Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Episodes: Matt le Blanc's new show.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

This is her IMDB page. Seemingly she's actually Scottish.

OHHH! I think I recognise her too - she was in Man Stroke Woman. Could that be where?

^ jammy git! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Thought the pilot was abysmal, you could see each joke coming a mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Having watched the first two episodes Im not sure what to make of this show. For a start its not funny at all and while some of the lines were very witty others were just awful. The closing of episode two where the female writer (can't remember name of character) goes on a foul mouthed rampage at a security guard for being locked out but there is no cleverness to the ranting just a random spewing of every curse word known to man.

Matt le Blanc's character is way to Joey like for something that is ment to be about the real life him and not him playing a tv show character. Another issue I have is how god damm slow going this programme is as it takes forever to get through the plot of the show.

While the idea for this show is great the execution is just painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I watched the first episode played on BBC2 tonight. It was very disappointing. There was nothing funny about the jokes, they were just contrived and dumb.

It took me a minute to recognise where I know Stephen Mangan from.... DAN........DAN..........DAN.........DAN..........DAN.........DAN...........DAN!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Episodes looks to have suffered from the same problems which beset The Increasingly poor decisions of Todd Margaret.

Another US/UK production which sounds good on paper but doesn't meet the some of it's parts.

Too many executives are involved and somewhere along the line it ends up being over-produced and the comedy is watered down.

Not unlike the show within the show.

Hope I'm wrong, maybe it will pick later in the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

First episode was very meh, dont know if ill bother with another.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,811 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For what it's worth, the second is marginally better than the first!

But the second episode has a terribly cringey closing scene in which
    Tamsin Greig's character shouts every swear word in her vocabulary at a security guard, and it's just all very familiar and poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Judging by the pacing of this show its almost as if it was written as a one hour show then changed to a 30 minute one without the script being adjusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

I wouldn't have minded seeing this. Is it repeated on NornIron BBC? I would have seen it if they hadn't changed times :rolleyes:

dmaxontour wrote: »
    I wouldn't have minded seeing this. Is it repeated on NornIron BBC? I would have seen it if they hadn't changed times :rolleyes:

If you have the BBC HD channel it's on at 12.30am Saturday night (early Sunday morning)

Don't think it's repeated anywhere else on the BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jighooligan

Rumor has it that it all falls into place in episode 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Rumor has it that it all falls into place in episode 3
    rourmour has it episode 4 will be even better:D

what exactly has to fall into place, joey is doing the show, its a done deal, the writers will remain for 6 weeks as we already saw at the start of the first episode, when yerone crashes into joey,

id say this show is dead, unless i hear something great about episode 3 im done,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I didn't see part one and avoided this and other reviews/threads so came to it "clean"

I liked it but I like Tamzin Greig and Stephen Mangan, the former has excellent timing. I thought the jokes were decent and the swearing fulsome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The second episode has defintely continued the warming up process for me. I was enjoying it by the end of the first episode after a mostly witty but slightly aschew and slow start. LeBlanc obviously adds something extra to it in the second episode and I'd disagree with someone who said his character is too much like Joey, especially given both the writers and LeBlanc himself will have been at pains to avoid just that happening.

The teaser for the third episode had some of the best lines I've seen so far in the show so my hopes for it to continue on an upwards curve haven't diminished.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Might give a few episodes a watch, with lowered expectations from reading this thread!

Maybe Ricky Gervais has changed comedy. It seems like it's affected the way some comedies have to be nowdays. Extras portrays Ricky as a less successful version of himself, in a comedy with some drama. Much like Tina Fey in "30 Rock", "The Trip" has Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon playing less successful versions of themselves in a comedy with some drama. And now Matt LeBlanc is playing a down-and-out version of himself in "Episodes".

Just a trend I've noticed when watching the Trip. I wonder if any of the producers/writers etc of "Episodes" are big fans of Gervais/Extras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Might give a few episodes a watch, with lowered expectations from reading this thread!

Maybe Ricky Gervais has changed comedy. It seems like it's affected the way some comedies have to be nowdays. Extras portrays Ricky as a less successful version of himself, in a comedy with some drama. Much like Tina Fey in "30 Rock", "The Trip" has Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon playing less successful versions of themselves in a comedy with some drama. And now Matt LeBlanc is playing a down-and-out version of himself in "Episodes".

Just a trend I've noticed when watching the Trip. I wonder if any of the producers/writers etc of "Episodes" are big fans of Gervais/Extras.
    Yeah I'm sure they love their show so much they want to have sex with it...even though they haven't actually seen it:pac:

jaykhunter wrote: »

LeBlanc's lack of credits post-Joey indicates it's more art imitating life than art imitating other art. I imagine he was somwhat burnt out, though, given he'd spent 12 years making 20+ episodes a year.

It should also be said in a majority of those cases the people who started in those roles weren't particularly well-known or sucessful in a mainstream sense beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

It's ok, the second episode was slightly better. Im hoping the next few episodes wil be better and pick up the pace a bit. I can't really see it getting a second season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Think I've this before.... It's called Joey?

At least he being honest in that he is playing a 'struggling actor'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I watched both episodes, mainly because I couldn't believe the first was so awful. Christ it's bad, really bad. I won't be wasting any more time on it.

• Advertisement

I liked the Showtime teaser trailer for the show, where Matt Le Blanc had to audition for his part as "Matt Le Blanc"

SkidMark wrote: »
    I liked the Showtime teaser trailer for the show, where Matt Le Blanc had to audition for his part as ''Matt Le Blanc'

It was what won me over to give it a chance. Still waiting for it to be as sharp and funny as the teaser but it isn't an abomination either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

i thought episode 3 was a big step up from the first 2 in terms of humour. i actually quite enjoyed it and even though i wasn't too bothered about it before i'm actually looking forward to the next episode now:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Detailed synopsis for the upcoming eps.
    Episode Four
    Sean and Beverly have to retrieve Matt from a seedy bar outside of LA so that the paparazzi waiting outside won't see him driving home drunk. What follows is an all-night road trip which takes the trio from a run-in with a paparazzo to Matt's ex-wife's house and finally to his son's bedroom, where Matt is forced to confront the mess he's made of his life. The transformative evening even manages to bring Matt and Beverly closer together. The question is: for how long?

Episode Five
    Sean's infatuation with the lovely "Pucks!" actress Morning Randolph is given an opportunity to blossom when Matt invites the two of them to a charity benefit. Sean realizes that his attraction to her may be, in fact, mutual. Meanwhile, Beverly and Carol share a joint and commiserate about the men in their lives. At the end of the night, Sean has a difficult choice to make, and Beverly learns that she has more to worry about in regard to her husband and the actress than even she realized.

Episode Six
    Convinced that Sean is having an affair with Morning, Beverly packs a bag and leaves, intending to head back to London. However, in her distress, she is unaware that she's driving on the left side of the road. Beverly doesn't realize her mistake until she has a head-on collision - a collision which leads her down a road with even more dire consequences.

Episode Seven
    A final goodbye between Matt and Sean takes an unexpected turn involving a missing Jaguar, a red-nosed reindeer, and the smell of cinnamon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

hmmm, given it 3 episodes now and its not exactly reeling me in. Think this is the end of the road for me and Episodes...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

hmmm, given it 3 episodes now and its not exactly reeling me in. Think this is the end of the road for me and Episodes...

Imagine if you done this with Seinfield,1st season is bad not a patch the other season and I think most new shows need more than 3 epsiodes to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Imagine if you done this with Seinfield,1st season is bad not a patch the other season and I think most new shows need more than 3 epsiodes to be fair.

But there's so many old shows that I can be watching if I drop new ones. The times are a changing - I think the 3 strikes and you're out method works nicely. 3 episodes is more than I've given most shows these days.

First 3 episodes of Seinfeld are far superior to the first 3 episodes of Episodes...

That's quite a positive outlook, Capt Negative :D Something tells me this is not the next Seinfeld! But I agree, all shows should get 1-2 curtailed seasons (6-7 eps each) to see if they can find their feet (unless it's universally panned)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I never said it was the next seinfield.The first Season of Seinfield was sh!te.Ill give this a watch with low expections.

• Advertisement

I meant that it's unlikely that this show will have the huge increase in quality that we saw in S1-2 of Seinfeld.

Advertisement