Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel Of Hype 4...8/1/11

Options
  • 23-11-2010 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

No, that's not a typo, the next WoH won't be till next year. As it stands, the next Wheel would be on Saturday the 11th, a lil too close to crunch time for me personally to toss this together, and a just a tiny bit on the knife edge for Christmas for those up North considering a trip down...also, I'm hoping that by delaying by a month we might be able to pick up a larger number of people, and maybe some setups for Exchange if we're lucky (that one's on the far outside chance though) after the 8 people we had last time (as hype as it was).

Also, I'm curious as to a rule change, regarding Grand Finals; We've now seen a BB final with a 3/5 set, a 2/3 set, and an Extra Life (the CxC games) set. I was wondering which final people think is more hype. For those wondering;
    Best 3 of 5; WoH 1 and 2 ran these sets. These are pretty exhaustive sets coming out of losers, but can make for a nice set of fights, with strategic change ups and a bigger margin of error. The down side is the length of the finals can stretch on...
    Best 2 of 3; Inferno rules, and WoH3 used this. Quicker, more intense fights, over in a much shorter time, even with resets. Which can be good or bad, since a lot of BB matches CAN be over faster than SF matches, and generally are. Though you can still get timeout wins and pretty lengthy finals.
    Extra life; CxC BB rules (or Cannes Rules). Essentially a best 2 of 3, but the Winner's bracket player needs to win 2 best 2 of 3s and the loser bracket player needs 3 best 2 of 3s. More leeway to both people, but the sets tend to be pretty intense still.

What should the Whell Of Hype Grand Final be...? 16 votes

Keep it Classical! (3 of 5)
    0% 0 votes
    Do it Better! Make it Faster! (2 of 3)
    62% 10 votes
    1-up on all of them! (Extra Life)
    31% 5 votes
    I have a better idea...! (And here it is...)
    6% 1 vote
    I think you should change more than just the final set...
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

3/5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I thought the whole extra life thing was just a side effect of how double elim works - the player from winners bracket is obviously undefeated until this point and you have to lose twice to be eliminated so it makes sense in context.

Wasn't the final for WoH2 a 3/5 with a reset?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

3/5 with a reset between two equally skilled players is just so loooooonnnng.

When the video is 1.2GB in size, it's going on a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I thought the whole extra life thing was just a side effect of how double elim works - the player from winners bracket is obviously undefeated until this point and you have to lose twice to be eliminated so it makes sense in context.

* Wasn't the final for WoH2 a 3/5 with a reset?
    It was, Chuey vs Xinkai.
    Extra-lifeing is just that the loser's bracket finalist needs to win 3, not 2, and the winner's finalist needs 2 not 3. In normal double elim, the winner's bracket finalist needs only 1 win, since that's the second loss to the loser's bracket finalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Hopefully I'll have had my fan edition of CS for a while by the time WOH 4 rolls around, and I'll have put enough time in to training mode/fightstick practice to be more confident in my participation.

Hopefully I'll have had my fan edition of CS for a while by the time WOH 4 rolls around, and I'll have put enough time in to training mode/fightstick practice to be more confident in my participation.

Same, should be plenty of time to unlock Mu and hit the lab.

Quite looking forward to it, hopefully I can surprise a few people. :cool:

EDIT: Just thinking about it, CSII will probably get released between now and then, but only for ps3 or something. Happens every time. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

2 days before my exams. I wont be going to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

GorySnake wrote: »
    2 days before my exams. I wont be going to this.

it's only 1 day gory it won't effect it that much lol

also i prefer 3/5 it just seem right to me ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Gory just doesn't want to go cause he has no resets.

I on the other will be there with resets (that's right resets, not dropped combos at all, oh no sir) all day long.

• Advertisement

Jesus, what's with the BB community and the constant 45-45-10 ing on our polls...?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Voa wrote: »
    Jesus, what's with the BB community and the constant 45-45-10 ing on our polls...?

just go with 3 out of 5 the classical way, you know you want to ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Best bet is to just stick with whatever is running throughout the rest of the bracket.

Orim wrote: »
    Gory just doesn't want to go cause he has no resets.

I on the other will be there with resets (that's right resets, not dropped combos at all, oh no sir) all day long.

You have taught me well, now rep that Arakune.

Personally, I think the Grand Finals of a tournament should be 3 out of 5. 2 out of 3 seems a bit short for the GRAND Finals, and extra life is silly.

Also, Wheel is mispelt in the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Finally cranked out my copy of CS yesterday so I'll get my Tao in shape for this tourney. Meat buns as prizes please.

Sairus wrote: »
    Meat buns as prizes please.

Like Boobie Lady's meat buns? :3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Tsukiko_chan

Sairus wrote: »
    Finally cranked out my copy of CS yesterday so I'll get my Tao in shape for this tourney. Meat buns as prizes please.

oouu, another tao player! (or is this the other tao from woh1?) sweet! I will prob be returning to my Taokaka more often now. I still like playing Makoto but I need to refine my Tao more for those matches that I have to play her (like against joe). I've almoooooooost got her taunt loop down! I can manage 3 iterations now easily before it breaks, but i've learned some more, and better, combos with her so expect an even different tao for me when i come down! meow!

