Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

**** in the IT rooms who talk to each other as if nobody else is in the room. Not just First year dafties talking about last night in Carbon either, actual adults talking at the top of their voice about their geeky little project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I don't get the Bialann. Some of the staff have no common sense at all and there's just no communication!

Had a hankering for a rasher sandwich this morning. So the breakfast place is open selling a 3 item breakfast and 2 slices of toast for 4.50. I could have got that and made the sandwich myself but I wanted to take away. So I popped over to the sandwich bar place and I said, "I was wondering if maybe ye could make up a sandwich for me using 3 rashers from over there and I'll pay the price for a small breakfast." After some consultation, the two people there said ok. I was thinking, hey, maybe I've been harsh on judging these guys before. They're actually doing something helpful. Fair play!

But then the sandwich was made and she handed it to me on a plate. I said, would you mind wrapping it up so I can take it away? She got a bit thick, said "No, if I wrap it up, what can I write on it? They won't know what to charge at the till."
    "Well, why not write 4.50 on it, so then they will know?"
    "I can't do that, we don't do this"

What?

So I arrive at the till, say to the cashier, "There's 3 rashers in that there". "That'll be 3.45 please" she says. So I ended up saving money, which was good. Wrapped my sandwich in a load of napkins and she gave me a paper bag. She was sound now. But I just don't get it. That's just majorly unhelpful and bad form and it shows a lack of common sense!

I spend a lot of time in the IT cafe and the staff in there would listen to any request. It makes a massive difference. I'll happily pay a bit extra when the service is helpful and friendly. It costs them nothing. Well, in this case it lost them money!

I needed a vent...

probably worried that they would get in **** for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭isilidur1980

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I don't get the Bialann. Some of the staff have no common sense at all and there's just no communication!

Had a hankering for a rasher sandwich this morning. So the breakfast place is open selling a 3 item breakfast and 2 slices of toast for 4.50. I could have got that and made the sandwich myself but I wanted to take away. So I popped over to the sandwich bar place and I said, "I was wondering if maybe ye could make up a sandwich for me using 3 rashers from over there and I'll pay the price for a small breakfast." After some consultation, the two people there said ok. I was thinking, hey, maybe I've been harsh on judging these guys before. They're actually doing something helpful. Fair play!

But then the sandwich was made and she handed it to me on a plate. I said, would you mind wrapping it up so I can take it away? She got a bit thick, said "No, if I wrap it up, what can I write on it? They won't know what to charge at the till."
    "Well, why not write 4.50 on it, so then they will know?"
    "I can't do that, we don't do this"

What?

So I arrive at the till, say to the cashier, "There's 3 rashers in that there". "That'll be 3.45 please" she says. So I ended up saving money, which was good. Wrapped my sandwich in a load of napkins and she gave me a paper bag. She was sound now. But I just don't get it. That's just majorly unhelpful and bad form and it shows a lack of common sense!

I spend a lot of time in the IT cafe and the staff in there would listen to any request. It makes a massive difference. I'll happily pay a bit extra when the service is helpful and friendly. It costs them nothing. Well, in this case it lost them money!

I needed a vent...

Most people go to the Bialann because the food is cheap. Individually pricing items will mean bigger costs and therefore bigger prices. Wrapping eveyone's food the way they want it will mean material and time costs also. These will be borne by the majority who like the place the way it is, specifically because its cheap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

**** in the IT rooms who talk to each other as if nobody else is in the room. Not just First year dafties talking about last night in Carbon either, actual adults talking at the top of their voice about their geeky little project.

God forbid lads in the IT room chat about IT projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I personally think the **** who don't even do an IT subject yet get a friend to give them their password for IT computers are worse. Or the people that come in, unplug a computer and use their laptop. Then leave, and don't plug said computer back in. As above, God forbid a group talking about their pretty important projects which are worth 10 ECTS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

In fairness you make it sound like you'd prefer them to be talking about a night out in Carbon, I could only dream about hearing some I.T. student actually talking about an important I.T. project in one of our labs. I get what your saying about the noise levels, but that's the only concern here as far as I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I think the poster is saying that they should discuss it quietly. There are other people trying to work there. I hate how self-involved some people can be.

poisonated wrote: »
    I think the poster is saying that they should discuss it quietly. There are other people trying to work there. I hate how self-involved some people can be.
    Exactly my point. I didn't think people actually thought talking about work meant it was ok to be loud, but the above replies suggest some do.

Exactly my point. I didn't think people actually thought talking about work meant it was ok to be loud, but the above replies suggest some do.

Well they are rarely so loud they disturb anyone else's work. Even if they were much louder talking isn't prohibited in the labs as it is in the library, its just discouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Well they are rarely so loud they disturb anyone else's work. Even if they were much louder talking isn't prohibited in the labs as it is in the library, its just discouraged.

Something not being prohibited does not necessarily mean it's okay..

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    Something not being prohibited does not necessarily mean it's okay..

Doesn't mean it's not either. If OP wants silence im sure there's some room up the quiet zone in the library ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Thanks NUIG...making me realise I actually need to do work and releasing the exam timetables this early.

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Thanks NUIG...making me realise I actually need to do work and releasing the exam timetables this early.
    Only 1st years isn't it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Only 1st years isn't it?

Unfortunately :( Everyone else gets a few weeks more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭isilidur1980

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Doesn't mean it's not either. If OP wants silence im sure there's some room up the quiet zone in the library ;)

The quiet zone in the library can be just as bad as the labs!! I don't know if its just me but no matter what seat I choose in the library, there always seems to be someone talking, listening to music loud on earphones, etc. I even had a fella come in and start watching a show on his laptop without earphones!!

I woke up early to get a good day of study in but then got kicked out of the library because of smoke... Luckily, I found a lab. Come to think of it, I should get back to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Seen that, was wondering what was happening, must be the dust from the consaw been used on the adjacent building site to cutt bricks/concrete blowing in?

I think so. They let people back in the library but there is still a horrible smell.

The library website. Maybe I'm just really thick but there seems to be no link on the homepage to view what books you have out, which seems like a pretty major primary function to me.

In fact the only way I can see of finding out is to click 'Borrowing and Renewing', which takes me to a page telling me about borrowing books, then on the left I can click 'My Library Account' which instead of taking me to My Library Account, takes me to a page telling me about My Library Account. I then click 'Check how many books you have on loan and when they are due back.' which takes me to a library search engine rather that what it just told me, from here I can click My Account at the top right and finally find a list of books taken out on my account. C'mon son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

The library website. Maybe I'm just really thick but there seems to be no link on the homepage to view what books you have out, which seems like a pretty major primary function to me.

In fact the only way I can see of finding out is to click 'Borrowing and Renewing', which takes me to a page telling me about borrowing books, then on the left I can click 'My Library Account' which instead of taking me to My Library Account, takes me to a page telling me about My Library Account. I then click 'Check how many books you have on loan and when they are due back.' which takes me to a library search engine rather that what it just told me, from here I can click My Account at the top right and finally find a list of books taken out on my account. C'mon son.

It's a pretty big hole for one website :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Yeah both the library and CASS websites layout could do with a bit of formatting tbh. There seem to be numerous portals that facilitate in bringing you to no place in particular
    The my library account link on this page brings you to a working edition.

It's a pretty big hole for one website :pac:
    Whoah trip. I was sure I posted this in the Bitch about NUIG thread. Mods, do your thang.
    Yeah both the library and CASS websites layout could do with a bit of formatting tbh
    Even the main NUIG site is a nightmare. Back before they 'revamped' it, everything was much easier to find. I've long since given up trying to navigate it and just use a Google search to find the parts I want now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Hate it when lecturers upload their notes to blackboard in 'handout' format. ie 6 to a page.

Any diagrams that were visible during the actual lecture is now the size of a postage stamp!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

I agree, although there is a 'hidden' way:

http://opac.nuigalway.ie/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_public_access_catalog

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

Waited for over half an hour for a computer in the library, during that time two girls come, girl A sees no computers and me waiting and sits down, girl B sees us waiting, looks, and eventually sits down. guy gets up with his friend and they walk off, she goes and takes the computer even though there are 2 of us in front of her. I go over, ask her will she be long because we are waiting in the queue ahead of her she says she just has to print, 10 mins later she leaves. I take the computer. half hour later guys come back. He takes his bag and starts giving out that I signed him out. Obv doesn't believe me that I didn't seeing as I'm at the computer he apparently left signed in.

What a bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭yer man!

Person near me reserving a desk for 6 hours in the library, no sign of anyone coming.....

move the stuff. People keep walking by here looking for a desk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

...Or if you don't want to move it yourself, ask Libocop. He'll gladly do it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Whoah trip. I was sure I posted this in the Bitch about NUIG thread. Mods, do your thang.

Even the main NUIG site is a nightmare. Back before they 'revamped' it, everything was much easier to find. I've long since given up trying to navigate it and just use a Google search to find the parts I want now.
    I'd say more than half of the links to PDF and DOC files at nuigalway.ie are busted. It's a shambles.

• Advertisement

shouldn't be doc files anyway...

Advertisement