Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Book V Good old fashioned book

Options
  • 23-11-2010 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi All

I love reading one of my main hobbies.

Just wondering what all you book lovers thought of the new E-Book?
    Would you prefer to still just pick up the book itself and read it or download it onto the E-Book.

I think I would prefer to still go out and buy the book and flick the pages. I know an E-book would be much handier for anyone that travels alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Books are prettier and smell nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DonOcelot

I just love the touch and feel of a good old fashioned book.
    Personally i wouldn't have any interest in an e-book, but as long as it doesn't completely replace books, then great, they offer a very useful service to some people and variety to the method of reading in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

I'll have a Kindle waiting for me under the tree next month, looking forward to giving it a go.

For which is better, I think it'll be similar to the divide between digital and film photography. There will always be something special about the actual physical object but for most things the digital version will be handier.

I'll always have my book collection, nerdy as it is, but I can see myself in the future only buying the physical books I really like after reading/discovering them as ebooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

E-books all the way I'm afraid! I have had the Sony E-reader for about 18 months now and I would never go back to buying books. I like to read on my lunch so it's so handy to always have my book in my handbag. I live in a small house, so storing books was becoming a real problem. I don't mind giving away certain books, but there are certain favourites that I just couldn't give away, so no problem when you have an e-book. When I go away for a fortnight, I practically used to use up my luggage allowance on books alone! Not anymore!

I still love going into book stores and having a good root around, the only difference is that now I go home and download it instead of buying it there and then.

I don't understand the argument about a paper book feeling better... what do you people be doing to your books! An e-book is light and portable, fantastic when you're reading a weighty tome... no more tired arms in bed!

I think it's like when cd's replaced vinyl/tapes or mp3's replaced cd's, people at the time swore that they liked the old way better. I'd bet 99.99% of those people use mp3's as there main source of music now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

ncmc wrote: »
    I don't understand the argument about a paper book feeling better... what do you people be doing to your books! An e-book is light and portable, fantastic when you're reading a weighty tome... no more tired arms in bed!

The texture of the paper, the weight, the smell of the ink [nothing bets new book smell, it's why I keep buying books rather then going to the library] and the interaction of turning the page rather then just pushing a button. I think e-readers are great and certainly have a place but it wouldn't hold the same enjoyment for me as reading a physical book.

I think it's like when cd's replaced vinyl/tapes or mp3's replaced cd's, people at the time swore that they liked the old way better. I'd bet 99.99% of those people use mp3's as there main source of music now!

Yet there is still a huge market for vinyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DonOcelot

E-books all the way I'm afraid! I have had the Sony E-reader for about 18 months now and I would never go back to buying books. I like to read on my lunch so it's so handy to always have my book in my handbag. I live in a small house, so storing books was becoming a real problem. I don't mind giving away certain books, but there are certain favourites that I just couldn't give away, so no problem when you have an e-book. When I go away for a fortnight, I practically used to use up my luggage allowance on books alone! Not anymore!

I still love going into book stores and having a good root around, the only difference is that now I go home and download it instead of buying it there and then.

You pretty much summed up the usefulness of the e-book.
    Its like iompair said with the camera's, its just that we are so used to normal books. When i say the feel of a book i dont actually mean i sit around stroking it or anything, of course, rather i mean the process of holding the book, flicking trough the pages etc... its what we have done for years. So for some people, like me, it just doesnt feel right reading an e-book.
    But of course for some people, like yourself, its fine and turns out to be a huge advantage over books.

Also when you say storing books was a problem, which it can be, but i love having a huge collection of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I have thought about getting an e-book for the last year.But came to the conclusion that its not for me. Agree with whats already been said about the physical interaction with books.
    In any case between ipods, ds, psp,laptop ,cameras,mobiles etc,etc. I seem to spend half my life charging things.I don't need another one to add to the list.LOL they always go dead when I need them.
    Also fed up looking at screens day and night ,paper books make a nice change.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

I don't like the idea of e-books. I just think that between sitting in front of a computer in an office all day, then using a laptop/watching tv at home I'd be spending enough time looking at a screen without reading a book off one too. Not for me.

Can I just add, to those worried about looking at a screen, they are specially designed to mimic the look of paper, so it isn't like looking at a screen. They aren't back lit either, so they aren't tiring on the eyes.

Oh and the charge lasts about 2 weeks! (No i'm not on commission :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I agree, something like the kindle would be perfect for a school/colleges student or person who needs a large amount of quick info pdf files and the like, and i am sure it is equally perfect for reading books, but i would love to hang on to the tradtition of printing books for a while longer

It is a great feeling browsing a physical book shop, and leafing through a few books before you choose one or more , and then taking it home and the excitement of reading the book for the first time, and when having finished, knowing where it is shelved in a particular space,dog ears and all.It is almost a part of you, a memory of the time when you first read that particular book. You can't get that when you download a file to a functional device

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can I just add, to those worried about looking at a screen, they are specially designed to mimic the look of paper, so it isn't like looking at a screen. They aren't back lit either, so they aren't tiring on the eyes.

Absolutely - there's no point in comparing a computer screen and an eBook Reader. They're very different experiences.

Books are all about the actual content for me, so it's eBooks all the way. Even if I didn't travel a good bit, I'd still prefer one I think. That said, I do tend to be an early adopter when it comes to technology so I can understand why some people are more hesitant.
    ztoical wrote:
    Yet there is still a huge market for vinyl.

I know you didn't make the comparison, but it's not a valid one for me. If vinyl sounded exactly the same as any other format, then there probably wouldn't be the same demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I love the idea of Ebook readers and their practicality when travelling but I would always have a preference for the paper book. The smell, the texture and to be honest, their physical appearance on the bookshelves in the house is very appealing.

When visitors come to my house they look through the bookshelves, picking one off the shelf, examining the cover and generally admire the books while browsing. That just isn't the same with an ebook reader.

Again though, an ebook reader would be fantastic for travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Number 5

A friend of mine got a kindle a few weeks ago. I was looking at it last night and I think I might put one on my christmas wish list..... in saying that though as one poster said earlier, I would still go out and buy books, as in the ones I really enjoyed reading.
    Watch this space............ will see if there is one under the three next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

As others have said the smell of a book, there is something about it. I love going to libraries as they are so silent, each book has it's charm whether it be new or have it's quirks. (graffiti or torn pages)

I like turning the pages, I love getting lost in a book, this is something you can't get with an e reader. I'd go mad if at an exciting part the whole thing would shut off. I much prefer having something nice underhand, something soft not something hard, cold and electronic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I love getting lost in a book, this is something you can't get with an e reader.

What do you mean by that? :confused:

Both, loosing your page and frantically searching for it and mentally getting "into" the book, I couldn't read a book on an e reader as my eyes would hurt! It makes sense to me! :) :P

If you mean you'll actually get sore eyes - it's not like a computer screen. There is no refreshing every x milliseconds like on a computer. It draws the words once to the screen and that's it. I need reading glasses for computers, but never for my eReader. I really find it's like reading from paper.

I do kind of get why people like the physical aspect of a book - but surely the actual content is the most important aspect. Not being able to get into a book because it's not on paper makes absolutely no sense to me.

I'm gonna go into town tomorrow and have a proper look at one of these things. Just from a quick glance it reminds me of a little computer, and my eyes get tired enough from reading all the forums I post on!!!

My brother wanted me to get one for travelling as I do love reading (although I go through some literary dry spells) and books would be too bulky. But, I was skeptical! You might turn me yet Eoin!

Just from a quick glance it reminds me of a little computer, and my eyes get tired enough from reading all the forums I post on!!!

Trust me, it is nothing like looking at a computer screen, it's not lit for one thing. It is designed to mimic the print of a book, I have read mine for hours and not had a hint of sore eyes. And I would get tired eyes from looking at a computer screen. I think once you see one in action, you will be converted!

Don't get me wrong, I still do read the odd book, I especially like photo books which I wouldn't get for my e-reader.

• Advertisement

Hmm...I will have a look the next time I get a chance. I would save me an awful lot of space in my room. Loads of books on the windowsill and on the floor! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Never wanted an e-reader.
    Like other posters I love the smell and feel of books. Would normally read at least 2 books per week.
    My husband persuaded me and bought one for my birthday a year and a half ago. The first book I read was Wuthering Heights. Had not read this before and got so into it I ended up trying to turn the page the way I would with a paper book. I just forgot it wasn't 'real'.
    While I still read paper books I read more on the e-reader because I take it everywhere.

I suppose I get so absorbed in what I am reading i feel like I'm in the book anyway so the physical world retreats and I don't notice what I'm reading from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

A lot of the people speaking against ebook readers have not actually used them.
    They just don´t like the idea.

I travel a lot with work (200-300 hours per year), and the nook is an absolute lifesaver for me.
    There are too many reasons to list why the nook is superior to physical books.
    I do "get" the point about how books smell and feel in your hands.
    But really, the book is supposed to be about its content, not the delivery mechanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

There's nothing like a good real book to read when chilling at home, I love filling my little book shelf with stories they look great when I see them all. I will never stop buying books ever I love them too much but I do love the idea of the e-reader it's so handy when travelling! Long bus/car rides can be so boring and when you can't/don't have the space to take a couple of books it's so frustrating :mad:

I'm loving the COOL-ER range at the moment the hot pink one looks pretty, I wish they did one in purple haha! I'm a sucker for bright colours :D Hmm! I wonder is it too late to add this to my Christmas list :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I've used the Sony Reader, Kindle and iPad a fair bit at work for reading books but I still prefer a physical copy of a book. I love the smell and feel of a book as well as the satisfaction I get from placing a book I enjoyed reading in my bookcase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

I cherish books but I don't have a book fetish, the smell etc.. however I do think that books have artefactual value in terms of historical enquiry, for example "Hitler's Private library: The books that shaped his life" by Timothy W. Ryback. "Marginalia, readers writing in books"- H.J. Jackson, "The footnote a curious history"- A. Grafton. Honestly, collectors will still buy hardbacks/ paperbacks special editions. Since we've knocked the argument about reading a book off a screen on the head my only objection is that I can get the books from my local library for next to nothing or free and I can't imagine reading an academic text book with graphs from a screen the size of a paperback. The positives for ebooks: there are a lot of free ebooks online, project gutenberg is a wonderful site. They are handy for travelling. I think the two mediums complement each other and ultimately one should not be viewed as trumping the other. E-books are just a new way of enjoying literature. I'm sitting squarely on the fence for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭H. Flashman

most people who have a downer on ebook readers haven't used them, the screen and print on the kindle looks almost exactly like paper and ink and doesn't hurt your eyes anymore than reading a book. I still prefer a real book if its a really special book but 90% of the time the ereader does the job just fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Fortune_Cookie

Ebooks hold no appeal for me whatsoever. I don't care that they're lighter and can hold hundreds of books. I can only read one at a time anyway! I love the feel of an actual book and choosing which book I'm going to read next. This would never compare to downloading something. And I have tried reading a few ebooks, but I didn't find reading from the screen relaxing, I struggled to finish them and gave up reading most of them halfway through.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bullmccabe2010

Where can you buy a Kindle? I know you can get it on Amazon, but are there any shops that stock them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I'm going to buy a Kindle for travel and convenience, but I think I'll always prefer the physical thing.

I can't throw out or pass on books, I just feel an attachment to them that I can't imagine I'll ever have to an electronic device, however apparent its practicality or portability or economy.

I think in about ten years most people will adapt their reading habits to a combination of the two, but who knows?:)

Advertisement