Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Book V Good old fashioned book

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I love books, and have shelves full of them. Then I got a Kindle. I would never buy a -hard copy- book again, unless it's a picture/ graphic type book.
    In the same way that since I got an iPod I would not buy a CD unless I had to.
    I will not be throwing out my book collection anymore than I would not throw out my vinyl collection.
    But, for me, the Kindle is perfect for all reading situations that I would encounter. It's only a matter of time before someone markets a spray can of "old book" smell. A good spray at the Kindle and job done :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    I love books, and have shelves full of them. Then I got a Kindle. I would never buy a -hard copy- book again, unless it's a picture/ graphic type book.
    In the same way that since I got an iPod I would not buy a CD unless I had to.
    I will not be throwing out my book collection anymore than I would not throw out my vinyl collection.
    But, for me, the Kindle is perfect for all reading situations that I would encounter. It's only a matter of time before someone markets a spray can of "old book" smell. A good spray at the Kindle and job done :-)

Someone is going to have to come up with an alternative to the expression ''page turner'' :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I love the idea of having shelves of books at home and just leafing through them now and then to pick up a title to read. But I have to draw the line somewhere, there's only so much space the house has. I will admit to having been a bit of a skeptic about ebooks but I have come to realise that it's not dumbing down, in fact it's the opposite.

And if it encourages more people to read, especially those of the younger generation, then it can only be a good thing.

Someone earlier mentioned the whole mp3/vinyl thing. I used to buy lots and lots of vinyl and really love it. I now download quite a lot of stuff but still buy vinyl and cds. It's all about co-existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Giselle wrote: »
    Someone is going to have to come up with an alternative to the expression ''page turner'' :).
    Not really, you turn the pages in the same way on an ebook - drag your finger to flick on to the next page.

And why are you all smelling your books?

Surprised no-one has mentioned the piracy angle either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I borrowed the latest generation sony reader with a touch screen, but wasn't keen about it, got a new Kindle 3, and it's just brilliant.

I have a house full of books, I love my books, but to be honest, while they make an interesting and pretty way of covering walls, I rarely lend them and probably will never again pick up 99% of them.

I'm really enjoying reading on the Kindle, I've only had it a couple of weeks, but as a lifetime reader (100+ books a year for many many years) as much as I like the feel and smell of a paper book (or even the strange but curiously pleasant smell from a 2nd hand book when the last reader was a smoker) I'm utterly convinced by the reading experience on the Kindle.

Add to this the icing on the cake is buying books instantly is now possible - a book can appear magically on it with no wires in a few seconds anywhere in the world

• Advertisement
Advertisement