Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping for a checkpoint at night?

Options
  • 17-11-2010 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

I can't remember if I asked this question before or not but is it illegal for a female driver, travelling alone, to drive through a checkpoint but to present herself at the nearest Garda station?

Both myself & my friend were just chatting & it got around to driving at night etc. She's adamant that a woman driving alone at night does not need to stop at a checkpoint but has to go into the nearest Garda station?

I remember hearing something about it before but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what.

Can someone please clear this up before one or both of us gets locked up :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

easyeason3 wrote: »
    I can't remember if I asked this question before or not but is it illegal for a female driver, travelling alone, to drive through a checkpoint but to present herself at the nearest Garda station?

It's illegal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Both myself & my friend were just chatting & it got around to driving at night etc. She's adamant that a woman driving alone at night does not need to stop at a checkpoint but has to go into the nearest Garda station?

I remember hearing something about it before but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what.

godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facep-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Ok, thanks. I've just gone very red in the face with embarrassment :o

So was that ever the case at any stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

is the blonde..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Ok, thanks. I've just gone very red in the face with embarrassment :o

So was that ever the case at any stage?

Nope - it was just an urban myth alas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

do you dye your roots brown by anychance?????? really what do you think??:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u78p_-Jc1aU&feature=related

is the blonde..?

No she's not, funny enough I'm blonde though. But she was so adamant that I started doubting common sense.

I believe (and I'm open to correction here, of course) that you don't have to stop for a Garda, if you have reason to believe that it is not an actual Garda (ie; you have reason to believe it is someone impersonating one), and should present yourself at the station in that case.

However, if there's two blokes in Garda jackets with a Garda car parked at the side of the road, then you don't really have any reason to believe he wouldn't be an actual Garda stop.

I believe (and I'm open to correction here, of course) that you don't have to stop for a Garda, if you have reason to believe that it is not an actual Garda (ie; you have reason to believe it is someone impersonating one), and should present yourself at the station in that case.

However, if there's two blokes in Garda jackets with a Garda car parked at the side of the road, then you don't really have any reason to believe he wouldn't be an actual Garda stop.

This is what she thinks. There's so many unmarked cars being used by Guards & I'm sure if you're a criminal that it's not going to be impossible to steal a Garda uniform or at least get a very convincing replica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

Is this some kind of a wind up ??? If not I would be worried !!
    1. Of course no matter what you have to stop for a garda checkpoint no matter if you female or male.
    2. If you are a female or a male and there is a checkpoint and the garda is on there own and you dont see a garda car and you are in doubt then you are entitled to ask that garda for I.D ex; Garda badge . Do not open your window fully if you are in doubt.
    3.All of the gaurds have id numbers on there shoulders if you are in doubt ring the local station and ask have they a officer which matches the number you give them ex;LK158

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If I was driving at the speed limit (hey, we're talking hypothetically here!) on a lonely road at night, and some random car behind me turned on the blue lights and it wasn't a Garda car or an "obvious" unmarked car (ariels etc), then yeah, I'd be very cautious about pulling over. I'd probably ring the nearest Garda station and check that they were for real, or else just keep driving (within the limit!) to the nearest lit-up area with people around.

But as for driving through a check-point?! :D:D:D:D Good luck to her with that one!!!

rescue16 wrote: »
    Is this some kind of a wind up ??? If not I would be worried !!
    1. Of course no matter what you have to stop for a garda checkpoint no matter if you female or male.
    2. If you are a female or a male and there is a checkpoint and the garda is on there own and you dont see a garda car and you are in doubt then you are entitled to ask that garda for I.D ex; Garda badge . Do not open your window fully if you are in doubt.
    3.All of the gaurds have id numbers on there shoulders if you are in doubt ring the local station and ask have they a officer which matches the number you give them ex;LK158

Yeah I get what you are telling me, I tried to reason those points with her.
    But her argument is what if you're a bank manager driving on a remote road & you think it's not a genuine situation? Do you stop & possibly get kidnapped or what?

She's after putting the heebie jeebies up me anyway!

But her argument is what if you're a bank manager driving on a remote road & you think it's not a genuine situation? Do you stop & possibly get kidnapped or what?

If you're carrying a lot of money on you, or you think there's a possiblity of kidnap or such, then would it not make more sense to just ring the station?

and it wasn't a Garda car or an "obvious" unmarked car (ariels etc)

I don't think many unmarked cars have ariels anymore? The ones in Drogheda don't seem to, anyway.

