Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH Modding vs Cowan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I miss the Harney/hospitals/polish/swans/Nigerians/scumbag threads :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Can we get the IMF in to oversee moderation of After Hours during this transitional phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Can we get the IMF in to oversee moderation of After Hours during this transitional phase?

Jesus no!
    They'll all move their rants to Oz/Nz forums.
    Enough of them over here already.

Go home! You're taking me jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

This was a decision by popular demand.

Apparently there was a bribe of cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Sometimes you just can't ****ing win tbh.

Yup. I wouldn't be an AH mod for all the tea and hookers and coke in China.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Whilst Idon't post in AH much I have to say lately I gave up even reading it due to the nonsense amount of threads about politics, I for one I'm glad they are being banished especially as most of them had some sort of agenda.

If I want to read politics I'll goto the politics forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

The threads are there to discuss the topics. The problem which posters complained about, which was a problem I observed also, was that AH was turning into the politics forum because people were starting threads on every little thing they had an opinion about re: the economy / bailout / cowen / FF / whatever.
    I agree there was some OTT thread starting where the same discussion was being had in 2 threads, a merge or delete would have solved this.
    AH is mirroring the real world just now, I had a night out last night and the kind of chat you are not allowing took about 20% of the night, probably about the same proportion in AH. Fact is people were involved and wanted to talk about it and had their opinions. It was brilliant.
    It was annoying.
    Was it annoying personally or as a mod?
    There was soapboxing and navel gazing galore. That crap can't take over completely. Not in After Hours.
    There is always threads opening every day for discussion as things change in these areas. Anyone who even takes a cursory glance at after hours can see that. But there's one or two now. Not twenty or thirty as there was before we started doing this.
    Makes discussion impossible. Although 10 people may be having a related discussion it becomes incoherent noise when all done together.
    There is always a place for having the discussion in AH. If there weren't it wouldn't be an initiative I'd back at all.
    Your claims are both wrong and unfair. Ridiculous tbh.
    Ridicule is your response eh... ;)
    I don't think they are wrong, is it for you to decide if what I believe is right or wrong? It is your role to bring moderation to after hours. In my opinion forcing all threads into one is in no way a definition of moderate behaviour.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Whilst Idon't post in AH much I have to say lately I gave up even reading it due to the nonsense amount of threads about politics, I for one I'm glad they are being banished especially as most of them had some sort of agenda.

If I want to read politics I'll goto the politics forum

Why would you not just not click on the politics threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

did op have a thread deleted or is he just moaning at the mods for funsies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ch750536 wrote: »
    Why would you not just go to the Politics or Irish Economy forums?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oh here's an idea,
    Since swamping AH with politics seems to be ok how about we also post computer problems in it, TV reviews, film reviews etc

After all these are all issues everyonewants info on and if they are not interested they can just not click on the threads....simple!

I think we should scrap boards.ie in its current form and just have one big massive forum with everything in it.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We have seperate forums for a very very good reason, if people are too lazy or stupid to use the correct forums then repeated offenders should be dealt with imho

Why would you not just go to the Politics or Irish Economy forums?

read this thread

Oh here's an idea,
    Since swamping AH with politics seems to be ok how about we also post computer problems in it, TV reviews, film reviews etc

After all these are all issues everyonewants info on and if they are not interested they can just not click on the threads....simple!

I think we should scrap boards.ie in its current form and just have one big massive forum with everything in it.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We have seperate forums for a very very good reason, if people are too lazy or stupid to use the correct forums then repeated offenders should be dealt with imho

Funnily enough I just looked and there is 2 threads about computers & one about a film. Are you going to 'deal with' the 'stupid offenders'. :rolleyes:

Or maybe they were non technical pub like discussions and correctly placed in AH.

Amusingly 2 people have responded to
    Without actually answering the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Amusingly 2 people have responded to
    Without actually answering the question.

Sometimes you can't even tell that they are politics threads until you open them and read the OP, which - the past few months, tend to then be all soapboxing on the same topic.

90% of those threads did not even need be started in the first place (which is why my vote would go to locking them if the Politics / Economy forums didn't want them) as there are dozens and dozens of those threads already were the jist of said threads would have fitted in like a glove to any of the many others, had the OPs bothered to use the 'search forum function' and found them.

It is only threads with no originality and that are the usual rant about Cowen, Nama, IMF etc that are being thrown into that merge thread and so in fact, I think it should be called the 'Unoriginal Cowen / IMF / Nama Soapboxing' thread just to drive home the point of why some threads are ending up in there.

