Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Birds chat 2011

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I have a regular visit from wagtail in the garden, but they tend to hang around under the feeders and on the garden table rather than on the feeders, never have seen one on the feeder.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bsal wrote: »
    I just checked BWI website to see when the winter garden bird survey starts and it says 28th November. Last year was my first time doing it and I really enjoyed it, can't wait for this one. Register for free to take part http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/?tabid=91

How do you go about taking part? I registered and that but all there is is a page that says it starts on the 28th? Do they put something up on the site on the 28th or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

How do you go about taking part? I registered and that but all there is is a page that says it starts on the 28th? Do they put something up on the site on the 28th or what?

When it starts you login with your username and password and it brings you to a page a bit like a spreadsheet with rows and columns, one side has a list of birds and the other is a blank space to enter the maximum amount of that species you have counted at any one time over that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

I have only ever seen pied wagtails along the road or railway tracks, never ever in a garden.
    We get robins on our feeders too. Mind you, our current one is pretty dumb!! A couple of years back we had a couple that would eat mealworms from our hands, the one we have now doesn't know a mealworm when he sees it on the back wall or the patio, and just settles for trying to snatch seeds from the feeder.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I've had a pair of wagtails in the garden for a few years now.

Very approachable. They seem quite territorial.

Sometimes get a pair of Grey wagtails also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

2 Tree Sparrows paid a visit yesterday, first ones I've seen in the garden since the Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Just started putting out food again.
    Have had (at least) 5 Goldfinches devouring the Nyger seed from the feeder, and from the ground below it.
    A bunch of (at least) 3 Coal Tits working on the seed feeder.
    1 Dunnock just started reappearing picking up whatever's fallen on the ground.

Not been in the house too much during daylight recently so not sure if the usual Robin, Blackcaps, Wagtails, Blackbirds have been around.

Just spotted a fabulous male Redpoll with red breast on the nyjer seed. First one I've seen in the garden this autumn (although they could have been around while I'm in work). Just had 2 Herring Gulls on the bird table as I write!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Had my first Goldcrest in the garden, I think. :)

Small, round, bouncing all around the place, and with a crest/stripe down the head.

If not Goldcrest, definitely something new at any rate.

Oh yeah, and eaten alive by midges!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

whyulittle wrote: »
    Had my first Goldcrest in the garden, I think. :)

Small, round, bouncing all around the place, and with a crest/stripe down the head.

If not Goldcrest, definitely something new at any rate.

Oh yeah, and eaten alive by midges!

Never in the same place for more than a second?
    High pitched chirp?
    Sounds very like them alright, I'd say there was probably at least one more. Anytime I see them there's more than one

• Advertisement

Could only see the one. Was in a small bare tree at first, and then crossed the garden into the ivy growing on the bigger trees. Was hopping about in the ivy.

Couldn't hear anything from it, though I did have a Coal Tit making a weird noise. Normally only hear a low squeak/squeal from them, but this fella was much louder. Thought it was a new bird at first.

Single one back in again today.

Got a better look, crest looked a lot more yellow than it did yesterday, and the eyes looked out of proportion with the rest of the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Not a great picture as it was hiding, was it like this?
    Earlyday_-31.jpg

Yeah I'm happy it was a Goldcrest.

Had a few Long-tailed Tits in this morning as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

E39MSport wrote: »
    I've had a pair of wagtails in the garden for a few years now.

Very approachable. They seem quite territorial.

Sometimes get a pair of Grey wagtails also.

Could not believe my eyes this evening when I got home with my boy in the car. He points to the roof of our house and asks what birds are they?
    I recognised them straight away , but my brain would not let me believe that 19 pied wagtails were perched on both sides of my roof!
    I took a couple of photo's with my phone, but it was twilight and poor resolution. I'm gonna try and get it clearer and see if its good enough to post.
    Like other posters, i've only ever seenpairs together over winter, and then in summer with their chicks. Never heard of them flocking together though.

Ah poop, quich search found this
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/p/piedwagtail/
    They gather together in large roosts, sometimes in towns, often assembling on roofs beforehand.

And here I was thinking my house was special !!
    Ah well, 41 yrs old and still learning !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

They roost in massive flocks around where I work. Perhaps several hundred. Also at the hotel where I stay in even greater numbers. Very beautiful. They seem to like reed beds.

They used to roost in huge numbers in the trees on O'Connell St before the Corpo cut them all down:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

They used to roost in huge numbers in the trees on O'Connell St before the Corpo cut them all down:mad:

Next time you are around there at dusk, have a look at the tree on westmoorland street thats nearest to the turn into temple bar. Should see plenty of them in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

There are two roosts at Antrim Area Hospital in Antrim. One group is in a stoopidly low hedge. The others roost in a garden that is surrounded by three storey wards.

There's a big roost at the entrance of Marks and Spencer at Sprucefield, Lisburn, Co. Antrim

A big roost in birch trees at Junction 1 outlet centre in Antrim town

and finally there is a big roost in birch trees on High Street Belfast

Those in trees always look like light bulbs

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

They chopped down the trees (in the middle of the night) and replaced them with that spire thing. Only in this country:mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

I use an old swing for hanging the feeders on looked out at lunchtime and a sparrowhawk
    sitting there being King of all he surveys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I've just started new thread for the upcoming garden bird survey, which starts this day next week!!

This thread is closed

Continue discussion & chat of birds in your garden in new thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement