Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Birds chat 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Male and Female Bullfinch in the Garden this morning , Stayed for a few minutes before moving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

I've looked out my window, first thing, today? Six Lesser Redpoll, right bang under the window! I'm sat here, studying these gorgeous little birds at three foot as they pecked about completely unconcerned by my appearance. Bless 'em! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ISP_dude

Had a female siskin hanging around the feeders all morning. First siskin I've seen in the garden :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

A first for my garden today three little Redpoll, was thrilled to see them didnt realise they were so tiny!

Redpoll-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I love the birdfeeder Rainbowsend, what do you have it connected to? Do you get big birds landing on it.

• Advertisement

I love the birdfeeder Rainbowsend, what do you have it connected to? Do you get big birds landing on it.

It is a tall pole with feeders hanging on the top and a water bowl and this little mesh bowl for the birds that dont like the feeders, 15 euro in Heatons
    it is brilliant, and funnily enough the big birds dont seem to bother with it.
    Looks quite nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Is there any little bird, similar to a male chaffinch, but with almost 'spiked hair' on top of its head?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

It is a tall pole with feeders hanging on the top and a water bowl and this little mesh bowl for the birds that dont like the feeders, 15 euro in Heatons
    it is brilliant, and funnily enough the big birds dont seem to bother with it.
    Looks quite nice too!

Ah, not only do you have the same new arrivals but you have the same birdfeeder as me!
    But I do regularly have pigeons and magpies landing on that tray section so they can peck at the hanging seed/fatball feeders.

First spotted them late this evening so the light wasn't great.
    5462820390_e2251ab7f1_z.jpg
    Redpoll

5462219165_976126ef73.jpg
    Redpoll

whyulittle wrote: »
    Is there any little bird, similar to a male chaffinch, but with almost 'spiked hair' on top of its head?

An agitated Chaffinch? Seriously. It's possible. They can 'raise their crest' when getting stroppy.

As ye asking, " similar to a male chaffinch " ..... Do ye not reckon it was possibly a chaffie then? Brambling? Female Brambling ....?

Hearvee wrote: »
    Ah, not only do you have the same new arrivals but you have the same birdfeeder as me!
    But I do regularly have pigeons and magpies landing on that tray section so they can peck at the hanging seed/fatball feeders.

First spotted them late this evening so the light wasn't great.

Redpoll

Redpoll

Good taste then :D My feeder is well hidden by a big cherry tree so it is quite awkward for bigger birds to land on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

My resident Garden Coal tit , a regular little squirrel this guy , must have dozens of hiding places around the garden where he hoards all the nuts and seeds.

New visitor to the garden today, Dunnock?

E0375B677CF54D249DA6E0D01E55310F-0000315944-0002182582-00500L-6AE032CF345D4FB3A3366F4356FDB39C.jpg

Dunnock alright. Lovely shot too! :)

Cheers Ditch.

Also had 10 Goldfinches the other day, highest number yet.

Redpoll have returned, male and female Siskin in today, but I haven't seen the Blackcap lately.

As to my other question above, I'm happy to believe it was just a normal Chaffinch. Was just wondering what it anything else. Checked Brambling before I asked, don't think it was that.

Interesting, isn't it? Everyone's reporting 'Redpoll. I've got Siskin for either the earliest 'summer' or the first winter in five years.

This is why I feel 'BirdTrack' can be so useful. If I want, I can go and check the exact dates and numbers of the birds I get here. I logged the details in passing. Now they're all stored and available to me :)

Of course, with probably Millions of active members? There's no telling what trends and data they can pull from all our massed in put.

I take it ye've signed up? Completely free, of course. Every little helps ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Agree with Doctor Evil Rainbowsend: The seed table is amazing!! Is there a Heaton's near Blackrock/Stillorgan - if you'd know? The Redpolls are lovely little finches. I love the red caps they have...after it's name no doubt... Your photo is superb ;);).

