Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Birds chat 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Yes, we have the sea on either side, about 100 metres away. No pic, the light was too bad. I'll try and get a shot next time I'm home during daylight hours.
    Excellent stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Noticed a Tree Sparrow among my usual mob of House Sparrows today. I wonder how long it has been visiting and I never noticed it before! Its definitely worth having a second look at House Sparrows in your garden when doing the survey counts.

Lucky you, I have not spotted a tree sparrow in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭IceMaiden

Yesterday about 10am on our outdoor kennel runs thermometer temp was -4 the birds seen in our paddock & pens hooded/grey crow, jackdaws,& pigeons ,blackbirds ,robins & unidentified small finch like birds. On the tree feeders blue & great tits, robins, jackdaws trying LoL
    Under hedge row bottoms blackbirds & thrush ,wagtails & in the sparse hedges long tailed tits in a small flock. Could hear snipe but didn’t see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Todays 10o'c count,
    6 blue tits
    3 coal tits
    1 great tit
    20 sparrows
    1 wren
    2 blackbirds
    5 goldfinch
    2 greenfinch
    15 rooks
    1 magpie
    2 jackdaws
    1 robin
    3 chaffinch
    2 wagtails

Will need to refill the feeders at this rate :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just had a count there
    19 x Goldfinch
    22 x Chaffinch
    14 x Greenfinch
    3 x Starling
    1 x Redpoll

Also getting regular visit from a small number of coaltits and bluetits although they weren't there when I looked out.

1 dead Greenfinch in one of the caged feeders this morning :(

here are some typical pics (these were not taken at the same time as the count)
    137385.jpg
    137386.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Total count for my garden so far this week = 1 song thrush :(

There again the feeders only went out on Monday and I haven't been here much in daylight. Thankfully I'll be at home for the rest of the week and I know they'll find me soon enough.

BrianD3 wrote: »

1 dead Greenfinch in one of the caged feeders this morning :(

137386.jpg
    The Greenfinch could have died from trichomonosis. Greenfinches are susceptible to it. Here's a link detailing the disease.
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/health/sickbirds/greenfinches.aspx
    If trichomonosis is suspected, it is recommended to temporarily stop putting out food, and leave bird baths dry until sick or dead birds are no longer found in the garden. Clean all bird feeders with with disinfectant and area (ground) around feeders. Keep an eye out for other dying birds especially greenfinch, which could indicate a problem.

Some tips concerning bird baths. I usually don't bother with them since I have two ponds in my garden. Unfortunately they are frozen over now:(
    I just use plastic lunch boxes at the moment. Water depth around 5cm. The birds can perch on the side and drink. I don't place the lunch boxes on the ground. I place them on a plastic bucket. If they are in direct contact with the ground they freeze quicker. I tried littlebug's method of putting a small rubber ball in the lunch box that helps as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

here is some sparrows and a thrush in the middle.
    27CF980849F940BDB5B77780BFD80267-0000335208-0002058273-00702L-CA79E6885A4E4953BB5CFFC90048C9E1.jpg

above thrush on his own.
    2C5A2ACBFE1A400EAC970F1889AE999C-0000335208-0002058277-00365L-1E30BB28A7BD4E5D9C3E1D6D4AB96565.jpg

my fearless Robin (nothing spooks him)
    74320D30BCB54CE7B4D1A24F7A8DBD51-0000335208-0002058276-00388L-BE3608DA22744C9DA5CBA2DAE024F600.jpg

Chaffinch and house sparrow
    5358F0C0B1EC4B499B67AD0089FD43D9-0000335208-0002058274-00680L-5D0E29850D8844FCADF3B72F24233353.jpg

need to get a camera with some optical zoom. there was a blue tit and a coal tit knocking around too but couldnt get close enough with my crappy compact!

saw a Blackcap today too. not sure if it was my first one, first one for a long time if i had seen one before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

41 Chaffinches today :eek: Had myself and 2 family members counting at different vantage points. Also delighted to see two linnets again.
    I also had one or two tree sparrows during the cold spell earlier this year but none that I could see so far this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Just logged a Buzzard. :) Didn't land but was hunting and came in quite low.

aslo have a Greenfinch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Had a bird today that was similar to a chaffinch that was being a total jerk, it wouldn't let any of the bird land on the feeder and there were some almost midair collisions and leg locking.

