Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't people brush their teeth with warm water?

Options
  • 23-11-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Seriously?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why would you?

• Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Because they know that toothpaste works better ;):P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Dental Plan

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Because warm water tastes disturbingly icky....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I suppose for the same reason you wouldn't make a cup of cold tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Because it's not necessary and people tend to reserve their hot water? I would only use the hot when it's needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

koth wrote: »
    Because they know that toothpaste works better ;):P

Dry brushing works best, but the toothpaste companies don't want you knowing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I know some people that do.

Me, I find the cold to be more refreshing but then again I'm not a big fan of warm drinks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hot water comes from the tank in the attic. That's where the dead pigeons live.

Ick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I use hot water as it softens the bristles, if i use cold water the brush is really hard and cuts my gums. No I'm not buying a soft headed toothbrush, i prefer using hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Cold water is fresh and clean. You really shouldn't be putting water from the hot water tank which is slowly stagnating for hours or days at a time, near your mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

KerranJast wrote: »
    Cold water is fresh and clean. You really shouldn't be putting water from the hot water tank which is slowly stagnating for hours or days at a time, near your mouth.

So, by your reasoning, people (used to/still) bathe in stagnating water. It's a wonder we're all still alive! My word!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Seriously?
    They don't?
    You do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

chin_grin wrote: »
    So, by your reasoning, people (used to/still) bathe in stagnating water. It's a wonder we're all still alive! My word!
    The bigger problem with a bath is you're stewing in your own filth :D Power shower ftw.

chin_grin wrote: »

Yeah but you don't swallow your bath water, do you? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

When I was a kid we used take turns in the bath (six of us), it was always freezing when it was my turn. Then mam would wash our clothes in the same water. We were weird as f**k, but we were happy (-ish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Pookah wrote: »
    Dry brushing works best, but the toothpaste companies don't want you knowing that.

Is that true?

I know that mouth wash was invented by the toothpaste companies to fight halitosis, which, funnily enough, is also an invention of the toothpaste companies.

But is brushing your teeth with no paste really just as effective?

syklops wrote: »
    I know that mouth wash was invented by the toothpaste companies to fight halitosis, which, funnily enough, is also an invention of the toothpaste companies.

I wish somebody had told that to old stinky mouth O'Brien who used to be the head of HR in my office.

He certainly fell hook, line and sinker for their halitosis marketing scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Ick.

Well most people's houses are plumbed so that the cold water and hot water taps in the bathroom come from the same tank in the attic, the only difference being that the hot water took a detour through the water heating system and hot water tanks.....

Generally the cold tap on the likes of a kitchen sink is about the only place where the water comes direct from the supply.

cython wrote: »
    Well most people's houses are plumbed so that the cold water and hot water taps in the bathroom come from the same tank in the attic, the only difference being that the hot water took a detour through the water heating system and hot water tanks.....

Generally the cold tap on the likes of a kitchen sink is about the only place where the water comes direct from the supply.

Well that put me and my dead pigeon theory in my place. :o

• Advertisement

Yeah but you don't swallow your bath water, do you? :eek:

Do you swallow toothpaste mixed with water and saliva, i don't, i don't swallow any water that i brush my teeth with, i spit it out.

Also who how many of us have swallowed swimming pool water or sea water contaminated with pee (or anything else)?????

Could be worse i could be eating a kangaroo anus or a crocodile penis!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

^^^^^^^ What he said.

Most people brush their teeth upstairs so the hot and cold tap both come from the attic tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I feel fresher when it's cold water hot water in my mouth feels rotten, I use it to wash myself and my hair that's it :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I prefer using warm water to brush my teeth. It's cosier. I suspect it may be bad for me, but I have super teeth genes so I'm not worried.

Do you swallow toothpaste mixed with water and saliva, i don't, i don't swallow any water that i brush my teeth with, i spit it out.

Ah you swallow a bit. You just don't know it.

Could be worse i could be eating a kangaroo anus or a crocodile penis!

Do let us know where you lunch. It sound exotic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

syklops wrote: »
    Is that true?

But is brushing your teeth with no paste really just as effective?

One study, referenced here, says the technique is more effective, and there are other studies saying toothpaste can be damaging, causing abrasion and gum erosion, not to mention toxicity.

How do the toothpaste companies cause halitosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Brushing with hot water damages your enamel.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

Pookah wrote: »

here here !!! well said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Ick.

Zombie pigeons!!! :eek:

• Advertisement

Ah you swallow a bit. You just don't know it.

Just keep telling your self that, if it makes you feel better.
    she doesn't swallow, she spits it over the side of the bed

Advertisement