Beautiful Picture WUL ;);) Keep us all amused with more entries PLEASE!

sables2 wrote: »
    Agree with Doctor Evil Rainbowsend: The seed table is amazing!! Is there a Heaton's near Blackrock/Stillorgan - if you'd know? The Redpolls are lovely little finches. I love the red caps they have...after it's name no doubt... Your photo is superb ;);).

Nearest would be Carrickmines, they are excellent value, and at the moment are doing nuts/seeds/fatballs at very reasonable prices. A range of nest boxes that are purely decorative and not much use for birds although pretty should be avoided :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ISP_dude

I know this is a garden survey...but I just saw 6 long tailed tits in the bush outside my window in work! I have never seen them in my garden, so I was thrilled to get a glimpse of 6 of them right beside me :)

Thanks Rainbowsend for that info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

there is a pair of bullfinches outside my place stripping the plum tree of all its new buds. pesky buggers!

4 Redpoll, normally only get two at a time.

78A6887126FE4C099FED387D4CBB7482-0000315944-0002185625-00500L-2512086E17824849A02001271B6A2D39.jpg

F0F74729FC3E4D39A01ADC9E969917D7-0000315944-0002185619-00500L-45310C32A67E4546BF16252B2EB3E8D5.jpg

Plus this guy, male or Mealy?

Was sharing the Nyjer feeder with the Goldfinch, and looked bigger than the normal Redpoll. Had moved to the branches by the time I got the camera.

4FAA2FDEC2F3481E955228F61F2AF523-0000315944-0002185620-00500L-568E83E25FD74E03A78E9E7880D4C729.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

whyulittle wrote: »
    Plus this guy, male or Mealy?

Was sharing the Nyjer feeder with the Goldfinch, and looked bigger than the normal Redpoll. Had moved to the branches by the time I got the camera.

4FAA2FDEC2F3481E955228F61F2AF523-0000315944-0002185620-00500L-568E83E25FD74E03A78E9E7880D4C729.jpg

Male Linnet in splendid breeding plumage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Male Linnet in splendid breeding plumage.
    No it's a male redpoll. Linnet never have yellow bill, lack the black chin and black lores. Male breeding linnet does not have black streaking on breast.

No it's a male redpoll. Linnet never have yellow bill, lack the black chin and black lores. Male breeding linnet does not have black streaking on breast.

Feargal, its a mealy redpoll is it not?

do lesser redpoll's get the red on there brest?

trebor28 wrote: »
    Feargal, its a mealy redpoll is it not?

do lesser redpoll's get the red on there brest?
    http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/10533/Lesser_Redpoll.html
    Lesser redpoll

http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/29868/Mealy_Redpoll.html
    Mealy redpoll

Do be honest Trebor separating the two is feckin' difficult. I'm confused half the time:confused: It's hard getting a good article with pictures showing the differences.

With the bird in question you would have to see the mantle(upper back) of the bird to be sure if it's a mealy redpoll, but it looks like a lesser to me. Mealies are quite rare in éire.

I'm meeting up with one of the top guru's in Birdwatch ireland next week. I'll see if I can get more info on the Mealy/Lesser conundrum.

fair enough feargal, is there a subspecies of lesser redpolls or something??

how come some have red on the breast and some dont seem to have it.

Hopefully it'll stick around and I'll get a better range of shots.

Dunnock came back today, and my Blackcap returned yesterday! :D

Had a load of Chaffinch's around today, for some reason.

trebor28 wrote: »
    fair enough feargal, is there a subspecies of lesser redpolls or something??

how come some have red on the breast and some dont seem to have it.
    Females and 1st winter birds have no red on breast. Males coming into breeding season and in summer have red on breast.
    There are 3 species of tickable redpoll:
    Lesser Redpoll (our birds)
    Mealy Redpoll (from North Scandanavia)
    Artic Redpoll (artic)

• Advertisement

Beautiful images WUL ;);) Love the male Linnet!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement