Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH Modding vs Cowan

Options
  • 25-11-2010 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Seems trying to hide all the facts is a catching disease. Surely its a case of if you don't want to see don't look. What possible harm can there be in 10 threads of a similar nature all well populated with responses vs one thread with multiple conversations making it impossible to follow.

Poor show AH mods, who made this ****e decision for us (not the bank bail out, the heavy handed modding)

Let the people of AH decide. If there are too many discussions about the economy then they will soon die off, just like in a real pub.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's not 10 threads it's dozens of them and the reason we did it is taking over the whole forum. We're trying to get the forum back to some sort of normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

It was the people of AH who asked for it in the 1st place!
    I'm happy with the locks and merged threads-don't need it shoved down our throats every bloody thread.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seperate threads for big developments yeah, but otherwise it can all be dumped into the one I think

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

They would only be taking over if people post in them. People only post in them if they have comment to add. There were lots of them as lots of people wanted to discuss it. Well done in helping people not discuss a vital topic in difficult times.

<slow handclaps>

alwaysadub wrote: »
    It was the people of AH who asked for it in the 1st place!
    I'm happy with the locks and merged threads-don't need it shoved down our throats every bloody thread.

Source?
    You dont have to read the threads, thats why you get a title and mouseover.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ch750536 wrote: »
    They would only be taking over if people post in them. People only post in them if they have comment to add. There were lots of them as lots of people wanted to discuss it. Well done in helping people not discuss a vital topic in difficult times.

<slow handclaps>

If only they had an Irish Economy forum to discuss it in. Oh wait they do.

<slow handclaps>

We're trying to get the forum back to some sort of normality.

Is it there to be what you want it to be or is it there to be what the users make it?

You're forcing your own agenda on what content should be on AH. Wrong.

It is being discussed! There's just not 10threads about the same subject clogging up the place.

The mods are doing a great job of keeping the place tidy and uncluttered.

Is it there to be what you want it to be or is it there to be what the users make it?

You're forcing your own agenda on what content should be on AH. Wrong.

People in the forum asked for it. Everytime a thread popped up people complained about it ruining to forum and making it depressing. We're listening to the people and like I said if you want you are free to use the Irish Economy forum.

<slow handclaps>

90% of the threads have a more relevant forum they could be in. Its not the point of AH. AH is a place where you can go for alternative discussion about anything.

Its like walking into a bar and saying 'Good game last night' and being told the sports club is down the road, go there if I want to talk about sports.

I don't need to be telling you this, you already know it but choose to ignore it as it does not suit what you want.

• Advertisement

The mods are doing a great job of keeping the place tidy and uncluttered.

Its the internet. There is no more tidy as there is untidy. If people join in the conversation the thread stays on the first page. If not it doesn't. What makes you think you need to tinker with this natural order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

<slow handclaps>
    Wait, do they have a politics forum aswell?

Sounds like something that should be discussed in there aswell...

Source?
    You dont have to read the threads, thats why you get a title and mouseover.

I'm on my mobile at the minute, so can't link them, but off the top of my head, there,s two threads here in Feedback, the charter and feedback thread in AH, and numerous threads started either complaining about the amount of political threads, or asking for it not to be discussed in their thread cos they're sick of it.

Some People in the forum asked for it.

Fixed that for you. Wasn't aware some people had that power.

90% of the threads have a more relevant forum they could be in. Its not the point of AH. AH is a place where you can go for alternative discussion about anything.

Its like walking into a bar and saying 'Good game last night' and being told the sports club is down the road, go there if I want to talk about sports.

I don't need to be telling you this, you already know it but choose to ignore it as it does not suit what you want.

Poor analogy, we don't allow discussion of football in after hours. You are correct though after hours is kinda for discussing a wide range of topics. When those topics start pissing most of the people who use after hours off or start to dominate the forum to the point where every second thread is about that topic then we start cracking down on it.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Wait, do they have a politics forum aswell?

Sounds like something that should be discussed in there aswell...

Of the current top 22 threads 18 have a much more suitable place to be, by your standards.

By my standards I realise that there is more than one audience for a discussion.

Its the internet. There is no more tidy as there is untidy. If people join in the conversation the thread stays on the first page. If not it doesn't. What makes you think you need to tinker with this natural order?

So if 10people started a thread on sausages it'd be ok? The point of the mods is to keep order in their forum-no forum is gonna leave 10 threads on exactly the same thing without merging them. Specially if as you say no one's gonna post in them.

Poor analogy, we don't allow discussion of football in after hours. You are correct though after hours is kinda for discussing a wide range of topics. When those topics start pissing most some of the people who use after hours off or start to dominate the forum to the point where every second thread is about that topic then we start cracking down on it.

fixed that for you.

So some people get pissed off and this means discussion stops. Note that the pissed off people could just not click on the threads. How hard is it to not do something....

But now I cant discuss something with the people I would like to. Have you tried having a discusssion about 12 things at the same time (albeit related).

Fixed that for you. Wasn't aware some people had that power.

Yes some people. Did you really think I meant every single person who has used the forum?

To be honest I'm kinda in your camp. I don't really visit forums any more. I use my followed thread page (so this shows threads that I specifically said I want updates on and nothing more) and the followed forums page. From the followed forum page I find more threads I want to follow and quickly scan over the crap that doesn't interest me. So like you if I didn't like these threads I'd just skip over them.

Leaving the threads be is much better for me. It doesn't affect my browsing habits and it means I'm not locking and merging threads every five minutes. If I catering for me, I'd leave the threads were they are. Less work for me and I'd just ignore the threads.

So if 10people started a thread on sausages it'd be ok? The point of the mods is to keep order in their forum-no forum is gonna leave 10 threads on exactly the same thing without merging them. Specially if as you say no one's gonna post in them.

If 10 people start 10 threads about different discussions about sausages yes, of course that is fine. This isn't spamming, it is a massive and complex subject that people discuss at many different levels and perspectives.

If people dont want it and are not interested, they dont have to click on it and it will soon drop off the first page.

• Advertisement

If 10 people start 10 threads about different discussions about sausages yes, of course that is fine. This isn't spamming, it is a massive and complex subject that people discuss at many different levels and perspectives.

If people dont want it and are not interested, they dont have to click on it and it will soon drop off the first page.

Lots of people don't want 10 separate threads about very similar topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The problem is that there are folk who create a new thread to push their own opinion or agenda rather than have it in the middle of another thread.

These people shouldn't be allowed use AH as a soap box when they feel like so similar topics get merged to keep all the discussions together.

Good job from all involved.

Closing statement.

I have had some fantastic & eye opening discussions in AH on politics, economics and why my dog eats snow when it pisses on it. I have these discussions with people just like me, some smarter, some older, some younger and more green.

If I discuss these items in Politics or Economics or Dog Behavior I get a discussion with a lecturer, a professor or a dog trainer. Probably far more accurate but far less enlightening and far less fun.

This is the essence of AH. You can & should discuss anything with the normal people, the people I would meet in the street. You have removed this for me.

Lots of people don't want 10 separate threads about very similar topics.

Upgrade to the latest vbulletin, 1 click ignore on threads....

Closing statement.

I have had some fantastic & eye opening discussions in AH on politics, economics and why my dog eats snow when it pisses on it. I have these discussions with people just like me, some smarter, some older, some younger and more green.

If I discuss these items in Politics or Economics or Dog Behavior I get a discussion with a lecturer, a professor or a dog trainer. Probably far more accurate but far less enlightening and far less fun.

This is the essence of AH. You can & should discuss anything with the normal people, the people I would meet in the street. You have removed this for me.

I've been reading the Irish Economics forum (never have before) and I find it very laid back. I thought it would be very like politics but it seems to be half way between politics and after hours. Seriously you should try it out.
    Upgrade to the latest vbulletin, 1 click ignore on threads....

Sounds pretty cool. Unfortunately it's not something the after hours mods can do and I think the developers are staying away from the latest Vbulletin for performance reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Can see both sides of the argument but would tend to side with the OP. AH is supposed to be like a pub and at the moment politics and economics and social justice are the hot talking points for many people who wouldn't normally take a huge interest in these matters (as evidenced by the amount of people who have posted in and viewed these threads).What is happening in the country at the moment is going to affect the life and welfare of every citizen of this country for years to come, and to force all the different discussions into one thread is to effectively derail all those important discussions.

I wonder would it help if the Mods established maybe three or four stickies for the next few months along the lines of The AH politics thread, The AH budget thread, The AH social justice thread, The AH four year plan thread, etc and then merged new threads to the sticky they felt best covered it; thus keeping the front page relatively clear.

Just a suggestion.

AMC

I wonder would it help if the Mods established maybe three or four stickies for the next few months along the lines of The AH politics thread, The AH budget thread, The AH social justice thread, The AH four year plan thread, etc and then merged new threads to the sticky they felt best covered it; thus keeping the front page relatively clear.

A good halfway house I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i tend to agree with you OP, but the argument is coming across like you think it's your right, and your After Hours that people are tinkering with without your consent. it's making me focus less on the point and more on the attitude...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sometimes you just can't ****ing win tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The threads are there to discuss the topics. The problem which posters complained about, which was a problem I observed also, was that AH was turning into the politics forum because people were starting threads on every little thing they had an opinion about re: the economy / bailout / cowen / FF / whatever. It was annoying. There was soapboxing and navel gazing galore. That crap can't take over completely. Not in After Hours.
    There is always threads opening every day for discussion as things change in these areas. Anyone who even takes a cursory glance at after hours can see that. But there's one or two now. Not twenty or thirty as there was before we started doing this.
    There is always a place for having the discussion in AH. If there weren't it wouldn't be an initiative I'd back at all.
    Your claims are both wrong and unfair. Ridiculous tbh.

Advertisement