Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest dissapointment of the year?

Options
  • 24-11-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

What game did you spend months/years tracking. Sucking up every available tidbit until release day. Maybe you went to a midnight launch and maybe you convinced some of your mates to buy it on nothing more than the basis that 'you' thought it was going to be awesome......but turned out to be pants:mad:

For me without a doubt 'Operation Flashpoint' was the biggest dud of the year.
    Apart from the fact that it didn't do what it said on the tin, it was just not fun to play.
    I tracked this game from the moment i read 'Open world, squad based tactical shooter.
    Ha i laugh at this discription now as it couldn't have been farther from the truth.

What about you guy's? What's gathering dust in the wardrobe or propping up the wonky coffee table in your house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Star Trek Online

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I think for me it has to be ModNation Racers.

I never quite got to grips with the feel of the karts and the AI was far too aggressive. Even after the patch that was supposed to have toned them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Medal Of Honor - It looked great in all the previews and even the trailer before launch...until you realised all those cool trailer sequences were pretty much all the action in the game and it was over within 5 hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I could see Operation Flashpoint being a dud from a mile off but yet got shouted down when people told me I was wrong.

No real disappointments for me this year. I started playing FF13 and have been told it's terrible but I'm kind of enjoying it truth be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Mafia 2. FAR too many cut scenes. I buy games to play them not to watch movies. Best thing about it was the soundtrack. Too much driving as well and not enough action.

I played Modern Warfare 2 earlier this year. It's rare that I complete games but I finished this one really quick. WTF is it with the amount of cut scenes in games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I could see Operation Flashpoint being a dud from a mile off but yet got shouted down when people told me I was wrong.QUOTE]

I was probably one of the ones shouting at you:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Metroid Other M

Why in the name of **** didn't they leave the series with Retro studios:(
    The ONLY current gen game that I've sold because I couldn't stand the sight of the horrible bastardisation on my shelf, and I've bought a few stinkers in my time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Mafia 2's wasted city, and Star Trek Online. Never buying a promotional pre-release lifetime sub again! Ouchie!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

weiland79 wrote: »
    I was probably one of the ones shouting at you:o

Might have been, no worries though :) I just saw the developers showing off the game and demonstrating the explosive effects of the red barrels and regenerating health and realised that these guys didn't have a clue what they were doing or know what made the first game so good. Even when they removed the red barrels I knew the game was in the wrong hands.

TBH this year has been more full of pleasant surprises than anything. Granted I haven't played Other M but it seems they totally destroyed Samus from what I hear. Even sadder is that the new samus is being made canon and the fantastic Metroid Prime games apparently 'takes place in another continuum'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Even sadder is that the new samus is being made canon and the fantastic Metroid Prime games apparently 'takes place in another continuum'.

What a crock of ****e!:(
    Its rare that I agree wholeheartedly with Yahtzee, but he really hit the nail on the head with his review of Other M!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I could see Operation Flashpoint being a dud from a mile off but yet got shouted down when people told me I was wrong.
    To be honest, I didn't think it was going to be up to much. But even so, it was shockingly bad. It was like thinking you were loading up Fallout New Vegas and finding out you're playing Pacman.

Fable 3 was an incredibly shallow game and I'd expected better of it. I still enjoyed it, but it's not a patch on the previous two games. But I still didn't expect it to be great.

Actually, I kind of didn't have much hope for a lot of games that came out this year. The ones I did expect to be great, I thought were. The others still disappionted me, but not devestatingly so. Alien Vs Predator is an example of this. I didn't expect much and so wasn't surprised when it didn't deliver.

Actually Alien vs Predator was really bad one. I knew it was going to be terrible but it was worse than I expected. For some reason it has some fans though and got some good reviews from some places.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

AvP
    FFXIV
    GT5
    Halo Reach
    APB

AvP
    FFXIV
    GT5
    Halo Reach
    APB

Forgot about Reach. I don't know what it is but i just cannot get into that game. I had never played a Halo game before (only have an Xbox 3-4 mths) and was realy looking forward to this. Maybe someone can clear this up for me. WTF is up with controls when in a vehicle i just can't get the hang of it and this has proved a game breaker for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Black Ops.

Forgot about Reach. I don't know what it is but i just cannot get into that game. I had never played a Halo game before (only have an Xbox 3-4 mths) and was realy looking forward to this. Maybe someone can clear this up for me. WTF is up with controls when in a vehicle i just can't get the hang of it and this has proved a game breaker for me.

The vehicle goes where you point the crosshair, takes a while to get used to but it works once you figure it out. Might be that the Halo games are overrated and you were disappointed when it turned otu to be nothing special either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Mafia 2. FAR too many cut scenes. I buy games to play them not to watch movies. Best thing about it was the soundtrack. Too much driving as well and not enough action.

Mafia 2 was one of my favourite games of the year but I can see why others had problems with it. However, I don't recall there being many more cut scenes than in the original Mafia.

Red Dead Redemption was defintely the most disappointing game for me. I followed all of the hype and thought it was going to be excellent. Parts of it were ok but the majority was just dull. GTA 4 shook my confidence in Rockstar, but RDR completely destroyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Supreme Commander 2
    Crappy graphics, very exploitable AI, dumbed down for consoles and just generally not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Medal of Honor and Final Fantasy 13

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fallout: New Vegas for me. I got Fallout 3: GOTY edition earlier in the year and thought it was great fun but NV isn't the same, can't get into like number 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I agree with tman about Metroid Other M. Rented it, and got about a 3rd of the way through before bringing it back.

I may be lynched for this, but Demon's Souls would be in my disappointments list. It didn't live up to the hype for me, and I didn't find it particularly fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Fallout: New Vegas - Simply because I can't play it for more than 30mins without it crashing on me :mad:

Mr E wrote: »
    I may be lynched for this, but Demon's Souls would be in my disappointments list. It didn't live up to the hype for me, and I didn't find it particularly fun to play.

You just made baby jesus cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

major disappointments:

bayonetta
    god of war 3
    heavy rain

Hated all 3 with a passion.

mild disappointments
    fallout new vegas
    dead rising 2

great games spoiled by some ****ty design choices

also people saying operation flashpoint, that was last october ;)

That just shows how bad it was. It's been burned into peoples memories and we keep getting horrible flashbacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Bugs have ruined a lot of Games for me.The dissapointing ones for me were sequels.I got the loan of Dead Rising 2 & Crackdown 2 both were glorified expansion packs.From what I hear BioShock 2 & Fallout New Vegas are the same.Mafia II is atrocious.Fable III, SC Conviction & Black Ops were big letdowns.The COD franchise is dead for me anyway 3 meh games in a row.

Oh yeah Splinter Cell Conviction was another one. A Splinter Cell game in name and Michael Ironside only.

major disappointments:

Weiland79 scratches head ponderously........ walks off........comes back again...... God damn you Chairman meow you just ruined my thread....... A pox on you sire!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Weiland79 scratches head ponderously........ walks off........comes back again...... God damn you Chairman meow you just ruined my thread....... A pox on you sire!!!!!

Sorry..a game that ****ty is sadly ingrained on my brain from the day i bought it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I would have said Operation Flashpoint also. It was such a bad game!

Anyways, this years:
    Fable 3, definitely never getting another Lionhead game again, it was so boring.

AVP, crap campaign and couldn't even get an online game, nobody playing it.

Bioshock 2, I normally play a game to the end even if it is a disappointment, just getting my moneys worth, but this was shocking bad, it was the "straight to dvd sequel" so to be speak.

Crackdown 2, as already stated it was just an expansion pack.

Advertisement