Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Water may do the least damage, that's a really good point. But I know for me at least, when I have tea I a) drink it faster than any other drink because it can't go cold or its rotten, and b) am a lot more mindful of where I leave it down, where my arms are etc.

It could easily happen that if you check a book out of the library, a lot more than a tea/coffee stain could occur. You could get bolognese all over it, your baby sister might decide its nicer than her usual mush, the dog might chew it up etc. Accidents can happen anywhere to be fair! It should be enforced that its either water or nothing at all though, spilling lucozade would be stickier than spilling tea like:)!

While I'm here, I might as well add in about the library, what's with the toilets? Not a regular in the library at all but when I needed to go I had to text someone to find out where they were, as there just aren't any little signs or anything saying it! You'd think they'd be near the lads jacks, but anyway! And then, when I got there, there were 3 cubicles, 2 of which were out of order! I mean, the amount of people that are inevitably going to need to go, and only one toilet, seems a bit daft? Had to queue up, like in a niteclub or something!:rolleyes:

You really start to notice all the annoying things about university at exam time, I don't do half as much giving out the rest of the time:o!

I'am sure that you yourself are mindful when it comes to avoiding spills, but come on, what about, for example the messers, incessant chatters etc.
    I couldn't see that crowd being to careful not to spill Diet Coke or whatever on books.

And sure the books may get damaged when taken out. It is hard to avoid this from happening, however they probably spend over 50% of their life span within the library. So while they are within the university, it is very good sense to make, and enforce, rules to help protect their condition at that time.

Besides, have you every been in there and someone within 10 yards of you opens up a can of Red Bull, it stink's the place up no end.
    One person may choose to drink it, but everybody around them has to smell it, uh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

cat_xx wrote: »
    I was in the bialinn today and the manager came up to me and my boyfriend and told us we were not allowed to eat food from other shops in there.. we had food from centra. She told us we would have to buy something in the bialinn to remain seating there and she said the same to a few others...

That sounds perfectly reasonable.
    If you had a bit of cop on there wouldn't be any need for her to come down and tell you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Prob because the place is quiet in there today and they've nothing else for doing.

I'd love to be approached in a situation like above. I know it sounds knacker'ish but i'd simply reply with "Make me" - It'd be some sight to see her get a few boys out from the kitchen to physicially lift you off the premesis (which would never happen as this constitutes as assault)
    Is An Bialann not part of the student campus, and therefore you're fully entitled to use their seating areas? Or has the college sold its students down the river once again and does it belong to Campbell Catering or whatever other shower of rip off merchants run that circus?

Is there anywhere else provided for students to eat their own food, that is indoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Is An Bialann not part of the student campus, and therefore you're fully entitled to use their seating areas? Or has the college sold its students down the river once again and does it belong to Campbell Catering or whatever other shower of rip off merchants run that circus?

Is there anywhere else provided for students to eat their own food, that is indoors?

I was trying to think of that earlier, the only place I can come up with is Smokey's, and possibly that cafe in Aras na Mac Leinn too, but I'm not 100% sure. Its pure crap like!

With the Bialann as well, did ye notice at a certain time in the evening, no matter how wedged it is, they just close off areas? Its thick, like I know they're trying to make less work for themselves in cleaning, but what's the point in having it there at all if you can't use it while the place is still busy? Don't like the place anyway anymore. The worst eatery on campus, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

Ficheall wrote: »
    That sounds perfectly reasonable.
    If you had a bit of cop on there wouldn't be any need for her to come down and tell you.

Judging by your replies to other comments i half expected this. I wouldn't have minded half as much if there were signs stating this as most half decent restaurants do. Iv never seen/heard this happening before and i don't see the problem with eating food from other places in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Judging by your replies to other comments i half expected this. I wouldn't have minded half as much if there were signs stating this as most half decent restaurants do. Iv never seen/heard this happening before and i don't see the problem with eating food from other places in there.

Especially considering how horrible their own is most of the time!:p

tbf most of his comments are spot on - don't think that just because some of the lads on here work themselves into a rage about them that they're any less credible.

If the Bialann has been busy then I suppose it's fair enough they might ask you to move on, although I bet there was a good 50 people there who had long finished their food and were just chatting. Hate the place personally, seems to be more of a 'sit around with ur mates and gawk at everyone else' place than somewhere to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

seems to be more of a 'sit around with ur mates and gawk at everyone else' place than somewhere to eat.

Completely contradicting yourself when a few posts before you said that it was
    Is An Bialann not part of the student campus, and therefore you're fully entitled to use their seating areas?

Why are you now giving out that people go in there to sit around and have a gawk? Make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

tbf most of his comments are spot on - don't think that just because some of the lads on here work themselves into a rage about them that they're any less credible.

If the Bialann has been busy then I suppose it's fair enough they might ask you to move on, although I bet there was a good 50 people there who had long finished their food and were just chatting. Hate the place personally, seems to be more of a 'sit around with ur mates and gawk at everyone else' place than somewhere to eat.

The place wasn't busy though! even though most of it was closed off there were a good few seats. What really amused me was one of the staff running around the different tables making sure the only food they have was from the bialinn and then reporting back to the manager.

Also the girls that were beside me said that they had bought there drinks in the su shop and she said that they needed to buy something from the bialinn or they would have to leave! Pretty hilarious

Padkir wrote: »
    Completely contradicting yourself when a few posts before you said that it was

Why are you now giving out that people go in there to sit around and have a gawk? Make up your mind.

I'm afraid your understanding has let you down once again son, read it again.
    The place wasn't busy though! even though most of it was closed off there were a good few seats. What really amused me was one of the staff running around the different tables making sure the only food they have was from the bialinn and then reporting back to the manager.

Also the girls that were beside me said that they had bought there drinks in the su shop and she said that they needed to buy something from the bialinn or they would have to leave! Pretty hilarious

Should have asked for her name and told her you'll be reporting her to the college. Not saying you should bother actually doing so, but for the snare!

• Advertisement

With the Bialann as well, did ye notice at a certain time in the evening, no matter how wedged it is, they just close off areas? Its thick, like I know they're trying to make less work for themselves in cleaning, but what's the point in having it there at all if you can't use it while the place is still busy? Don't like the place anyway anymore. The worst eatery on campus, IMHO.

That's hardly unusual eatery practice. If you were turned away because they had no spare seats not in those sections, then you'd be justified in complaining, but if it's just that you don't get to sit over on your own in some section, then making less work for themselves is surely the sensible thing to do. It's not like you're going to log on here, say, and say the canteen was wonderfully spacious and you got a table all to yourself.
    Though I'd agree with you, from the customer's point of view - I hate eating in crowded areas... But from a business point of view...

Also - what time in the evening are you referring to? And which days during the week?

As for not liking it anymore... did anyone ever? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

While on the topic of Bialinn, I hate the way the staff rarely rub down the tables.

They demand you clear your own table - I'd have no problem with this if they actually had signs up. But to be snapped at by staff when you didn't realise it was a 'Clean as you go' is frustrating.

The problem is when you clear your own table the staff don't attend to the table and there's bits of food/stains etc. on the table - its manky! If a table is dirty I purposely don't clear the table. I'm paying top prices for food, the least I expect is a clean table

Also - what time in the evening are you referring to? And which days during the week?

Ah well from my experience from around 4 o clock they start closing off areas. I think it's a bit stupid, considering it's still very busy at that time. Like I know a few times 3 of us failed to get a seat together because it was so busy, and still loads in getting dinner that hadn't been seated yet. And this was with all but the main area in front of the tills and a small bit beside Starbucks there, closed off.

As for the days of the week, I can't recall to be honest, but I'd imagine it would be similar Monday - Thursday.

Different companies - if the complaint was valid regarding the Centra grub, it would be just as valid for stuff from the SU shop.

I'm not certain as to the terms of the catering contract Campbell's have with the college, as in whether they're obliged to accommodate and clean up after students who don't avail of their services, but it's never really affected me anyway, as if I used a premises facilities I'd always feel obliged to purchase something from them. (Except, granted, that one time I had to pop into a pub for a leak...)

edit: To send in your complaints: http://www.campusdish.com/en-US/HE-IE/NUIG/ContactUs/ContactUs.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HotDogger

Clearing up after youself is more of a courtesy thing, so it's odd that the staff would be giving out to you over it. The place doesn't employ you to clean the place, it just sells you sh*tty food.

Most places in town that serve food have a constant film of salt, vinegar, and grease all over the place. It's called Irish mist.

Be careful what you wish for though. There's a bit of a learning curve to cleaning, and before you know it you'll have someone shooting supervalue all-purpose cleaner up yer arse while you're trying to eat a sandwhich.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭39steps

Sorta linked to this, a friend of mine in third Science said one day early in the Semester they had a guy "teaching" them who spent the lecture telling them how much he hated lecturing and he was only doing it becuse of the sponsorship for research :eek:!

Hey Reap a Rate,
    Don't put up with that crap. report that lecturer to president@nuigalway.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Probably the worst thing (or best thing?) they could have done during the renovation was put in white tables. They get filthy and you feel disgusted eating anything off them. I say "best thing" because it's useful for demonstrating just how disgusting the place is.

Who actually paid for the new Bialann? Was it Campbell Catering or NUI Galway itself?

I'd be 99% sure it was NUIG. Campbell's is just a catering company after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I'd be 99% sure it was NUIG. Campbell's is just a catering company after all...

Well in that case it would be an interesting argument for being able to eat whatever the hell we like in there.

