Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Car Buttons

Options
  • 17-11-2010 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I was walking by an Garda unmarked ford modeo today and it had the button thing on the dashboard like every other Garda. But this modeo only had two LEDS in the grill and one on back window.
    Can someone tell me please why they need all the buttons. Im very curious :)
    thanks,
    SNOOPY !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It had more than that.

Also has a siren.

Also, the siren/light unit is probably generic - not all the buttons have to be functional.
    Silly question.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Saxobank

and if the car gets more lights they can add more buttons to the panel..

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Hi, I was walking by an Garda unmarked ford modeo today and it had the button thing on the dashboard like every other Garda. But this modeo only had two LEDS in the grill and one on back window.
    Can someone tell me please why they need all the buttons. Im very curious :)
    thanks,
    SNOOPY !

I probably shouldn't say, but on unmarked cars they're for the ejector seat, oil slick, smoke screen etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

Police-Car-with-Donuts-57950.jpg

...."and the gone for donuts" button,
    VIP...... most worn out button on the panel, i heard from a friend of mine in the park that they've had to order extra donut buttons........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

sdonn wrote: »
    Silly question.

Ever heard the saying.. 'no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer?'

The buttons are not solely for lights and sirens.. not sure whether it's info that should be made public?

• Advertisement

eroo wrote: »
    Ever heard the saying.. 'no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer?'

The buttons are not solely for lights and sirens.. not sure whether it's info that should be made public?
    They are blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Eroo, your right about no such thing as a silly question but as for the last part of your post inferring that the control panel buttons are for something else is also incorrect. Their are infact a generic light/siren control panel & some of the buttons are not functional depending on the lights fitted to the vehicle

buzzman wrote: »
    Eroo, your right about no such thing as a silly question but as for the last part of your post inferring that the control panel buttons are for something else is also incorrect. Their are infact a generic light/siren control panel & some of the buttons are not functional depending on the lights fitted to the vehicle

Well the OP mentioned LED's and siren, so I figured they may not have known about 'run lock' etc?

I learn something new everyday!:)

foreign wrote: »
    They are blank.

But the OP wasn't asking about the blank ones, they were asking about the buttons that are in use. They only know of the LEDs on the front and back so thought there should only be two buttons, rather than the other ones that are in all cars?

Does that sound right or am I just confusing myself?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Grills
    Sirens
    Alternating headlights
    Grills/All lights may be different.

Then there is 999 turns on everything,
    Arrive scene turns off siren keep lights on
    leave scene turn everything off etc.

It's a generic panel, it would also be designed to take stuff like scene lighting for vans, ambulance, firetrucks, heater buttons etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gogowest

so which is which? just interested

Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

gogowest wrote: »
    so which is which? just interested

Sean.

Top console sitting on the dash is the lights/siren control we're talking about. Screen is ANPR (obviously details of which aren't discussed)

buzzman wrote: »
    Top console sitting on the dash is the lights/siren control we're talking about. Screen is ANPR (obviously details of which aren't discussed)

That'd be the boyo used to identify people, would it (owner of cars, if tax is paid, etc.)?

Do Garda cars ever have laptops installed in them, like some of their US counterparts seem to?

I believe the little control panel also has a mic attached? They usually have a PA system in-built, don't they?

EDIT; I believe someone on here before posted a photo of an ambulance interior, and labeled everything in the photo. Can't remember which user it was, but it was a very interesting photo. Hopefully if the person who posted it sees this thread they'll post it again.

I was looking at an ambulance once, and seen a lot (all, i think) of the buttons were labelled, for the different lights and such. But the only Garda one I've seen had the buttons blank (unless they were just worn). I assume the buttons have different features in different services and vehicles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

belacqua_ wrote: »
    I probably shouldn't say, but on unmarked cars they're for the ejector seat, oil slick, smoke screen etc.

Shhh.

We once had a car that was used for detecting stolen property in halting sites.
    It was cleverly disguised as a mapreading light. Are they still fitted?

Well the OP mentioned LED's and siren, so I figured they may not have known about 'run lock' etc?

I learn something new everyday!:)

The OP mentioned no sirens.

I will almost guarentee you that absolutely no Garda car, bar maybe the RSU Volvo Police Specials, have run lock. None of them are unmarked.

I will almost guarentee you that absolutely no Garda car, bar maybe the RSU Volvo Police Specials, have run lock. None of them are unmarked.

sorry for asking, but this "run lock" system you refer too, is this the system were you can keep the vehicle running and take the keys out of the ignition and the vehicle cuts out as the hand brake is lowered, because if it is, it's very common on all the cen ambulances and on patrol cars.

Garda cars do have run lock, but not all of them.

Garda cars do have run lock, but not all of them.

thats what i thought, but i was under the assumption that all of them were, considering it was the same company who fitted them.?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Nearly all marked Garda cars have "run lock" as standard, prob some unmarked too.

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Nearly all marked Garda cars have "run lock" as standard, prob some unmarked too.

It was considered a priority after a few patrol cars were stolen....

Before their installation it was common practice to carry a second key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Run lock is installed in all marked Garda vehicles.

It is also installed in certain unmarked cars, mostly Traffic units. (Run Lock shouldnt be needed in unmarked cars as they should not be at RTCs etc unless they have a whole heap of blue lights)

The Traffic control box has seperate buttons for 999 (All lights), Siren on/off, Siren toggle, wing blues, static lights, roof lights, rear reds and head light flasher.

All lights can be activated separately for different reasons and uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

Ehhh No. Incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-4tRWMuLhM

Cut to two mins in . Although the box is different it would have similar buttons.

Run lock is installed in all marked Garda vehicles.

It is also installed in certain unmarked cars, mostly Traffic units. (Run Lock shouldnt be needed in unmarked cars as they should not be at RTCs etc unless they have a whole heap of blue lights)

The Traffic control box has seperate buttons for 999 (All lights), Siren on/off, Siren toggle, wing blues, static lights, roof lights, rear reds and head light flasher.

All lights can be activated separately for different reasons and uses.

Seems I had a Walter moment. I stand corrected!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

.136567.JPG

That's disgraceful!

2fm????

kaizersoze, which of those gizmos would be used to change the text in the RSU lightbar?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kaizersoze, which of those gizmos would be used to change the text in the RSU lightbar?

Not a clue. Sorry.

Think it's the one above the Motorola box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Are the siren tones manually interchangable in any of the car's or are they always controlled by pressing the horn to change the tone?

Advertisement