Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holding the door for people

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

Confab wrote: »
    I generally try to hold doors closed.

People do that to me in my college with the relvolving doors!!!!!!!
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

5starpool wrote: »
    Has anyone here any funny stories about people falling while running to a door that has been held open for them?

Had a poll on it few months back :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055853821

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

garv123 wrote: »
    i seen a guy yesterday drive up along the outside lane past all the queue on the inside lane pretending he was going to turn off right and then switched his indicator to pull into the other lane after skipping all the traffic. the car he was trying to get in ahead of quickly pulled up and closed the gap and so did all the other traffic behind knowing he was been a Pr1ck trying so skip them all so in the end he had to turn right when more cars who were going right pulled up behind him. served him right hate people who try to do that

i also like holding door open when the fat guy behind u is a good bit away and he does that little kind of run to be polite to get tot the door :D

That's a bit rich - you calling other people pricks for their lack of respect for others.

OutlawPete wrote: »

I think chivalry is dying... but not dead. The few men out there who still hold the door open make the whole experience extra memorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Leelaa22 wrote: »
    People do that to me in my college with the relvolving doors!!!!!!!
    :eek:

Guilty! :D:D - stick my foot out to suddenly stop it - but only to people who look like an ass or people i know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I think chivalry is dying... but not dead. The few men out there who still hold the door open make the whole experience extra memorable.

Cripes. I thought everyone held the door open for women. I do it all the time.

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Guilty! :D:D - stick my foot out to suddenly stop it - but only to people who look like an ass or people i know

I guess that means I look like an ass
    ahhhh fu...
    Hey if you are one of the guys in college doing that to me.. STOP :mad:
    *shakes fist*

I guess that means I look like an ass
    ahhhh fu...
    Hey if you are one of the guys in college doing that to me.. STOP :mad:
    *shakes fist*

:( oh okay...

Cripes. I thought everyone held the door open for women. I do it all the time.

Fu** sake is it just me??
    Do I rate as an Elton John on the politeness/attractiveness ratio !

:( oh okay...

Good or else the foot would have went down and sh1t would have gotten real!

It really wouldn't have, I'm a wimp

• Advertisement

It really wouldn't have, I'm a wimp

Theres your problem right there! - smack the next person who doesnt hold it open, make a scene and everyone will hold it for you in future :)

Worked for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

And the few women that say thanks, makes it worthwhile :)

Theres your problem right there! - smack the next person who doesnt hold it open, make a scene and everyone will hold it for you in future :)

Worked for me!

Yes cause everyone holds the door open for the crazy girl on campus
    *Crazy eyes*

OutlawPete wrote:

And the few women that say thanks, makes it worthwhile
    Man you ever hold the door open for me I will definately say thank you. You wont know its me and I wont know its you, but ill say thank you and youll know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

When I was in America and you held the door for someone they would almost want to shake your hand, a lot of the time here if you hold the door for someone you might get a bad look!

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    When I was in America and you held the door for someone they would almost want to shake your hand, a lot of the time here if you hold the door for someone you might get a bad look!

I think thats just americans in general... I find them a bit too friendly at times.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Americans are great! Once I parked the car, got out and an American stopped me and told me I did a great job in parking and that she can never 'reverse' in. It was an embarrassing moment!

But yea, I always hold the door open for people unless they are too far behind - I don't want to rush them. There's this one guy I'm friends with who always opens the door and steps back to let the people behind him in ahead of him - a really nice thing to do. I usually don't bother.

What sometimes annoys me though is when somebody is ahead of you, a bit too far away to consider holding the door open, so they give it an extra push. However, this is nearly worse as it means that the door closes from a more extreme position, therefore when I get to it, it is moving fast and is nearly closed. It would have been easier if they didn't do it at all! But then again I worry about small things :P

Americans are great! Once I parked the car, got out and an American stopped me and told me I did a great job in parking and that she can never 'reverse' in. It was an embarrassing moment!

But yea, I always hold the door open for people unless they are too far behind - I don't want to rush them. There's this one guy I'm friends with who always opens the door and steps back to let the people behind him in ahead of him - a really nice thing to do. I usually don't bother.

What sometimes annoys me though is when somebody is ahead of you, a bit too far away to consider holding the door open, so they give it an extra push. However, this is nearly worse as it means that the door closes from a more extreme position, therefore when I get to it, it is moving fast and is nearly closed. It would have been easier if they didn't do it at all! But then again I worry about small things :P

Its the little things that count, we are fighting the big fights here in AH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Its the little things that count, we are fighting the big fights here in AH

Like your sig little lady?

I was going into a builders yard today with my daughter. She automatically held the door open for a burly builder entering. I high-fived myself at her manners, didn't cross my mind whether it was a male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I have a very fair system.

Very good looking girl
    - hold the door open though shes a good 30ft away.
    Complete random stranger within 8ft - i'l push the door open & release with the intent that the person will catch it etc. Im not holding the door open till they get to the door, that looks dumb.
    Complete random stranger who is within 4ft - i will hold the door open.
    Ugly bird - does not compute. ERROR standby..
    Fatty - does not compute. ERROR standby..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Very good looking girl
    Complete random stranger within 8ft - i'l push the door open & release with the intent that the person will catch it etc. Im not holding the door open till they get to the door, that looks dumb.
    Fatty - does not compute. ERROR standby..

I thought you WERE a girl. Must be the name.

• Advertisement

Like your sig little lady?

I was going into a builders yard today with my daughter. She automatically held the door open for a burly builder entering. I high-fived myself at her manners, didn't cross my mind whether it was a male or female.

What about my sig?? (It's not really mine, it's garfields)
    How'd you know I'm little?
    Kudos to your kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

Very good looking girl
    Fatty - does not compute. ERROR standby.. Open both doors and GTF out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I thought you WERE a girl. Must be the name.

Well i suppose a percentage of me is. I have hairy man boobs. There so soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I hold the door for people. Most times I get a smile and a 'thanks'. Doesn't kill me when I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just hold it open.

Looking for a reward demeans the whole, gentlemanly, point of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    When I was in America and you held the door for someone they would almost want to shake your hand

Have found that in London also, well not so much a shake your hand, but always a smile and a thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

I held a door open recently for a guy about 20ft away. Didn't realise he was limping and then he started hopping on his good leg to get to the door quicker. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

not a door but next time someone does not say thanks try this :p

a5zui.gif

Advertisement