I'll vote soon, don't have the time for deep thought atm :3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

oouu, another tao player! (or is this the other tao from woh1?)

That was Redman350 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Like Boobie Lady's meat buns? :3
    ec1b35321e002358ef8f88a5e44963319661b3a2.jpg?536313

So yeah, this is totally two weeks away... who's coming up for it:D

• Advertisement

Thinking about going again, must keep my Top 8 spot in all games.

Oh yeah, just to have it out there;

The tournament will be held the XGC, in Dublin, on the 8th of January. The entry to the tournament will be €5, along with a €5 charge for renting consoles on the day.For those only attending for the tournament and not the casual play, a lower rate may be allowed on the day, as we will still need to cover rental costs. For those only attending casual play, there will be no tournament charge.
    Tournament registration will open at 12:00 in the centre, and will close at tournament start (1:30-2). Casual play after wards will run as long as people are happy to play, both before and after the tournament.
    People who arrive after the tournament starts are not guaranteed a place in the tournament but we will try to accommodate them if possible.

Tournament Rules and Format.

Format is as follows; Group rounds followed by a double elimination tournament. Each match will consist of 3 games with each game beings best of 3 rounds. The third game of a match in the group stages will only be played in the event of a tie after the second set. If one player wins the first 2 games the third game is not played. For the grand final, the matches will be best of 5 (losers final will still be best of 3).

1. All characters are selectable. This includes available DLC characters from the American PSN.

2. Custom controllers and button configuration is allowed.

3. Turbo is banned. Anyone who is caught using this feature will be disqualified.

4. Players can change characters in each round of the double elimination phase. However once a match has started they may only change characters in a match after loosing a set. The winner of the first set must stick to his character he started the set with and may only change if he looses the second set, in which case the winner of the second set must then stick to the character he used in the second set.

5. Double Blind select available in the event of people being concerned about counter picking. An admin will assist with this if required.

6. Rock, paper, scissors is used in the event of people being unable to agree on which side they want to sit on.

7. In the event of a player pausing a game during a round or his stick/pad fails during a round, he forfeits the round unless both players agree to carry on. If there is a dispute an admin will resolve the dispute.

8. In the event of a game ending in a draw, the game will scrapped and not counted towards the results. It will then be replayed. (Though it will be pretty damn hype.)

9. Players who are overly disruptive during a competition or who are distracting other players can be removed from the tournament at the discretion of the tournament admins.

10. No white track suits please.

11. All glory to the hype SCIENCE dog.

The prize pot for the tournament will be split 35/20/10 (depending on numbers who attend. This is roughly for an 18 man tournament, the prize will go up if there are more in attendance and lowered if there are less.)
    All money remaining the prize pot will go towards the community fund (speaking of, Dreddy, next time you see me remind me that I owe you 10 quid from the last WoH for the fund.)

The seeds are as follows from the prior tournaments (not including the CxC rankings, as I never did get them:p);
    1: Joe
    2: Holly
    3: Jarvy1, Ramza
    5: Voa
    6: Xinkai
    7: Gory
    8: Fletcher, QMM, Doom
    11: Scavenger XIII, Red, Yreval
    14: Onion, Kiki, Orim

Also, this may be the time when we start to have decay in the tournament rankings (I'll put up a poll after this tournament to see how people feel with regards it being the last 3 tournamnets, last 6 tournaments or the last 3 attended tournaments.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Give it to Orim Voa, I'll be passing on the money I have to him as well in order to recoup the costs of the monitors he bought.

Good luck with the tournament anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Can't remember if I said this last time, but just in case someone thinks I'm breaking the Turbo button rule, my stick is weird in that random turbo and Xbox lights come on sometimes when it's plugged in to a PS3. I don't think it's even possible to switch on turbo for PS3 the way it's modded anyway! :)

Between Sairus's bringing the trading cards, and me being invited to a bday party in the evening nearby, I am putting myself down as a definite attendee of this.

Won't have a PS3 stick though, will that be a problem?

Between Sairus's bringing the trading cards, and me being invited to a bday party in the evening nearby, I am putting myself down as a definite attendee of this.

Won't have a PS3 stick though, will that be a problem?

Joe has my spare emergency PS3 TE so it shouldn't be.

Joe has my spare emergency PS3 TE so it shouldn't be.

Haha, "In case of HYPE, break glass"?

Cheers Doom!

Haha, "In case of HYPE, break glass"?

Cheers Doom!

There are few problems the doomstick can't solve :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

oouu, another tao player!
    I've almoooooooost got her taunt loop down! I can manage 3 iterations now easily before it breaks, but i've learned some more, and better, combos with her so expect an even different tao for me when i come down! meow!

My Tao skills extend to the point that I know all her specials and that's about it :P
    Haven't had no time to learn CS properly over Christmas, so be prepared for some hillarious losses from me :D

Advertisement