Don't get me wrong, I see their arguments. They don't want to have to clean up after students who've bought their food elsewhere. But since they don't clean up after their own customers I don't think that's a fair argument :rolleyes:

Also, thanks for the Contact Us link. I've used it wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

39steps wrote: »
    Hey Reap a Rate,
    Don't put up with that crap. report that lecturer to president@nuigalway.ie

Feck all point in doing that as this guy has huge money making thing going on thru research in the college. They won't listen to some hurt feelings from some undergrads....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

HotDogger wrote: »
    Clearing up after youself is more of a courtesy thing, so it's odd that the staff would be giving out to you over it. The place doesn't employ you to clean the place

This.

Where else would you pay people for a job/service and then do it for them? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Is there not supposed to be signs saying this instead of the REALLY annoying staff intruding your lunch?!

There are signs around the place, mainly at the entrances.

Well in that case it would be an interesting argument for being able to eat whatever the hell we like in there.

Don't get me wrong, I see their arguments. They don't want to have to clean up after students who've bought their food elsewhere. But since they don't clean up after their own customers I don't think that's a fair argument :rolleyes:

Also, thanks for the Contact Us link. I've used it wisely.

Aye, I'd agree.
    Either it's viewed as "the college's" in which case students should be allowed to eat anything they like in there, or it's "campbell's" in which case they can't demand that people clear up after themselves. Or at least, that's how I'd see it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TEH REAL CDP

Studying in the UK now, but did my degree at NUI Galway. I really miss some of the craic there! Cool thread, funny to see some of the things I used to bitch about are still valid talking/bitching points!

Funny that folks are complaining about thar research orientated lecturer, to be fair - at least he was being honest with you. As opposed to being a shyte lecturer and having zero research credibility to back it up!

Its quite cool over here actually, they have pure research professorships where if you're really esteemed in the research side of things - you just run your lab and write grants (these posts could be counted on two hands with regards to Russell Group universities in the UK!) If you're great at teaching, you lecture. Simple as. If you're unlucky regarding both, you don't last long.

Is LiboCop still around? Funny to read about the same plebs making noise in the reading room. How one can concentrate in there is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Studying in the UK now, but did my degree at NUI Galway. I really miss some of the craic there! Cool thread, funny to see some of the things I used to bitch about are still valid talking/bitching points!

Funny that folks are complaining about thar research orientated lecturer, to be fair - at least he was being honest with you. As opposed to being a shyte lecturer and having zero research credibility to back it up!

Its quite cool over here actually, they have pure research professorships where if you're really esteemed in the research side of things - you just run your lab and write grants (these posts could be counted on two hands with regards to Russell Group universities in the UK!) If you're great at teaching, you lecture. Simple as. If you're unlucky regarding both, you don't last long.

Is LiboCop still around? Funny to read about the same plebs making noise in the reading room. How one can concentrate in there is beyond me!
    LiboCop the bastard!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TEH REAL CDP

LMAO! He's actually okay from what I remember, but probably the most reviled individual in that place!

I'd have hated the constant job of telling CP's/FTB girls to stfu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

Feck all point in doing that as this guy has huge money making thing going on thru research in the college. They won't listen to some hurt feelings from some undergrads....

Moreover, he wouldn't be the next step on the complaints ladder. Try talking to your head of department and contacting the SU. That's what they're there for after all, to represent student interests and issues. Sadly, that aspect seems to have been lost on the last several SU 'executives' ... case in point, the sports centre membership.

All the same, you should contact them so your complaint has more weight behind it with your HOD.

Who decided it was a good idea to have maintenance/construction going on just downstairs from the study area in the Cairnes building during the exams. It's very off-putting having stuff banging constantly, with drills and stuff going off every now and then too. To be fair, today is the first day there's been too much noise from it, but surely it would have been better if they left it until the exams are over!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Padkir wrote: »
    Who decided it was a good idea to have maintenance/construction going on just downstairs from the study area in the Cairnes building during the exams. It's very off-putting having stuff banging constantly, with drills and stuff going off every now and then too. To be fair, today is the first day there's been too much noise from it, but surely it would have been better if they left it until the exams are over!

Construction companies normally have deadlines to meet, or timeframes to work inside (x date to y date) and if they go over time, they lose significant amounts of money. The only reason there's not construction still going on beside the library is because McNamara went bust. little bit unreasonable to think everything else should stop because of exams going on.. plenty of other places to study too...

• Advertisement

Construction companies normally have deadlines to meet, or timeframes to work inside (x date to y date) and if they go over time, they lose significant amounts of money. The only reason there's not construction still going on beside the library is because McNamara went bust. little bit unreasonable to think everything else should stop because of exams going on.. plenty of other places to study too...

But this is IN the building, literally yards from a study area. If it was in the library there'd be uproar. And it echoes all over the building too! I'm not saying it's the construction company's fault, but the college should have extended the deadline to ensure they weren't doing it during exam week.

Advertisement