Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OLEARY! FLAG AND MOCKING THE DEAD

Options
  • 19-11-2010 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

Are there any people left in this country with any sense of pride and respect for themselves and others?
    After Mr Olearys carry on with the coffin and hearse and the national colours why are people not outraged by this ?
    Very few citizens are afforded the honour of having the Tricolour on them on their final jouney and this clown has to insult them and their loved ones .

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

FFS, people read into things too much. He wasn't trying to insult or dishonour the dead, that wasn't his intentions so what's the big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

How is it an honour? Its a bit of bleedin fabric, anyone could do it surely?

Nationalism and patriotism belongs in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

FFS, people read into things too much. He wasn't trying to insult or dishonour the dead, that wasn't his intentions so what's the big deal.

tell that to the woman in limerick burying her kids today.

turn on the tv and there's the oleary clown acting the eejit.

its ironic,he will become what he despises.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I laughed, the guy knows how to get publicity and seems to have a bit of a sense of humour about it. I am actually surprised he has not grown a Hitler for Movember for a bit of extra publicity.

Helix wrote: »

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Care to explain? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd wipe my arse with the flag if I was out of bog roll.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Helix wrote: »

A severe case of WTF !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

FF mocked the living by placing me and others in negitive equity

we are under IMF flag now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

thebullkf wrote: »

Yeah I'm sure that mother will be interested right now in what the head of Ryanair wore to the opening of T2. I reckon she might have more important things on her mind tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Doubtful she'd even notice.

And yeah, it is just a piece of fabric - if you choose to imbue it with importance, fair play to you, but people are allowed to make or not make of it what they prefer. Not everyone's proud of their nationality - it's not an accomplishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

I'll tell ye now Joe....

and be jailed most likel for it. (isn't it an offence to deface the flag?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

Some statement! pmsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

its ironic,he will become what he despises.

All comedy on TV has to be banned when someone dies. God forbid they turn on the telly and see someone "acting the eejit".

and be jailed most likel for it. (isn't it an offence to deface the flag?)

Nope, we ain't that bad. If someone defaces a flag, it shows them up to be retards anyway, so why jail them?

It is officially discouraged to deface Irish flags, but not illegal.

Yeah I'm sure that mother will be interested right now in what the head of Ryanair wore to the opening of T2. I reckon she might have more important things on her mind tbh.

o'leary mocking the sacrament of death, and nationality to make cheap publicity for his firm is disgusting in my eyes.
    he's a sensationalist prick who runs a diy airline almost.

he's a prick.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/furious-ryanair-passengers-refuse-to-leave-plane-after-belgium-diversion/story-e6frf7jx-1225955043236

2mth old baby among the passengers,no access to toilets,lights for 100 passengers....

only in o'learyland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

I'm not too upset.That flag has a huge orange stain down one side of it.We should design a new one.Flag pride is farcical anyway.The yanks go right over the top with it, freaking out if you don't fold it into a specific triangle.

I think there are more pressing concerns.

Dudess wrote: »
    Doubtful she'd even notice.

And yeah, it is just a piece of fabric - if you choose to imbue it with importance, fair play to you, but people are allowed to make or not make of it what they prefer. Not everyone's proud of their nationality - it's not an accomplishment.

who do you know thats not proud to be irish..?

Myself for one - not ashamed either, just... Irish.
    o'leary mocking the sacrament of death, and nationality to make cheap publicity for his firm is disgusting in my eyes.
    he's a sensationalist prick who runs a diy airline almost.

he's a prick.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/furious-ryanair-passengers-refuse-to-leave-plane-after-belgium-diversion/story-e6frf7jx-1225955043236

2mth old baby among the passengers,no access to toilets,lights for 100 passengers....

only in o'learyland.
    I think he's a prick too but I don't see how using the metaphor of a coffin (not the first time it's been done) is mocking the sacrament of death.

• Advertisement

To be fair, the people on that plane are stubborn idiots. Beauvais was closed because of weather problems, the plane had to land somewhere, it landed, buses were going to take them rest of way.

So what is the clever thing to do? Refuse and stay on a plane that is not going anywhere. The French take stupidity to the American level sometimes.

I think he's a prick too but I don't see how using the metaphor of a coffin (not the first time it's been done) is mocking the sacrament of death.

You're not proud of being Irish?

:confused:

EDIT:
    Around 90 angry passengers spent almost five hours on a Ryanair plane refusing to disembark after their flight was diverted to Liege instead of landing at Beauvais airport in northern France.

Passengers from three other diverted Ryanair planes accepted an offer of bus transport to France when fog shut down the Beauvais airport, 225 miles away.

But the mostly French tourists returning from Morocco on a fourth Ryanair plane refused to leave when it landed about midnight in Liege.

A spokesman for the Liege Airport, said the situation was tense and some passengers "were very aggressive, very rude."

He said passengers finally left the plane at the request of police.

seems different scenario there...

well people here thought it ws funny.

just curious as to why you've no pride in your country of birth?

i suppose it depends on one's view of being Irish
    i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    A severe case of WTF !

how exactly?

where youre from is nothing to be proud of

be proud of things you actually achieved yourself

patriotism is a thinly veiled excuse for xenophobia in most cases

i was born in ireland, my passport says im irish, but i wouldnt consider myself any nationality tbh. i dont see the point in it. we all live on the same rock in space, thats good enough for me

You're not proud of being Irish?

:confused:
    just curious as to why you've no pride in your country of birth?

i suppose it depends on one's view of being Irish
    i
    What's so amazing or unusual about people not being proud of their nationality? That's not to say I think it's a negative thing either though, just don't see what there is to be proud (or ashamed) of. I don't make a conscious decision to not be proud of it, it's just how I happen to roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

Heard him on the last word, made fairly good account of himself. He was live action roleplaying the death of Irish tourism due to the extra taxes being hiked on to pay for IMF's 1.2b red carpet. Had a good laugh at his reasoning behind why he would never enter the world of politics in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

I wonder how many of people who responded to this thread and thought it was funny to insult our flag and traditions depend on this state for their dole money , free housing or the highly paid public service job,
    Its ok for yee shower to grab and scrounge of this state and not repect it , not my fault that ye bought houses for 5 times more than they were worth and all ye can do now is attack your own state . shame on ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

O'Leary is nothing but a gob****e and his little stunt backfired on him, he was shunned at T2 opening today by nearly everyone, no one would sit near him and afterwards no one spoke to him.

People are wise to what he is like and to be honest i wasnt surprised that he pulled a stunt, when i heard that he was on the guest list i knew that he would do something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If O'Leary had a real stiff in a real coffin on the tarmac I would have been be mortified, but he didn't. It was just another one of his good humored publicity stunts.

I have also great respect for this man speaking out about this monstrosity that will inevitably hike up airfares across the nation to pay off its high price tag.

Advertisement