Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest dissapointment of the year?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

FFXIII - what a crock of ****. im playing through ffviii atm and it is infinately better

Metroid Other M. havent played it but ive heard all about it and since i f**kin love metroid, knowing that they have raped it pisses me off.

Supreme Commander 2...... what a farce of a game

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

DarkJager wrote: »
    Medal Of Honor - It looked great in all the previews and even the trailer before launch...until you realised all those cool trailer sequences were pretty much all the action in the game and it was over within 5 hours.

Agreed but multiplayer is great on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Final Fantasy XIII by a mile. I wasn't even expecting that much, and I got so much less.

The bugs in New Vegas as well, it was probably the only new game I really looked forward to, and it's great, but so very broken, to the point I just stopped playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

For me it has to be UFC Undisputed 2010. From about Januarty on I was gettin excited for this game. The day it came out I went out straight away after work and bought it. First impressions were not great, which got me worrying a bit. For the first week or 2, i played it most days for a couple of hours, but after that it kinda got left on the shelf.

A couple of weeks later i got ModNation Racers, it lasted a bit longer but it's bee na while since i even bothered to play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DonOcelot

Mafia II, i thought this game was gonna be the bees knees. Although i still enjoyed playing the game but it had the potential to be great.

FIFA 11, with PES gone so bad the last few years, i was forced to play FIFA and actually though FIFA 10 was ok. But when in the build up to FIFA EA were talking about personality + and the other little aspects, i really though FIFA 11 could be a great game. Man was i disappointed, almost exactly the same as 10, super strong and fast defenders, super goalies, everyone played the same, ridiculously slow passing or as everyone says "More realistic", yeah right. As bad as PES was this year its still better than FIFA.

The Fight. I like the Move, its good fun. It does suffer from a lack of titles at the moment so i was looking forward to "The Fight" and man what a pile of ****e that was, such a waste of great tech.

Fallout New Vegas. This is a great game, fantastic actually, i love it and loved the other Fallout too. At first when i played a few hours it was fine and i was wondering what all the complaining about bugs was about. Then they came out of nowhere. Walking in thin air, invisible gun sights, skipping etc... but the worse bug is the random freezing. So many times where i would try to enter a building or fast travel somewhere and the game would just freeze. Its extremely frustrating and its a disgrace that its happening at all this generation.

COD: Black Ops:Not exactly a disappointment as the others, its just that the game is brilliant, online is fantastic, its perfectly balanced for once, no super weapons, deathstreaks, stopping power and martydom, great customization options, tons of depth etc... But the worse part is we cant fully enjoy all this because of constant connection and lag problems. Fix it soon Treyarch, for the love of god.

Overall, its been a great year for gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Steam for Mac.

Great idea, absolutely DIRE execution.

HL2 in Windows (Bootcamp) runs faster in High than in OSX at minimum res/details.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Jesus yeah Supreme Commander 2. Was looking forward to that game for yonks and when it was released it felt someone took a dump on my chest and told me to eat it

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

God of War 3 much overrated piece of crap I have ever spent money on. Just can't even compare to the previous two even the PSP one was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

this thread just reasserts the fact that more originality is needed in the gaming industry. the majority of disappointments have been from sequels and spinoffs. whats wrong with a game that needs no follow up? wheres the originality?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Mr E wrote: »
    Demon's Souls would be in my disappointments list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

weiland79 wrote: »

For me without a doubt 'Operation Flashpoint' was the biggest dud of the year.
    Apart from the fact that it didn't do what it said on the tin, it was just not fun to play.
    I tracked this game from the moment i read 'Open world, squad based tactical shooter.
    Ha i laugh at this discription now as it couldn't have been farther from the truth.
    ?
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I could see Operation Flashpoint being a dud from a mile off but yet got shouted down when people told me I was wrong.

What the hell? Anyone who knows what they're talking about knew that A, Operation Flash Point 2 was always going to be bad as it wasn't even the real sequel and the only thing it had in common with the 1st game was its name.

And B, the REAL sequel had been already released, Armed Assault. And what any true operation flash point fan should have been looking forward to was ArmA2 and ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead.

I can't understand why anyone would be disappointed about Op flash point 2 when the game they actually wanted was already out with a different name (but the same devs)

@weiland, PLEASE tell me your aware of arma/arma2 etc?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I dunno if they were this year. Dante's Inferno; an interesting-looking GoW clone turned into a real grind fest that wasn't fun; Naughty Bear looked to be hilarious good fun but was a full-priced game, incredibly short and repetitive; Darksiders promised to be something like Zelda but with a WoW art-style (it fell quite short of that)

I'd mention Kinect tbh. Initially hyped as 1:1 controller-less gaming, hearing and then playing the 1/2-second lag and embarassing generic/poorly-executed mini-games.... really disappointed to hear they took the "hardcore" tech out to make it cheaper; so it looks like Kinect will be resigned to casual-only games (i.e. it can't process really accurate movements quickly) :( Please prove me wrong MS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Did many games not disappoint.Maybe i'm just expecting this Gen to get better & better.But what game this year improved on its sequel or did something new eg Arkham Asylum.I liked Alan Wake despite its faults,Poke Heart Gold for a bit of Nostalgia & Mass Effect 2 for coming out early on & still being for me the Game of the Year.The handhelds had another bad year with very few new titles.
    Can't wait for the games coming out early next year i'll be skint though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Naughty Bear looked to be hilarious good fun but was a full-priced game, incredibly short and repetitive;
    As soon as the actual gameplay videos came out I knew it would be a steaming pile of ****e!
    Like Manhunt, but with teddy bears?... Think I'll pass thanks!:p

Surprised to see some of my games of the year listed here (Bayonetta and Darksiders), but I guess they're not to everyone's taste...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Sisko wrote: »
    @weiland, PLEASE tell me your aware of arma/arma2 etc?

