Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls V - To Be Direct Sequel To Oblivion

Options
  • 23-11-2010 3:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Or so Kotaku are reporting anyway. It sounds like development of the game is well advanced! :)
    According to a report on Eurogamer Denmark, Elder Scrolls developers Bethesda are already hard at work on a fifth episode in the storied role-playing series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Why don't they just hire an extra 500 developers to get it done? :pac:
    this will be the chronological sequel to what happened in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I'd be expecting that. You'd imagine that you'd get a few references about incidents and possibly meet a few people that were in TES IV. It doesn't really mean it would be set in the same location.
    "I can say it is on the existing platforms, which we're really happy with. You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game."

I really hope that they didn't/don't hold back too much on the PC version in favour the consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

OHHH I cant wait, I loved Oblivion!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

FINALLY!!!!! They must have been working on it for a few months now at least...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Chefburns wrote: »
    FINALLY!!!!! They must have been working on it for a few months now at least...

I would say a team has been working on it ever since Fallout 3 went into the final stages of its development.

Really u think that far back? I would have said from about half way through fallout new vagas!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Can't wait!!

But I have to agree with the first comment:
    Here's the thing. I loved Oblivion, I really did. I spent 300+ hours on it and played through all kinds of player mods and paid for every official DLC.

Morrowind was the better game.

There, I said it. I truly did enjoy Oblivion, but there was something very obvious missing from it. Maybe it was the repetitive story quest (kill this gate, now this one, now this one), or maybe the unchanging scenery (aside from the mountains). But Morrowind just... got to me the way Oblivion didn't. The fantastic story, the hugely varying landscapes (The entire city within trees and giant mushrooms versus the floating pavilions of Vivec), the ability to slay what really felt like a god as opposed to the generic daedra.

I could go on for ages about how every city was different, with one completely made out of dead strider husks (Gnisis) versus Balmora, the massive one you spent days working through the intrigue of. And everything surrounding the gloom and destruction of Red Mountain.

The varying types of factions (religions versus guilds versus dwemer etc etc etc) and the fantastically magical elements of the game (a floating prison of rock anchored above Vivec and an entire set of manses that had to be navigated by levitation - Sadrith Mora). My god, I must have sunk 500-1000+ hours into Morrowind simply because of how much effort clearly went into making me feel part of an entirely different world.

Something about how that game was done was simply magical, and while I felt that Oblivion was good, Morrowind was by far Bethesda's best work. In fact, I think I'm going to go dig up my old copy and play it soon.

Bethesda, if you really are working on TES V - please follow the style of Morrowind and not that of Oblivion. For the love of all that is holy, please.

(Also, remove quick travel, bring back striders, and get rid of the whole repetitive story line [gates]) Reply

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Really u think that far back? I would have said from about half way through fallout new vagas!

Given that Fallout: NV is meant to be the last game using that engine, then Elder Scroll 5 should be using a new engine. Development on this would take a long time.

Given that Fallout: NV is meant to be the last game using that engine, then Elder Scroll 5 should be using a new engine. Development on this would take a long time.
    a whole new engine??? =O hope they don't mess it up!!!

Not a whole new engine.
    Howard wouldn't be drawn on many details about the game, but said the technology was derived from the engine that powered Fallout 3, albeit with significant modifications.

"Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that," he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭BrerWolf

Just looked up the official site and there is no news about it on there....
    I reckon if we don't get an official update by monday then we can ignore this rumour as just another lie.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Monotype wrote: »
    I really hope that they didn't/don't hold back too much on the PC version in favour the consoles.

Modders will pick up the slack soon enough if the PC version isn't up to scratch.

TPD wrote: »
    Modders will pick up the slack soon enough if the PC version isn't up to scratch.

True, but the modders shouldn't be doing the job for the developers (although not everyone is going to be happy no matter what they do) and modders usually don't go to the same depth as to rewrite the engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

If they put vats into an elder scrolls game someone will have to die :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

If they put vats into an elder scrolls game someone will have to die :(

Egh, I hope Beth leave the Fallout stuff to Fallout . . . anything else would just feel cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

more voice actors please and change the levelling system
    i loved Oblivion and do hope they change the engine as Oblivion was ground breaking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

NERDGASM.

Nothing about Skyrim in there, was it not confirmed the next game would be set in Skyrim?

No, just rumous that it could be Skyrim or the Summerset Isles. This doesn't actually confirm location, so we don't know yet.

Monotype wrote: »
    No, just rumous that it could be Skyrim or the Summerset Isles. This doesn't actually confirm location, so we don't know yet.

Aye - that rumour arose due to the fact that Beth trade-marked the name Skyrim . . . but thats about the extent of the basis for that rumour.

What I wouldnt be surprised to see would be the game being set in a province, such as Skyrim, with the Empire under threat of collapse after the events of Oblivion. We have already heard of talks of uprisings in Skyrim against the Imperial forces in Oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭longwhitecross+

I hope for once people don't move around so utterly stiffly. The one thing thats stood out for me since Morrowind.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Obsidian developed NV, which would've left the devs at Bethesda plenty of time to focus on ESV.

• Advertisement

Anyone hoping for an announcement at the VGA's? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SemiMental

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRifj-2EEKs

Here is the trailer for Elder Scrolls V Skyrim!!
    It's out 11-11-2011, so just under a year away.
    No gameplay shown in the trailer, but I can't wait to play this, should be EPIC :D

FFS. Do they need to announce it so early? I'll have it on my mind for a whole year now! ;)

Their website must be getting a lot of traffic, it's soooo slow.

Right. Now I need to use that time to save for a new computer.

Via Beth's twitter . . .
    Seeing lots of speculation about #tesv game engine. It's brand new... and it's spectacular!

:)

NERDGASM.

Nothing about Skyrim in there, was it not confirmed the next game would be set in Skyrim?
    Here's hoping Elder Scrolls 5 is based in the Nordic continent (the name of which escapes me)!

elderscrollsv.jpg

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭longwhitecross+

Gonna be a loong wait till release, end next year..

New article for those interested, apparently a lot of details coming in January.
    "I hope everybody is surprised with how much stuff we're showing [in January]," Howard said, explaining the decision. "It's a lot. We wanted to compress the amount of time we talked about the game. It's still 11 months. It's a long time, but traditionally we're going on two years talking about a game. We start out very slow.

"We wanted to come out of the gate with a lot of stuff. So the fans will be excited."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-20-howard-were-in-our-groove-on-tesv

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

bethesda didnt develop new vegas so they have probably been working on skyrim full time since fallout 3 however id say they have had a team working away on the game since oblivion was released (small team anyway) as the elder scrolls is bethesda's bread and butter so to speak :D just like we all know rockstar have been working on the new gta for a good while now (even though we know nothing about it yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I don't mind the long wait to the release of Elder Scrolls V, because there's nothing worse than when they rush a game that needs more time to add some finishing touches to make it the best gaming experience it can be. Fallout NV suffered from this big time imo, the amount of bugs in it speaks for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

While some elements of the fallout games were good it just didn't have the same feeling or aspects of the Elder Scrolls games.

I hope they honestly do converge the best of Morrowind and Oblivion together!

Advertisement