Your comments would only be fair if there were no complaints about how After Hours was becoming of late and also if ALL the political threads were being merged with that thread, but they are not.

If the political threads being started are original and/or have a purpose other than to soapbox or just the latest ranting, they are being left alone, as is clear from just glancing at the front page:

People Are Still Voting For Fianna Fail
    Abandon Ship or Stay and Struggle
    Protest March 27th / 11/ 2010
    Have you ever voted FF?
    .. etc.

I applaud the Mods on what they have done here as without question, it needed to be done.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    It is only threads with no originality and the usual rant about Cowen, Nama, IMF etc that are all being thrown into that thread.

Oh, didn't appear to be the case but I'll try it & see. It seemed to be that all threads related to doom & gloom were merged, if I'm wrong my apologies for starting a useless thread.

Hopefully this is the last you will hear from me on the matter.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't need to be telling you this, you already know it but choose to ignore it as it does not suit what you want.
    What do you think they want/their agenda is?
    IRidicule is your response eh... ;)
    Oh well, when you throw out unfounded, paranoid accusations and resort to passive-aggressiveness, you'll obviously be met with defensiveness.

read this thread
    I have, and haven't seen a satisfactory answer to why you want AH to become one of the two forums mentioned when they already exist.

• Advertisement

I have, and haven't seen a satisfactory answer to why you want AH to become one of the two forums mentioned when they already exist.

What is satisfactory to you is irrelevant.

Dudess wrote: »
    What do you think they want/their agenda is?
    I have no idea, personally I don't think they have an agenda, simply an opinion.
    Oh well, when you throw out unfounded, paranoid accusations and resort to passive-aggressiveness, you'll obviously be met with defensiveness.
    Please quote my unfounded, paranoid accusations so I know what you are talking about.

What is satisfactory to you is irrelevant.
    As is your continued attempt to have AH reflooded with political threads to the vocal majority of its users, who said time and time again that they don't want politics being all that the forum is.

There are dedicated forums for these topics where people will be more than happy to discuss the issues and your viewpoints with you. It doesn't need to be in AH.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

90% of the threads have a more relevant forum they could be in. Its not the point of AH. AH is a place where you can go for alternative discussion about anything.

Its like walking into a bar and saying 'Good game last night' and being told the sports club is down the road, go there if I want to talk about sports.

I don't need to be telling you this, you already know it but choose to ignore it as it does not suit what you want.
    No, its more like walking into a bar in full rugby kit with three of your mates and a ball and proceeding to re-enact the game last night over and over and over and over again and the locals pointing out that there is a floodlit stadium attached to that very pub where there is a game of rugby going on right at that moment and who are still looking for more players.

Its like that.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I have no idea, personally I don't think they have an agenda, simply an opinion.

Please quote my unfounded, paranoid accusations so I know what you are talking about.
    Seems trying to hide all the facts is a catching disease.
    Is it there to be what you want it to be or is it there to be what the users make it?

You're forcing your own agenda on what content should be on AH. Wrong.
    Bit tinfoil hattish for simply a tidying-up. I couldn't care less whether such threads are allowed or not (and aren't some still?) but don't see the need for you to voice your feedback in such a confrontational manner. You suggested the people of AH decide - they did, just not what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

DeVore wrote: »
    No, its more like walking into a bar in full rugby kit with three of your mates and a ball and proceeding to re-enact the game last night over and over and over and over again and the locals pointing out that there is a floodlit stadium attached to that very pub where there is a game of rugby going on right at that moment and who are still looking for more players.

Its like that.

DeV.
    Thank you, I was trying to come up with a decent simile, but I had nothing.

Interesting to note the lack of argument in this thread since DeVore's post :D

Interesting to note the lack of argument in this thread since DeVore's post :D

Just busy with other stuff but well trolled.

DeVore wrote: »

Its like that.

DeV.

Unfortunately not the correct analogy. Its like walking into a pub where lots of people are talking about the rugby but the old boys in the corner forcing everybody else to either talk about what they want to listen to or get out.

The other place is for those who want to play rugby, I'm not that skilled, I would look a fool if I were to take to the pitch right now but I would love to talk to other people like me and see what they think and how they feel.

• Advertisement

Bit tinfoil hattish for simply a tidying-up. I couldn't care less whether such threads are allowed or not (and aren't some still?) but don't see the need for you to voice your feedback in such a confrontational manner. You suggested the people of AH decide - they did, just not what you want.

If you see that as unfounded, paranoid accusations I suggest you stay indoors and close the curtains, there may be nasty clouds out there with corners.

Advertisement