To be honest, siren, blue lights, hat and shoulder tags would be enough to convince me. All of which you'd see if they were pulling you over, anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

As i always say, if you do not stop for one "so called" garda car you very soon will see alot more Garda cars with blue lights and sirens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

If someone has gone to the trouble of learning your routine and way home, then regardless of you stopping or not, they are going to make you stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

snip

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

If I was driving at the speed limit (hey, we're talking hypothetically here!) on a lonely road at night, and some random car behind me turned on the blue lights and it wasn't a Garda car or an "obvious" unmarked car (ariels etc), then yeah, I'd be very cautious about pulling over. I'd probably ring the nearest Garda station and check that they were for real, or else just keep driving (within the limit!) to the nearest lit-up area with people around.

But as for driving through a check-point?! :D:D:D:D Good luck to her with that one!!!

Jees, your able to spot a 3 inch ariel on an unmarked car travelling behind you . . . . .at night . . . . . .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's possible it's a mutation of advice routinely given in the US: If being pulled over on a rural road, especially by an unmarked vehicle, acknowledge the command of the cruiser by putting on the hazards, call the police to verify with the dispatcher that you're being pulled over by a legitimate car, or proceed to the next lit area such as a gas station or shopping area etc. As long as you do actually pull over at the next reasonable location, the police won't get mad.

The practise may have suffered from a case of Internet Chinese Whisper on its way to you.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

In all fairness if everyone were to think or say that oh this is not be a geniune garda we could get away with everything ex. drunk driving , driving without a insurance or tax. Regarding a country road when last have we seen a garda on a country road we are lucky to see them on our main roads now with all these cuts and paper work they have to do . Now saying that as far as i know unmarked cars dont normally pull people over at night because of this reason they would normally call in a marked car. Also have you noticed that most officers are on there own. They way this women is talking she could get away with anything .

mr cowen wrote: »
    snip

ok are gardaí allowed to stop cars out of uniform and in an unmarked car?

• Advertisement

ok are gardaí allowed to stop cars out of uniform and in an unmarked car?

Yes.

Chief--- wrote: »
    Yes.

"I DON'T THINK SO"

Yes.

U ARE EDITING FREE SPEECH BUD!!

U ARE EDITING FREE SPEECH BUD!!

Firstly, I am not your "bud"

Secondly, use of capitals here is against the charter, along with nonsensical posts.

Consider this a warning.

back on topic,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0109.html

allows any member of An Garda Siochana to stop any vehicle in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

This link is from snopes.com. This site researches urban legends.
    http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/fakecop.asp

The above Webpage deals with the United States. It does not refer to the Republic of Ireland.

This thread is about the legality of driving through a checkpoint. This question has been conclusively answered. [It is illegal.]

IMHO some persons wonder how can they establish if a checkpoint is genuine.

Secondly, use of capitals here is against the charter, along with nonsensical posts.

Consider this a warning.

back on topic,

i'm well aware of the act, but it doesn't mention anything about being in uniform or not? where as i'm looking at "piece" of paper that clarifies that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Consider this a warning.

back on topic,

And how does one identify a member of AGS I wonder ? I for one will not stop for someone I can not readily identify as a member of AGS, whether that's legal or not.

Without proper identification, as in a uniform, one should not be expected to stop for a perfect stranger to verify whether that stranger actually is a Garda or not.

Northern Ireland for what it matters is slightly different, the legislation specifically refers to "a Constable in uniform", interpreted as any police officer in uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

i'm well aware of the act, but it doesn't mention anything about being in uniform or not? where as i'm looking at "piece" of paper that clarifies that.
    act wrote:
    109.—(1) A person driving a vehicle in a public place shall stop the vehicle on being so required by a member of the Garda Síochána.
    [GA]

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence.

With respect this is what the public has to obey. Garda directives should have no bearing on public behavior.

I doubt there are even that many plain clothes unmarked car checkpionts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

In fairness to the Gardai, the odd time you see unmarked plain clothes checkpoints the folks on it will most of the time be wearing some sort of immedeatly recognisable identification in the form of a high viz vest over the plain clothes or a stab vest with GARDA clearly printed on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

I love these threads, it gives an opportunity to post my favourite Third Watch clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0L2Vwpy1o

On a more serious note, Stop for any Garda car. If you don't you will get in trouble. Failing to stop for a member of An Garda Siochana (uniformed or not) is a serious offence.

Checkpoints generally aren't conducted by plain clothes members in unmarked cars...for health and safety reasons ie no high viz clothing. However uniformed members in unmarked cars is a common sight and checkpoints with these cars is also fairly common.

I've said it before in similar threads, if you see blue flashing lights up ahead or behind you at night, don't be so paranoid as to think hijackers/kidnappers. Instead think of the Garda who is just trying to do their job. Pull over and you'll be away in 5 minutes. If you fail to stop I can guarantee you it'll take a far sight longer than that and you'll be leaving my company with charge sheets and a date with the local district court.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement