Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Korea Shells South, South Retaliates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

........and an end for this thread.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056098302

Please search first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

scanned the first page of AH, wast there presumed it would be big news ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Déjà Wu.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Merge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Fackin' Awec Bawldwin!!

North Korea saying the South fired first according to Sky News. Such knackers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

India is also lining up almost 40,000 troops on their border against China. I call double team shenanigans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You're right there, plus the North Koreans are fanatics. Completely brain washed and devoted to Kim Jong.

Sounds like your typical Fianna Failers.
    The only way to approach a war with North Korea is Hiroshima style

Can we press the nuclear button with FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

newmug wrote: »
    Is this the start of WW3? NK is chinas puppet

China has about as much control over North Korea as Ash had of his right hand in Evil Dead II.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Lirange wrote: »
    China has about as much control over North Korea as Ash had of his right hand in Evil Dead II.
    Well I know pikachu wouldn;t go into his pokéball and all. But it's hardly fair to call him a dead hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Well there's a surprise! :rolleyes:
    Would anyone with a decent working sane brain really believe that?

....Aaa... NO!

North Korea - still a land led by an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

why is china so interested in nk? china dont need a war to take over the world, their economy is gonna do that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

That's it, sending my mam over any time my bro and I kicked off with "he started it first" and few good clatters and no TV normally shut us up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This is serious, just look at the photos on the OPs link!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Has the potential to be serious but i doubt it'll lead to anything...
    All the news stations will soon be back on the irish situation....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Kim is just rattling his sabre as he transfers power to his soon, keeping the populace to believe they need him and he has great power, that is all it is. If something does come of this I will be amazed. China will drop support for NK as soon as they become a liability. The last thing they want is a war with the West. They are assuming the role like Russia are to Iran or America to Israel. They are just a means to an end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Kim is just rattling his sabre as he transfers power to his soon, keeping the populace to believe they need him and he has great power, that is all it is. If something does come of this I will be amazed. China will drop support for NK as soon as they become a liability. The last thing they want is a war with the West. They are assuming the role like Russia are to Iran or America to Israel. They are just a means to an end.
    They [China] could even go one step further and invade NK themselves, if they are too concerned about NK stirring things up on their doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

dlofnep wrote: »
    Not going to happen mon frere!

Not as plain cut as that Im afraid, north korea as an entity is as stable as me with a hangover. It made the news recently that north koreas nuclear capabilities are far in advance of what was once thought!

http://www.newsy.com/videos/advanced-nuclear-facility-discovered-in-north-korea/

So they fired 200shells but only killed 2 people? Man - bad aim!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

emo72 wrote: »
    why is china so interested in nk? china dont need a war to take over the world, their economy is gonna do that anyway.
    They saved NK's arse during the Korean war and both being nominally Communist have an idealogical and historical allegiance. China also sees NK as a buffer zone, preventing a US ally being right next door to them in case of war.

I'm sure China are currently despairing over the carry on of NK but they cannot say anything publicly and risk destabilising the region. If things turn ugly I'm not sure China will back lil' Kim and will probably drop him in a second hoping to stay out of any conflict with the West, not because they are afraid of defeat but because it'll cost them too much power and influence on the world stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

They saved NK's arse during the Korean war and both being nominally Communist have an idealogical and historical allegiance. China also sees NK as a buffer zone, preventing a US ally being right next door to them in case of war.

I'm sure China are currently despairing over the carry on of NK but they cannot say anything publicly and risk destabilising the region. If things turn ugly I'm not sure China will back lil' Kim and will probably drop him in a second hoping to stay out of any conflict with the West, not because they are afraid of defeat but because it'll cost them too much power and influence on the world stage.

I agree with you. I doubt China would back Kimmy if push came to shove. Their economy relies on the west to prosper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Seems like a crazy move, I wonder if Kim Jong is ill?

His rattling should have consequences, particularly when he attacks and kills people from another country unprovoked during a cease fire. What will be done by the U.N? nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Wompa1 wrote: »
    His rattling should have consequences, particularly when he attacks and kills people from another country unprovoked during a cease fire. What will be done by the U.N? nothing...

They are still technically at war.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Turns out his son is very closely linked to the attack.

Interesting reading here: http://www.smh.com.au/world/north-korean-dictatorinwaiting-linked-to-deadly-artillery-attack-20101123-185p1.html

He done it to "deliberately destabilising the environment in order to mobilise the military and consolidate his power." Kim Jong-un will be very similar to his father I believe.

With the recent Cheonan incident and now this, an artilery strike, the stakes seem to be increasing. It's a frightening development.
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Seems like a crazy move, I wonder if Kim Jong is ill?

Will he's older now and possibly ill but North Korea will never admit it. The son is slowly but surely getting the transfer of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Turns out his son is very closely linked to the attack.

Interesting reading here: http://www.smh.com.au/world/north-korean-dictatorinwaiting-linked-to-deadly-artillery-attack-20101123-185p1.html

He done it to "deliberately destabilising the environment in order to mobilise the military and consolidate his power." Kim Jong-un will be very similar to his father I believe.

With the recent Cheonan incident and now this, an artilery strike, the stakes seem to be increasing. It's a frightening development.

Will he's older now and possibly ill but North Korea will never admit it. The son is slowly but surely getting the transfer of power.

Or Daddy did it to consolidate his son's power.

We won't get to to see the real Junior until Dad has passed on.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    They are still technically at war.

yes, it's a cease fire. The war didn't end...doesn't mean it should be tolerated...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

There's not much going on. A fighter jet flew over my school earlier on, that's about it.

I live on an island way down in the south west but it's a big target for the norkies as it has oil off the coast and two of their biggest industrial shipyards are on the island so if they hit that they could cause a crap load of financial trouble to the country.

We have an emergency siren that blasts off in the city on the 15th of every month for a drill when the place comes to a standstill. I don't think I'm going to hear again until the 15th of December tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

oh and by the way, have a look at the map of where the trouble took place.

The island (technically south korean) is closer to the norkies than it is to the south. The south were doing military drills in the sea using live rounds and had been warned by the norkies to stop it. (they were less than about 15-20k off the norkie coast)

They didn't stop beacuse they tried to intimidate them and the norkies opened fire like the idiots they are.

Advertisement