Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Car Buttons

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

eireal wrote: »
    Are the siren tones manually interchangable in any of the car's or are they always controlled by pressing the horn to change the tone?

The horn doesn't control the siren.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

eireal wrote: »
    Are you sure

Absolutely sure, I've driven enough patrol cars at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

are you sure about that because on the fire appliances and the ambulances the horn control the electronic siren, one push turns it on, another switches between each tone and two quick concession pushes turns it off.
    however the two tone klaxon is manually switched on by a dash button.
    oh and we have the angry horn, it a separate red button, sound like a fog horn...

try it the next time your in a patrol car, as it can be configured to operate this way, maybe the contractors for AGS didn't wire it this way for a reason

ivabiggon wrote: »
    are you sure about that because on the fire appliances and the ambulances the horn control the electronic siren, one push turns it on, another switches between each tone and two quick concession pushes turns it off.

I'm very sure, I've driven patrol cars and I've beeped the horn - it never sets off the siren.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

cushtac wrote: »
    I'm very sure, I've driven patrol cars and I've beeped the horn - it never sets off the siren.

ye that happens alright but the siren has to be set in the 999 mode or in the older one in the "HF" mode which is "hand free"
    but the horn will act normal outside of these functions, now i don't doubt you as i said the garda cars maybe configured differently, but these were installed for H&S reasons, to limit the hands off the steering wheel time.
    but the RSU cars definitely have them as you can clearly here it on the above clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

cushtac wrote: »
    Absolutely sure, I've driven enough patrol cars at this stage.

Not enough though buddie!!

All the RSU volvos have beep toggle fitted.....as does some advanced cars an the trial vehicles like the iszui Dmaz some time ago.

No regular patrol car has it fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

The horn ring transfer as it's actually called should be fitted as standard to all AGS vehicles. The only reason that I could see that it wasn't donebis to save cost (approx 20euro pet vehicle) doesn't make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

buzzman wrote: »
    The horn ring transfer as it's actually called should be fitted as standard to all AGS vehicles. The only reason that I could see that it wasn't donebis to save cost (approx 20euro pet vehicle) doesn't make sense

A lot you'd know about horn rings now buzzman! on the subject by the way, horn is gone in 209 you might sort it out...

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

in most garda marked cars the horn doesnt change anything with regards the siren.

in most unmarked cars, when the siren is going, hitting the horn changes the siren tone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

No, it doesn't.
    I haven't seen a horn switch on ANY Patrol car I've been in, marked or unmarked. Id be surprised if any other members have seen it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

It does in pretty much every unmarked ive driven in both limerick and cork. Maybe a regional thing if they arent done where your based so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

My understanding is that many regional units have better workshops than those in the DMA, who are relying on the depot to do the siren work. Mods you would get away with in "the country" wouldn't be tolerated in the DMA where they would come under more regular scrutiny from the garda "technicians" in the Garage at Garda HQ. Some units even send cars unofficially to private auto electronic outlets, to fit wig wags or extra strobes.
    That said, some workshops went to the insulation tape school of wiring. When vehicles begun arriving from sonic etc pre wired life became much easier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Surprised to see alley lights on the button panel, didn't think AGS had them. Is 'Spots' what I'd know as a 'Takedown Light'?

'Airhorn' must be fun, though. It's certainly an attention getter on American fire trucks.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Those RSU Volvos are gorgeous. The next PD Wagon whenever I eventually retire the Rover 75 Estate's going to be something similar. Obviously without the Battenburg (Even though I was the first person to fit one to a Garda Car for testing purposes, little bit of trivia there!), but I'd freaking love one with chevrons on the back and a scrolling display on the roof for advertising purposes.

There's one in Cork doing the rounds and it makes me drool everytime I see it. And it's a Volvo, I feel dirty looking at it, but in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

Not enough though buddie!!

All the RSU volvos have beep toggle fitted.....as does some advanced cars an the trial vehicles like the iszui Dmaz some time ago.

No regular patrol car has it fitted.

Drove a ford focus patrol car before, day in day out, it had the siren linked to the horn.

You could turn it on and toggle it with the horn.

It was a pain in the backside.

Hated it.

Advertisement