Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't people brush their teeth with warm water?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I suppose for the same reason you wouldn't make a cup of cold tea.

ahem ..iced tea anyone !!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Don't most people leave the tap running while they brush their teeth?...hot water would result in a burnt mouth??? at least thats what happens to me when I use the downstairs bathroom and forget the taps are on opposite sides to the upstairs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

this is funny - just had this argument with the new gf last weekend. I never knew people used hot water to brush their teeth. I have when there was no cold tap and it tastes awful I think and you don't get the clean crisp feeling when finished that you do with cold water.

anyhow - the one thing that really annoyes me is people who run the tap while brushing! Like have any of you ever watched Captain Planet as a child!? Don't waste water!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Pookah wrote: »
    One study, referenced here, says the technique is more effective, and there are other studies saying toothpaste can be damaging, causing abrasion and gum erosion, not to mention toxicity.

How do the toothpaste companies cause halitosis?

Well I'll be.....a French guy a work with says he brushes with salt sometimes, I just thought he was weird*

*actually, he eats coffee granules dry, so he is a bit weird

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

pawrick wrote: »
    anyhow - the one thing that really annoyes me is people who run the tap while brushing! Like have any of you ever watched Captain Planet as a child!? Don't waste water!!!! :)

Dont forget about barney ' never let the water run' song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDWtCSiAjnM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ginger Nut

Prefer cold water myself - not sure about the "Zombie " birds in the Attic!!! Wonder is that why so many people are pure nuts????:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Well I'll be.....a French guy a work with says he brushes with salt sometimes, I just thought he was weird*

*actually, he eats coffee granules dry, so he is a bit weird

Brushing with warm water and salt is recommended for cancer patients who are receiving treatment, also brushing with warm water is recommended for people with sensitive teeth and gingivitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ginger Nut

Brushing with warm water and salt is recommended for cancer patients who are receiving treatment, also brushing with warm water is recommended for people with sensitive teeth and gingivitis.

Brush with bread soda to make them white - especially if you smoke or drink black tea/coffee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

When I was a kid we used take turns in the bath (six of us), it was always freezing when it was my turn. Then mam would wash our clothes in the same water. We were weird as f**k, but we were happy (-ish).

:eek::eek: Ewww!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Whatever temperature the tap water is when I turn it on is what I will use to wash my teeth, sure when your abroad you can use the tap water to brush your teeth just once you don't swallow the water so if its hot water then just take it like a man :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I usually use hot water because i have sensetive teeth. They just don't feel as clean and fresh as they do using cold water though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Do you swallow toothpaste mixed with water and saliva, i don't, i don't swallow any water that i brush my teeth with, i spit it out.
    It's a great anti-acid. When I run out of Rennie, just get a little bit of toothpaste, a small mouthful of water, swish it around it foam it up and down the hatch.
    Relieves it for hours, so it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

biko wrote: »
    They don't?
    You do?

I haven't, but might.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Hot water comes from the tank in the attic. That's where the dead pigeons live.

Ick.

So does the cold water. Unless you are using the cold water tap in the kitchen.

Brushing with warm water is recommended for people with sensitive teeth and gingivitis.

thats good to know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

A Poem by: Donal Og O Baelach

When I was a kid we used take turns in the bath (six of us),
    it was always freezing when it was my turn.
    Then mam would wash our clothes in the same water.
    We were weird as f**k,
    but we were happy (-ish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I do all in the shower, brush teeth, shave, have a wash have a sheet so makes sense why I use hot water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Just to be awkward, I do both .. I brush with warm water and rinse with cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Wimps. I use a wire brush, grit & boiling water to brush my teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

That's what got this country into trouble in the first place, them an' their hi-falutin' ways, warm water to brush your teeth....... indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Could you live with the shame :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

To those who brush with warm water, just take a trip in to the attic and look in to the tank its coming from. You'll have hours of amusement (or horror) counting the dead spiders, insects and other weird **** which somehow found its way in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Tepid bottled water is the best for cleaning ones teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Hot water comes from the tank in the attic. That's where the dead pigeons live.

Ick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

KerranJast wrote: »
    The bigger problem with a bath is you're stewing in your own filth :D Power shower ftw.

always hear this. never understood it is having a good hot bath not more thorough? all crevasses covered, then rinse off with the showerhead then an invigorating cold bath.. n whats the purpose of this radox "muscle soak" for i ask? surely not a quick fix, a downward rinse

i think its you who has never had a proper wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

DarkJager wrote: »
    To those who brush with warm water, just take a trip in to the attic and look in to the tank its coming from. You'll have hours of amusement (or horror) counting the dead spiders, insects and other weird **** which somehow found its way in there.

And where do you think the cold water in the bathroom comes from?? 99% of houses only have mains water in the kitchen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Because hot water has more Fluoride

FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I brush my teeth with toothpaste, not water - but I do rinse with hot water if it's available. You folks worried about water being less than perfectly pure, congratulations: you're the perfect target market for bottled water companies. We're not that delicate. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement