professional code where it relates to what I do in the classroom or in relation to parents/children/colleagues/other people I come into contact with at work.

I genuinely believe that it is a step forward in this area.

I object strenuously where it tries to dictate what I can and cannot do in my time off work, in my own home, in my own time, in situations which are nothing to do with work or teaching. As it is written at the moment, no distinction is made.

I can understand that, time was when I would have had the same opinion. When I started out there were few restrictions on my private life, either. Little by little, that has changed. My employment contract now has far greater constraints, legally enforceable, than any code of contact.

You could look at this another way, that teaching is finally getting the level of professional recognition it deserves. Most professions have codes of conduct that extend at some level, or other, to private life. Being a member of a profession brings with it a responsibility to uphold the standing of that profession, and not bring it into disrepute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

NewHillel wrote: »
    You could look at this another way, that teaching is finally getting the level of professional recognition it deserves. Most professions have codes of conduct that extend at some level, or other, to private life. Being a member of a profession brings with it a responsibility to uphold the standing of that profession, and not bring it into disrepute.

I could and I could hope for the large increase in (or reinstatement of) salary such new level of recognition should bring.

I welcome the code of behaviour in general, particularly where it concerns social networking. I see too many of the younger teachers on our staff leaving themselves wide open to all sorts of allegations. 'In my day' we called it common sense, but now it seems someone has to draw up rules.

I could and I could hope for the large increase in (or reinstatement of) salary such new level of recognition should bring.

Don't we all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

NewHillel wrote: »
    Codes of conduct are common accross all professions, and should be welcomed with open arms. Its absolute rubbish to suggest, sarcastically or otherwise, that under the draft code 'All teachers should know that every educational problem is your fault.' I provided links to other professions code in your other thread and the draft Teachers code compares well.

What exactly are you so afraid of? :confused:

Every Profession is unique so Im not sure the value of comparison. Having read several recent documents by NEWB-there is a clear trend. Remove all context and blame from students and parents. Partnership is thus a vacuous phrase that looks good but in reality is non -existent in terms of expectations. I also doubt many other codes have only two options-fitness to practice or not. These codes are similar to the UK ones-where teachers have been dragged in for-using a mobile phone in the yard. Heres to the future..

Every Profession is unique so Im not sure the value of comparison.

C'mon, comparison with disparate professions in Industry was a core tenet of the Public Service Benchmarking process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Whilst i look on the Teachers Code as being a positive step, much of what is actually being proposed in the new draft code is pitched at educational goals that are at too high a level beyond teachers practical control. Such goals are far more appropriate to boards of management who are the professionals who manage the schools.

In comparison the Nurses code is far more practical being aimed at the work the nurses actually do and which they have control of.

A teacher can only do what they - can do - they are not school management.

• Advertisement

This might be a good one to compare with. (Seriously, worth a read.)

3.4.6 create an environment where
    pupils/students can become
    active agents in the learning
    process and support their
    development as fully autonomous
    lifelong learners

Take this one requirement in the daft code( above ) as just one of many examples - is this responsibility really practical to pitch at a teacher as compared with principal / boards of management who have the control of the budget and school policy among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Parents in this nation need not worry. They will NEVER be held accountable. NEWB have statistics on chronic absenteeism but never or rarely prosecute. Parents can continue to send their kids in week after week without homework safe in the knowledge that the state will clearly lay all blame for educational failure at the hands of teachers. I dont think we will get as bad as the UK but this code is a step in that direction.

What we need is schools where kids who wont work are removed. Lets create centres of excellence right in the heart of our most deprived areas where those kids who want to better themselves can excel instead of this pretence that one school can cater for all. All meaning time wasters .You could put the boot up teachers in these types of schools as well because your clientèle would be much better. But the bleeding hearts (who mainly send their offspring to fee paying schools) wont allow this-so instead we get a code to turn the screws on teachers .

Lets create centres of excellence right in the heart of our most deprived areas where those kids who want to better themselves can excel instead of this pretence that one school can cater for all. All meaning time wasters .

I'm substantially with you on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭madison2011

Re TC: So when sect 30 is enacted will tutors in the further ed sector be expected to register? I have had conflicting advice.

If there was no compunction to register at the time of appointment how can it be legal to add it in afterwards. Are you suddenly unfit to practice as a tutor having completed years of satisfactory service.

What are the repercussions. Can a VEC really terminate a contract in all fairness. Has this happened anywhere in the country?

I agree that second level schools should have stringent guidelines but further ed programmes are a different ball game.

I think I will chance opting out of registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

There is an opportunity to have some admittedly small influence in the Teaching Council.

Members having been sent out ballot papers.