Aware yes, played no. Unfortunately my laptop isn't up to the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Aware yes, played no. Unfortunately my laptop isn't up to the challenge.

Even the Original Arma is better than Dragon Rising. Very few players are playing it though. OA and Arma II are where the fun is at. Before you get disappointed with Red River I suggest buying a new laptop and buying Arma II Gold. Who knows red river, may not make next years thread? But, my initial expectation is that it will like make next year's and the year after threads.

Biggest disappointment for me is Metroid Other M. I haven't played it as I've read the plot, Samus as a character was butchered and so too was Retro's excellent gameplay style. I'd love a 2d metroid, but if you're gonna do 3d please allow full analogue movement not just sh1tyy dpad.

Second disappointment is Splinter Cell Conviction. Getting the game work on PC was a pain, and it just followed the common UBI trend of dumbing crap down. I haven't written off the Splinter Cell franchise yet, but there are signs it's going the way of Rainbow Six.:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Has to be Star Trek Online for me as well. How they could **** it up so badly is beyond me. So much potential, so utterly wasted.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Darksiders promised to be something like Zelda but with a WoW art-style (it fell quite short of that)

Weird, cause this was definitely my 'i'd heard nothing about it, but absolutly ****ing loved it' game of the year.

Definitely Bioshock 2. I was expecting huge things after being completely engrossed by the first, but this one just left me feeling cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Malty_T wrote: »
    I suggest buying a new laptop.:([/QUOTE

Funny, I've suggested this to my OH and she has suggested that we should feed the kids first.

damn hungry kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Funny, I've suggested this to my OH and she has suggested that we should feed the kids first.

damn hungry kids!
    Become neglegent parents. That way you'll save money and if you're lucky, social services will take them away and you'll be able to afford an even better laptop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

humanji wrote: »
    Become neglegent parents. That way you'll save money and if you're lucky, social services will take them away and you'll be able to afford an even better laptop!

A fine strategy if you are playing The Sims!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Red Dead Redemption (Booooooring)
    Halo: Reach (seventy nine headshots to kill someone makes Grayditch angry and frustrated)
    Dante's Inferno (how long can I hack this same enemy before I turn off this console?)
    Risk Factions (only because they don't punish rage quitters, but with mates, it's sweet, sweet Risk goodness)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Star Trek online - what a piece of crap and 10 months on it still is.

Bioshock 2 - no way should this rubbish have been a full price release as even as cheepish DLC it would be meh.

Surprised at the Red dead hate tho as I thought it was a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Nothing really disappointed me, as others have said, games they expected to be bad turned out to be bad. Like AVP or dark void.

Games i knew i wouldn't enjoy like Halo and COD came out, and surprise i didn't enjoy them.

Maybe Bioshock 2 although i enjoyed it it did disappoint but not to the extent that its a bad game its actually quite good just not as good as it should have been.

But not a bad year for gaming really. Maybe my biggest disappointments would be games getting pushed back to 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Grayditch wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption (Booooooring)

+1 On that, bought it because everyone said it was great, returned it pretty quickly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I am absolutely stunned that people are saying Red Dead Redemption on this thread, I thought it was a fantastic return to form after being pretty disappointed at how wrong they got a lot of GTA IV. What did people hate about it? :confused:

Anyway, for me, the biggest disappointment this year has to be Fable 3 (to have finished the main storyline in 2 days is a frakin' joke and to have been railroaded into that with no warning that I was gonna have no more time to wander around finishing quests was a piss poor decision). I wouldn't mind, but I was really enjoying it for the first day as it was like a slightly polished Fable 2 - they even made the multiplayer work properly. But I'm just stunned that I finished it in half the time I spent on Fable 2 (which I didn't finish as I tried playing it in multiplayer and it made me too angry as it was so awful).

The other disappointment has been Medal of Honor (played it on PC). It just suddenly stopped after almost no game play (5ish hours tops? Are you pulling the piss lads?). It's multiplayer isn't bad at all, but I'm tired of generic modern day achievement based multiplayer FPS games and certainly this didn't do much to change my outlook on them. So many of my (I note console owning) friends raced out to buy Blops like it was some sort of wonder-drug and I can't figure it out at all. Tragic to see them turned into consumers and not gamers... I haven't played Blops, I have no interest in it, maybe it's a great game, but I can't help but feel cynical about it. It's just turned FPS games into yearly recurring titles like the sports games which means they get away with making them shorter. Remember the days when games companies released free content or modding communities meant a game had a 3 year life span, not 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kharn wrote:
    It's just turned FPS games into yearly recurring titles like the sports games which means they get away with making them shorter. Remember the days when games companies released free content or modding communities meant a game had a 3 year life span, not 12 months?

There are many, many more developers of fine FPS games than just Activision & EA ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    There are many, many more developers of fine FPS games than just Activision & EA ;)

I dunno man as the last two FPS titles that had any length to them were Farcry and Crysis with everything since hitting 5-6 hours max.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Kharn wrote: »
    I am absolutely stunned that people are saying Red Dead Redemption on this thread, I thought it was a fantastic return to form after being pretty disappointed at how wrong they got a lot of GTA IV. What did people hate about it? :confused:

I would guess that the free roaming aspect put some people off, it can be boring at times when you dont have much to do, but i thought it was quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

APB and Sniper: Ghost Warrior. Both had so much potential, yet failed to deliver due to mistakes that really shouldn't have been made.

Advertisement