Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ordered Pure Telecom today, asked about the Fritz router and the sales guy said I should get a call about it, although he said with their fiber offering they give out the Huawei model that Eir use, and if you sign up for siro you get the fritzbox. I'll request it when it comes to it. Was expecting to receive a mail from them after ordering but maybe takes a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Mc Love wrote: »
    Ordered Pure Telecom today, asked about the Fritz router and the sales guy said I should get a call about it, although he said with their fiber offering they give out the Huawei model that Eir use, and if you sign up for siro you get the fritzbox. I'll request it when it comes to it. Was expecting to receive a mail from them after ordering but maybe takes a few days
    I just moved to PureTelecom from Eir FTTH and they just delivered a FRITZ!Box 7530.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Pure FTTC is grand bandwidth wise, always rock solid but the pings are higher than Eir.

Pings to boards.ie for e.g were about 8ms on Eir, but 27 or so on pure. I know it's not a huge difference but I play a lot of old fps games like quake and that 20ms does make a big difference.

I wonder why the pings are higher given Pure are just using Eir's backhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Pure FTTC is grand bandwidth wise, always rock solid but the pings are higher than Eir.

Pings to boards.ie for e.g were about 8ms on Eir, but 27 or so on pure. I know it's not a huge difference but I play a lot of old fps games like quake and that 20ms does make a big difference.

I wonder why the pings are higher given Pure are just using Eir's backhaul.

They aren't just using Eir's backhaul, they either using both Eir and BTIreland's backhaul or just BTIreland. I'm on their FTTH using Openeir and from traceroutes I see BTIreland.
    My ping to boards is around 10ms and Google is 2.8ms at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bewareofthedog

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    They aren't just using Eir's backhaul, they either using both Eir and BTIreland's backhaul or just BTIreland. I'm on their FTTH using Openeir and from traceroutes I see BTIreland.
    My ping to boards is around 10ms and Google is 2.8ms at the mo

From what I can tell on my end I only see Eir nodes, whether it's in Ireland or other countries, google.ie is around 24ms. I'm on FTTC though not FTTH, might be why it's different. Either way it's a bit of a pain in the arse, Eir is almost twice as expensive if I want my super low pings back.

Tracing route to boards.ie [104.21.95.119]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 21 ms 17 ms 17 ms 86-45-112-3-dynamic.agg9.chf.chf-qkr.eircom.net [86.45.112.3]
    3 17 ms 16 ms 16 ms lag-24.pe1.rtd.rsl-rtd.eircom.net [86.43.13.69]
    4 24 ms 21 ms 21 ms eth-trunk51.hcore1.rsl.core.eircom.net [86.43.11.233]
    5 26 ms 21 ms 21 ms eth-trunk16.hcore1.bdt.core.eircom.net [86.43.11.247]
    6 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms lag-15-br1-thn-hcore1-bdt.br1.thn.border.eircom.net [86.43.255.199]
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 32 ms 31 ms 31 ms 104.21.95.119

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

I hope this is the correct thread for this.

We have tv & broadband with Vodafone. We are moving apartment next week.
    Vodafone have told us that because the new apartment has an active line, they have given a guideline of 15 days from now for the service to be transferred.

Someone in our household is working from home and we are under pressure. Would it be any quicker by getting a new provider?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So over 10 weeks after ordering with Eir, they will apparently be out to get me setup this week (Monday or Thursday, depending on who i talk to). I've been fighting with them since around week 3, with conflicting information coming from multiple people, constant delays, and no real indication of when this would be sorted. Eventually complained to them directly, and via the complaint site, and got a reply to say they were sorry and it was unacceptable etc...Was told someone would be out this week (same date that has been scheduled for a month) and they gave me credit for 3 months service.

No confidence that it'll actually be up and running this week, but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Have just realised that we can get FTTH where we are in the sticks. Currently with Eir and am in two minds as to stay with Eir (49.99 a month for 24 months) or move to Vodafone or Pure. Any advice either way? My husband thinks it's better the divil you know :rolleyes: We are both WFH so can't really have any drop off between connections

Pure and Vodafone are cheaper and have a shorter contract. No real reason to put up with Eir if you don't absolutely have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 st3veebee

Just a quick update: all sorted now, straight after that post I rang vodafone and got a 3 day delivery and all sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Kiith wrote: »
    Pure and Vodafone are cheaper and have a shorter contract. No real reason to put up with Eir if you don't absolutely have to.

Maybe I will go with Vodafone...not so sure about Pure

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

CheerLouth wrote: »

Pure are without doubt the best customer service you'll get and they use all of eir's infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

I hope this is the correct thread for this.

We have tv & broadband with Vodafone. We are moving apartment next week.
    Vodafone have told us that because the new apartment has an active line, they have given a guideline of 15 days from now for the service to be transferred.

Someone in our household is working from home and we are under pressure. Would it be any quicker by getting a new provider?

Im looking to moving into a different house in the next 2-4 weeks. Need to ring vodafone and see how long the transfer takes myself.

No confidence that it'll actually be up and running this week, but who knows.

Ahh, not sure what i was expecting, but this has been pushed back another month. Too ridiculous to be annoyed at this stage :(

Update - apparently its now because of planning permission. Eir saying KNN need planning, but can't get anyone to approve. Probably because i've been told the company that built this property and surrounding houses no longer exists. Shame that they didn't tell me this 2 months ago when KNN were last out. Absolute ****ing clowns.

Do Vodafone use the same infrastructure as Eir? I know Pure do, but i clearly need an alternative if i ever want to get internet setup in this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

CheerLouth wrote: »

PURE are a million billion times better then VF to deal with...

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Ahh, not sure what i was expecting, but this has been pushed back another month. Too ridiculous to be annoyed at this stage :(

Update - apparently its now because of planning permission. Eir saying KNN need planning, but can't get anyone to approve. Probably because i've been told the company that built this property and surrounding houses no longer exists. Shame that they didn't tell me this 2 months ago when KNN were last out. Absolute ****ing clowns.

Do Vodafone use the same infrastructure as Eir? I know Pure do, but i clearly need an alternative if i ever want to get internet setup in this house.

Eir owns all of the 'last mile' infrastructure unless you are able to get Virgin Media or Siro unfortunately.

Three sim card with an LTE router it is so :/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tomjohn01

Hi guys, in the process of moving to Bohermeen area outside Navan, anyone got any recommendations for what provider I should go with? Contacted pure last night, they told me they could provide up to 12mg on the line. I will be working from home and spend many hours a day facilitating workshops online, so need something reliable. All advice gratefully accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'm by no way a fan of Eir but I see they've just introduced their 500Mb broadband for new signups- €39.99 on a 2 year agreement, free install and activation when I looked yesterday. To be fair I've yet to read horror stories about Eir FTTH , only that people leave them because of price or being able to get 500 with Vodafone or Pure for around €35 a month. I personally don't think €39.99 is bad when its locked in for 2 years if it works

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

tomjohn01 wrote: »
    Hi guys, in the process of moving to Bohermeen area outside Navan, anyone got any recommendations for what provider I should go with? Contacted pure last night, they told me they could provide up to 12mg on the line. I will be working from home and spend many hours a day facilitating workshops online, so need something reliable. All advice gratefully accepted
    any chance to get virgin ? as speed you provided would feel ancient in regards to anything online nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tomjohn01

scamalert wrote: »
      any chance to get virgin ? as speed you provided would feel ancient in regards to anything online nowadays.

No, checked postcode on their site, they don't serve that area. Talked to three today and they said that I could get 15-20m on their mobile network, best I have seen so far. Any experience? Will prob buy mobile router on Amazon and try the 30 day deal before signing up to 2 year contract

1. Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ah-Watch wrote: »
      I'm by no way a fan of Eir but I see they've just introduced their 500Mb broadband for new signups- €39.99 on a 2 year agreement, free install and activation when I looked yesterday. To be fair I've yet to read horror stories about Eir FTTH , only that people leave them because of price or being able to get 500 with Vodafone or Pure for around €35 a month. I personally don't think €39.99 is bad when its locked in for 2 years if it works

Its 40 a month with Pure for 1Gb for 12 months and they give free install and activation too. Only goes to 79 after a year and you can switch then

2. Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

tomjohn01 wrote: »
      No, checked postcode on their site, they don't serve that area. Talked to three today and they said that I could get 15-20m on their mobile network, best I have seen so far. Any experience? Will prob buy mobile router on Amazon and try the 30 day deal before signing up to 2 year contract
      im in town so Siro user on vodafone, used mobile routers in the past and cant say anything bad, prob worth trying to see what you can get on 4g, and if any providers offer unlimited data, as might work out cheaper then fixed line.

3. Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ah-Watch wrote: »

Vodafone is 500Mbps with phone and calls for €30.
      And you have at least some home of contacting them if you have a problem.

4. Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I need mobile internet without contract to connect old computer in workshop (garage) in north Dublin for few months.
      Is there any option for GSM-to-wifi modem pay-as-you-go with mobile networks? I tried to tethering on some old android phone but it turns off after inactivity period :( I have very limited budget for this and already spend monies on wifi card for computer.

5. Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So i finally got Eir/KN out to do the dig work needed, and not have ducting leading up to my house. Only took 3 and a half months. The KN guys told me the delay was nothing to do with planning, which is the line Eir used previously. Anyone know if i was to cancel with Eir, would i get charged for any of the work they've done up to this point? I know i have the 14 day cooling off period once the service goes live, but not sure if i would get a bill for work done. I'm tempted to just cancel it today and move to Pure or Vodafone asap.

Dunno if this is spiteful or anything...but i'd really rather not give Eir any of my money after this debacle. Also don't like that their 1gb is a 24 month contract...on the slim chance i did stay with them, does anyone know what their cancellation fee is? Finding it hard to find it anywhere.

6. Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Not sure what the cost of cancellation would be no but as long as its cancelled inside the 14 days you should only get charged for the days in which it was connected. Much and all as I really don't like Eir their FTTH package is meant to be very good. If you're going to go for someone else go for Pure, don't go for Vodafone. Vodafone support continues to get poorer and poorer by the day where as Pure have excellent customer service. I'd actually like to see Pure clean up in the market because they at least have good customer service.

7. Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hi folks im based in Galway City and Siro Contract with Vodafone just finished and wondering whos the best provider to go with now?

Anyone here in Galway with digiweb ?

8. Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Fibre setup this morning finally, and working really well so far. Its only 150mb at the moment, but i will request it be updated to 1gb later today...i think. It's pretty damn fast as it is, and while i'd love to see the 1gb speeds, not really sure i need it.

I'd forgotten what it was like to download stiff so quickly.

9. Advertisement
    10. Registered Users Posts: 8 Cheesegirl

Hi all, moving to Smithfield Market Apartments and can't figure out what broadband is available - most sites seem to only offer 4g broadband rather than a fixed line? Does anyone know if there is a fibre connection with any provider to the apartment blocks?
      Thanks

Advertisement