Profiles for candidates below.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/latest-news/candidates-for-election.1197.html

Some candidates do make it very clear that they are unhappy with the way the TC is and would try to change it.

They can't attempt this unless they are voted in.

Otherwise the status quo will remain the same :(

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

Mods if there is an issue re: advertising/canvassing then feel free to remove.

I am running in the election for the TC and I guess you could say that I am anti Teaching Council. We really need to look at it's function and effectiveness, and if necessary scrap the whole lot.

I have a facebook page where more info can be found. PM me for details if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

There is an opportunity to have some admittedly small influence in the Teaching Council.

Members having been sent out ballot papers.

Profiles for candidates below.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/latest-news/candidates-for-election.1197.html

Some candidates do make it very clear that they are unhappy with the way the TC is and would try to change it.

They can't attempt this unless they are voted in.

Otherwise the status quo will remain the same :(

Humbug :mad:..

My 'candidates' were elected unopposed!!! Is it possible to vote for another region's candidate?

Markens2 i'm all for canvassing, it's an open forum here so I reckon any candidate should be free to come here and answer questions etc... politicians are allowed knock at yer front door, so if they dont call around then that's their lookout..

Perhaps mods could send invites!!!!

My facebook page, Stephen Marken Teaching Council is the best place to go in order to get the information that you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Re TC: So when sect 30 is enacted will tutors in the further ed sector be expected to register? I have had conflicting advice.

If there was no compunction to register at the time of appointment how can it be legal to add it in afterwards. Are you suddenly unfit to practice as a tutor having completed years of satisfactory service.

What are the repercussions. Can a VEC really terminate a contract in all fairness. Has this happened anywhere in the country?

I agree that second level schools should have stringent guidelines but further ed programmes are a different ball game.

I think I will chance opting out of registration.

I am in a VEC FE college. A couple of years ago existing teachers were given the option to register within a certain time, regardless of teaching qualifications. If you missed out on this then you would have to get the teaching qualification if you wished to reg later. After a certain date everyone had to be registered, including VEC FE teachers. Salaries will not be paid by the department if you are not registered.

If you were employed before the start date, and registered, you were then ok provided you kept up your registration. If you were employed after that date then you had to be compliant from your start.

• Advertisement

''Do we need the Teaching Council? Is €90 too much? Is the Teaching Council working for teachers? I will listen to, and represent you in a frank and honest manner. “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Let’s change how we do things''.

From Stephen Marken's candidate profile.
    In view of the performance of the Teaching Council since it was established in March 2006 ...
    It sounds good to me!
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003491853912&sk=info

In fairness I circulated the profiles from both candidates in the Leinster constituency in school today and there was great interest in what might be a change from the status quo.

Those of you from the Dublin constituency needn't feel left out as Eimear Cole and Darragh O'Bradain appear have a view that the Teaching Council needs changing.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eimear-Cole-Teaching-Council/361466263866660?sk=info

https://www.facebook.com/VoteDarraghForTheTC?sk=info

I have read through the rules and don't believe I have broken any rules by posting these.
    But if I have Moderators, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Are ballots being posted directly to members homes or to schools?

They're posted to your home address.

Does anyone else find it a little odd that there are separate elections for men and women?

There are quotas for men and women.

yes its very oppressive - but it means that there is gender balance.

Usually gender quotas are to promote women but in the case of teaching it amounts to ensuring that men are represented - especially at primary level.

Experience and research shows as a matter of record and fact that the feminisation of a profession results in lesser pay !

A balance of males and females is a positive.

Please note

There is an error on the Identity Form that accompanies the Ballot Paper for the Teaching Council Elections.

At the bottom of the page it asks for Voter Signature,
    whereas it should read Witness Signature.

The TC has said that the mistake will not invalidate the ballot paper.
    But you can download a corrected Witness Form from the TC site.
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/latest-news/amended-declaration-of-identity-form.1203.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Experience and research shows as a matter of record and fact that the feminisation of a profession results in lesser pay !

A balance of males and females is a positive.

Hmm so with more and more males becoming primary school teachers the pay rate should go up? GREAT, thanks :), What makes one sex better than the other anyway, I really don't think the pay rate 'was' that bad in the good old days despite the amount of female teachers!

Maybe a quota of Men/Women/Disabled/Transgender/Ethnic/Age/Rural/Urban/Religious/Athiest/Vegetarian.... would be a far more equitable system than just a balance of males and females....

Has anyone not received their ballot yet? I haven't gotten mine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Has anyone not received their ballot yet? I haven't gotten mine

No, I haven't gotten anything yet, but they have managed to send me my registration renewal reminder a month in advance. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

I got my ballot paper over a week ago, so they have def been sent to some people (everyone in my school get them anyway)

Advertisement