Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

ciaramc wrote: »
    Thinking of changing broadband from three to either Sky fibre unlimited or sky broadband unlimited or Vodafone Simply broadband. I'm in Letterkenny. Which would people recommend. Want it for use of 2 laptops, 1 pad and mobiles.

Does vodafone's fair use policy interrupt much in evenings or when a lot of people are on? Sky fibre unlimited is 100mb download and sky broadband unlimited is 25mb download, does the download make much of a difference?

Thanks

Hold off for now. Letterkenny is one of the first 19 towns for the Eircom FTTH rollout and one of the first 10 areas for the SIRO (ESB/Vodafone) rollout. So expect to see fibre to the home being offered by September

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

I posted a couple of posts back and just wanted to update. We got out of contract with Three and joined UPC on an unlimited bundle of 120mbp broadband and free local & national calls. It is fantastic. We are in Sligo. No interruption, fast and their service is excellent so far.

Ordered on a Tuesday afternoon, installed on working on Thursday afternoon. Vodafone had a wait of 28 days for installation in Sligo.

€25 first 6 months, €45 thereafter (18 month contract). Also registered on upc.ie to get a further €3.50 a month off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I'm in Killarney town, I had great service with a vodafone dongle, unlimited usage. They have now said that they are no longer doing this deal. I need to get internet of some sort, I meed about 20/25 gb per month usage, I watch movies etc on the wifi, any suggestions? experience? I'd like to pay 30 per month or less if possible, I was paying 20….

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rajatparihar

ColinM9991 wrote: »
    4260288999.png

Cork area tested to Dublin

UPC's 240Mbit package with my own router in bridge mode.
    The Cisco modem/router they give is extremely terrible at routing & handling overhead, and you can unintentionally do a 'denial of service' on your own by downloading large files on two PC's at once, but getting your own router and bridging it can solve almost any issues.

On HTTP I'll get about 10MB/s down speed, I got 20MB/s peak on Steam yesterday (Gaming app), upload speeds are great too seeing that I work tech support and need to upload 8GB's of data at times for customers.

What is the down time of UPC 120MB internet? I am thinking to take a new connection and I stay in Dun Laoghaire Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Vixen24

Hi , we are moving to Dunboyne, just outside the village, I am hearing conflicting things re broadband, can we access it? We are currently UPC customers. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Has anybody here changed from UPC to Sky?

Herself wants to shop around and reckons we can save money changing to Sky but I have doubts. We do alot of streaming and I play XBL...that's about as taxing as our internet is.

Would Sky be up to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has anybody here changed from UPC to Sky?

Herself wants to shop around and reckons we can save money changing to Sky but I have doubts. We do alot of streaming and I play XBL...that's about as taxing as our internet is.

Would Sky be up to this?

Until FTTH rolls around I wouldnt leave UPC for any of the other providers. Their HFC network is just ultra reliable. Many on here would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Hi everyone, we are in cork city centre and looking for some help. Will probably only be here for approx 4-6 months and only need broadband (unlimited). Most companies are doing 6months free so basically wondering which company has the fastest broadband and cheapest cancellation fee in contract?? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mad_fluffy

Hello im currently with Eircom which i find very expensive for a 3 mg stand alone broadband. I have no phone only broadband. Has anyone got imagine broadband in this area..they advertise 10 mg wireless broadband for €19 per month.. looking for a reliable affordable broadband supplier with no limits to usage.
    Appreciate any advice

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, we are in cork city centre and looking for some help. Will probably only be here for approx 4-6 months and only need broadband (unlimited). Most companies are doing 6months free so basically wondering which company has the fastest broadband and cheapest cancellation fee in contract?? thanks

Go with magnet, you pay install fee then theres no contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Vixen24 wrote: »
    Hi , we are moving to Dunboyne, just outside the village, I am hearing conflicting things re broadband, can we access it? We are currently UPC customers. Thank you

A good bit of the area has UPC but I'm not sure about outside the village. Pick any broadband package as if you are going to order it and then it brings you to an address checker page. Use exact address like name or number of house. It will tell you what's available.
    http://www.upc.ie/existingcustomer/

• Registered Users Posts: 10 drtonic49

Hello! Looking to change broadband in the (very) near future and am in Letterkenny. I know that there are some cool things happening fairly soon but my current provider is wrecking my head. From the brief looking around i've done, it looks like it'll be either Vodafone Simply Broadband or Pure Telecom Purely Broadband...

Anybody had any dealings with Pure Telecom? 36 dabloons is damn good but I have never heard of them before... Also, I've been stung by vodafone before... Are they still a pain to deal with..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

drtonic49 wrote: »
    Hello! Looking to change broadband in the (very) near future and am in Letterkenny. I know that there are some cool things happening fairly soon but my current provider is wrecking my head. From the brief looking around i've done, it looks like it'll be either Vodafone Simply Broadband or Pure Telecom Purely Broadband...

Anybody had any dealings with Pure Telecom? 36 dabloons is damn good but I have never heard of them before... Also, I've been stung by vodafone before... Are they still a pain to deal with..?

If you can ... wait for fibre ... seriously dude/dudette you will not be sorry. It's on it 's way very soon to Letterkenny, If you go with Vodafone or Pure, you will get locked in for 12 or more months and then you will watch your neighbours downloading the internet EVERY fricking day!!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10 drtonic49

Ha! Yeah, suppose i'm just being hasty trying to get away from the one i'm with...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

Looking for broadband only in Cork City. Don't want phone or TV (though it seems like some bundles are cheaper than broadband only). Is fibre the way to go? Don't want an 18-month contract. 12-month or no contract at all would be preferable.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

nialljf wrote: »
    Looking for broadband only in Cork City. Don't want phone or TV (though it seems like some bundles are cheaper than broadband only). Is fibre the way to go? Don't want an 18-month contract. 12-month or no contract at all would be preferable.

Thanks

Magnet offer no contract broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭brady12

ennis county clare.is sky's fibre broadband worth the upgrade from normal one?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HorseField

What are my options: Galway City Centre. 6-12 months contract. Need high speed for HD streaming/gaming+tv if possible. Is UPC my best option? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cadger1978

Anyone know if Oldbridge just outside Drogheda has any chance of fiber? Anyone around there getting decent broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

broadband required for skype in Carrigaline. whats best? i need skype - friendly speeds. phone line from eircom but dunno if it active = we are new tenants. is it rue vodafone is pants for skype? need some practical advice...willing to pay up to 40-45 per month..tv excluded deals only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Wireless broadband in Kilcock
    Hi all,

Anyone have any recommendations for wireless broadband in the Kilcock area. I have tried ADSL but I am too far from the exchange so have about a 30% uptime

Would be more concerned with uptime than top end speed and also what its like when it slows

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Looking to get broadband in ashmount area of silversprings cork city

Upc cannot provide and sky at first said yes but now say no so I'll have to get back to them

What are my options? I really do need unlimited and fast broadband so any help is appreciated

M5 wrote: »
    Wireless broadband in Kilcock
    Hi all,

Anyone have any recommendations for wireless broadband in the Kilcock area. I have tried ADSL but I am too far from the exchange so have about a 30% uptime

Would be more concerned with uptime than top end speed and also what its like when it slows

Cheers

Go to this map and drop the marker on your house and tick the Wireless ISPs option. This will highlight any wireless providers that may cover your area. Give em a call and they will check to see if their signal hits your house or not. If they can, then you should be sorted.

I would however check for things like data limits, overly long contract periods and also search boards.ie for reviews on the WISP, as some of them can be pretty poor at customer service.

If there's no WISPs, then you may need to look at mobile midband, but whatever you do, do not give the satellite providers a look unless you are totally desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

Hi, my contract with smart is about and I am not happy about its broadband. I used their service for 3 years and this year was their last chance. I pay 50€ per month for 8mb/s download internet, its pretty okay if you are the only one who uses it, but when there are 3-4 people it turns into s*%#. So here is my question, which provider would you recommend to choose in co. Dublin - Saggart.

thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Hi all,
    As the NBS is now ended my data will go from 40gb for €20 to 15gb for €25 or 60gb for €39. And that for substandard speeds. I am unable to stream from the likes of RTE Player.

Any other options for me?
    I am in Rural Ballina

jamesbil wrote: »
    Hi all,
    As the NBS is now ended my data will go from 40gb for €20 to 15gb for €25 or 60gb for €39. And that for substandard speeds. I am unable to stream from the likes of RTE Player.

Any other options for me?
    I am in Rural Ballina

Have a look back at my last post #864 above. :rolleyes:

Tried that thanks, its saying west net but this is slower than I currently have. They offer 2mb up and 1 down, unlimited for €35.
    Doubt I could stream anything at that speed?

Tried that thanks, its saying west net but this is slower than I currently have. They offer 2mb up and 1 down, unlimited for €35.
    Doubt I could stream anything at that speed?

You're reading it wrong, it's 2 down and 1 up for €35. How about the 4 down 1 up for €45 package? You should be able to stream on that. It would be a better quality of connection than what you had from Three.

I'm on a 3 down 1 up wireless and streaming is usually OK as long as there is no one else doing something similar in the house.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    You're reading it wrong, it's 2 down and 1 up for €35. How about the 4 down 1 up for €45 package? You should be able to stream on that. It would be a better quality of connection than what you had from Three.

I'm on a 3 down 1 up wireless and streaming is usually OK as long as there is no one else doing something similar in the house.

Haha, I typed it wrong..

The map won't show mobile coverage for some reason.
    I suppose after years of €20 bill I'm finding over twice the price for the same speed a bit hard to swallow..

• Advertisement

Haha, I typed it wrong..

The map won't show mobile coverage for some reason.
    I suppose after years of €20 bill I'm finding over twice the price for the same speed a bit hard to swallow..

Ah but the speed on Wireless would be much more stable (generally) than Mobile (which can vary wildly). My service has degraded some bit over the years as the company gets more subscribers, but it's tolerable.

If you go to Vodafone and Meteor's web sites, you can get their coverage maps and see if they may be any better than Three. Obviously there are other Mobile companies, but only 3 sets of infrastructure out there (Vodafone, Three and Meteor).

Advertisement