Can the colour vary between male chaffinches and do all the females migrate in winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Had a bird today that was similar to a chaffinch that was being a total jerk, it wouldn't let any of the bird land on the feeder and there were some almost midair collisions and leg locking.

Can the colour vary between male chaffinches and do all the females migrate in winter?

I find the chaffinches very timid, and they are the ones that sit on branch waiting their turn, but with the weather like this they might get a bit more aggressive, Greenfinches on the other hand are real bolshy and see off everything, as will Goldfinches. Younger male chaffinches may not be quite as colourful until mating time, but should still have the same colouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I'm getting a bit worried about my garden birds. I've been keeping a log year round and have seen a decrease in numbers since the cold spell started. For example, goldfinches peaked at 17 over the summer and settled at 8 through the autumn and early winter. Now I'm seeing 4. Usually bird numbers would go up as the food draws them in during colder days. I'm now positive that the resident pair of blue tits are now a single bird. Its possible some one else has started feeding nearby which has drawn some birds away. All species apart from house sparrows and starlings are either down or gone completely:( No apparent extra cat activity.

Just counted the wrens going into their night roost...at least 25!
    I think more couldn't fit. I'll see if I can get a bigger box there tomorrow.

Yellowhammer came through yesterday. Been a few years since seeing one in garden. I'm givng the Moorhens grain, 6 of them. Its about survival and they don't seem to be bothered as much about holding territory.

Mothman wrote: »
    Just counted the wrens going into their night roost...at least 25!
    I think more couldn't fit. I'll see if I can get a bigger box there tomorrow.

Yellowhammer came through yesterday. Been a few years since seeing one in garden. I'm givng the Moorhens grain, 6 of them. Its about survival and they don't seem to be bothered as much about holding territory.
    Throw some fresh straw (barley/wheat) along ground where you saw the yellowhammer. They will feed on the wild flower seeds in the straw. That might get him to stick around.

Throw some fresh straw (barley/wheat) along ground where you saw the yellowhammer. They will feed on the wild flower seeds in the straw. That might get him to stick around.
    Thanks....any tips in keeping my hens away from the straw.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I have three sunflower, one nyjer feeders here in Stillorgan. The numbers of visitors is way down over the last eighteen months. Mostly goldfinch, some chaffinch, regular coal tit(s), occasional blue tit and great tit. Of course I have no idea what the brown ones are.

On Monday I put out fat cylinders (with peanuts, insects embedded). Size is about large yogurt size. A goldfinch approached the feeders and had a wtf moment when it saw the fat and did a u-turn in mid-air. Today a few inches of fat was missing with plenty of pecking evident. They learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Today I saw the most birdies that I ever did see in my garden,(I have peanut feeder and seeds)
    The usual suspects of house sparrows starlins ,and 3 blue tits.... the other vistors were the great tit ,a robin ,a chaffinch, a dunnock , a pied wagtail ,and a grey wagtail.

I live in a suburb in N Dublin :)

EDIT: and a blackbird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I had dozens of sparrows last year and not a sign of them yet this year:confused: The siskins haven't arrived yet but they're usually late anyway. Plenty of goldfinches but no greenfinches yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Are you in a coastal location? Any photos?

Got a pic this morning, not great but good enough for comparison - tree sparrow on the left, house sparrow on the right.

picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=8031

Delighted to see a Goldcrest being very busy.
    Also a small flock of Siskens in the Alder. I don't usually get them at the nuts.
    3 Long-tailed tits at nuts yesterday and the Rooks have found my garden!
    Perhaps the memory for today is a female pheasant walking across the big pond!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

Hi,
    we've been trying to attract small birds to our garden for years - suburban dublin. All we get is crows, magpies and starlings!! (the very occasional finch/tit/robin and maybe a blackbird or two). So I'm guessing that we need to stop attracting the big scavengers. We've kind of given up lately and have started feeding the big things with crusts of bread/toast scraps etc. I assume I'd have to stop that, in order to get rid of them, and make it a safe garden for the smaller ones? We've loads of lovely shrubs, plenty of insects, seed and fat ball feeders, and lots of fat starlings!!

The mornings are like a scene from jungle book - the big vultures sitting on the roof waiting to swoop for their breakfast:)

thanks,

one of 2 coal tits thats around.
    going mad for the peanut butter, got closer shots of him on my phone but because he moves so fast they are too blurry.

319E8DCA792E44989C270901D9D3548F-0000335208-0002065489-00326L-949A6838196448FC860213783E12EC02.jpg

i spread some grain on the ground beside my van then got in and waited for the birds to feed. got this starling on the phone before it rang and scattered them all.

D17A548C6FEA4DF0845BC81C5BC74358-0000335208-0002065487-00487L-A2E4AB492393439DA17A09AADDF8DE4B.jpg

was in lidl earlier too and they have coconuts in their for 49c. there not very big ones but 49c is quite cheap is it not?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Had my first tree sparrow yesterday.
    Also had a woodcock which was very strange.

meemeep wrote: »
    Hi,
    we've been trying to attract small birds to our garden for years - suburban dublin. All we get is crows, magpies and starlings!! (the very occasional finch/tit/robin and maybe a blackbird or two). So I'm guessing that we need to stop attracting the big scavengers. We've kind of given up lately and have started feeding the big things with crusts of bread/toast scraps etc. I assume I'd have to stop that, in order to get rid of them, and make it a safe garden for the smaller ones? We've loads of lovely shrubs, plenty of insects, seed and fat ball feeders, and lots of fat starlings!!

The mornings are like a scene from jungle book - the big vultures sitting on the roof waiting to swoop for their breakfast:)

thanks,

the smaller birds would be largely intimidated by the corvids so will not hang around for long if they dont get any food.

plus if your neighbours have been feeding the local birds for a lot longer then the birds will hang around their place rather than yours.

Got a pic this morning, not great but good enough for comparison - tree sparrow on the left, house sparrow on the right.

Excellent photo:)
    Tree sparrow are uncommon in Ireland:( Would be great if you could put up a bird feeder in the area where this bird (or other tree sparrows) are present. They use peanut feeders. Here's a good link to these little gems.
    http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/IrelandsBirds/Sparrowsfinchesbuntings/TreeSparrow/tabid/1053/Default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

Should I discourage birds from my garden because of my cat? I try and keep an eye on her when she's out (she doesn't move from the beanbag much) but I can't all the time. I'm not too worried about the sparrows and tits but I've been getting a lot of ground feeders lately and I'm afraid she'll catch one eventually. The problem is I've been leaving food out and with the temperatures so low I don't want to suddenly stop feeding them.

Had loads in the garden on Friday - house sparrows, chaffinches, wren, thrush, grey wagtail to name a few...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

We have completed the survey for the past 3 years and really enjoy doing it. We tend to spend a lot of time outdoors during the 'nicer' weather so having something to do when this is not possible is great.

I have been trying to encourage others to do the survey with very limited success but it is certainly encouraging how many have started to buy feeders etc and make a conscious effort to keep them full in this weather.

Most of our bird numbers this year seem to be fairly consistent with last year so that has been a relief - hopefully that will continue. However to date we haven't observed any fieldfare or redwing and this has almost become an obsession as last year our field at the back (where we feed as well) was full of them. One additional species that has visited us this week is some lapwings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

That's a super image Half-cocked. You said it's not great, but, look at the way you got the different species, ie: tree & house sparrow's TOGETHER ;). Keep up the good photography.
    PS: I'm getting a couple of greenfinches in the last week. tree sparrows comes to feeders at 12am every day - about 15 of 'em or so. All the same come back it must be stated. A few great tits...my absolute favourite of all, so gregarious!!.We have a robin also, not sure if it's a female. A lot of magpies...(my nemesis :mad:). Starlings are not here this year as they we're in abundance last year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement