Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holding the door for people

Options
  • 17-11-2010 11:57am
    Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭

When I'm going through a door I generally look to see if there is someone behind me. If there is someone close by, I hold it open. If they are further back sometimes I wait and hold it, sometimes not, depending on mood and my rush at the time.

The times when I do hold it for a few seconds, I'm always amused and bemused in equal measure by people who nearly run to the door. Why bother? I get why they think they are doing it, i.e. to not make you wait too long holding it, but I don't hold the door open to make people run, I hold it open to be helpful, especially if it is a work door where you may have to press a buzzer or use a card to get through, or a heavy door.

When someone holds a door open for me I just walk as normal and say thanks when I get there. I'd rather open it myself than rush up to it like a grateful puppy. I still don't get why people bother to do this. It's nice to be nice, but if I'm try to be nice to someone, I don't want to see them more troubled to get to the door that I am holding open than it would take to open the door themselves. It is counter intuitive, and likely to be an incentive to only hold doors open for those in close proximity when you go through.

It does open up the possibility though during times of boredom of seeing how far people will rush and put themselves out just because someone is holding a door open for you. Women on a wet footpath in high heels offer bags of potential for many laughs in this regard, although I haven't actually been quite bored enough to do this yet.

Has anyone here any funny stories about people falling while running to a door that has been held open for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

nah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

5starpool wrote: »
    Has anyone here any funny stories about people falling while running to a door that has been held open for them?

This one time there was a person running to a door that was being held open for them and they fell.

So to answer your question: No, not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I only ranted this morning about ignorant ***** who wont even acknowledge you holding a door open for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

they are trying to return the favor by not delaying you further than they have to.

find something worth giving out about, jaysus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Opening the door for someone, waiting for them to come and then they don't even aknowledge your good deed.

*thumps them in back of head*

Your welcome!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I only ranted this morning about ignorant ***** who wont even acknowledge you holding a door open for them.

The bastards! It's worth following them to the next door and pushing them out the way, so that you can get through first, and stand on the other side of the door for ten minutes holding it shut!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I used to hold the door open for everyone. I'd stand there for ages just holding the door. Most people never even said thanks.

I hated working as a doorman at that hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

If I see you a way off in the distance OP, I'm going to hold the door open for absolutely ages until you get near, then let it close. Slowroll, gtfo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I hold automatic doors open for people sometimes. It really confuses them.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

when i hold a door open and people dont say thanks i always say in a loud voice '' you're welcome'' they usually say what ??? i then add '' oh sorry. i thought you said thank you''...........the look on some of their faces !:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

...especially if it is a work door where you may have to press a buzzer or use a card to get through....

Tut tut. Security might have a thing or two to say to you about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The times when I do hold it for a few seconds, I'm always amused and bemused in equal measure by people who nearly run to the door. Why bother? I'd rather open it myself than rush up to it like a grateful puppy.

FFS! If i see you holding open a door im going to slow my walk to a crawl, stop to check the time and when i get near to you (while you're still standing like a tool holding open the door) do a U turn and go "oh, sorry about that ive changed my mind". You'll be one pissed off puppy then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

Next time they start running turn in to a drill sergeant.

"That's not how you run through a door!!! Do I look like I've got all day!!! Yore ma is in this next room and if you don't get your fat ass over here double time, I'm gonna be givin' it to her double time. Now move move move move move move you worthless sack!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

smokedeels wrote: »

Forkin brilliant.^:D

Whats this? Australians can be funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Forkin brilliant.^:D

Whats this? Australians can be funny!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Micallef_P%28r%29ogram%28me%29

Good show, the Paramount Comedy Channel used to screen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Some guy popping his automatic door cherry!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

That or when you let someone into your lane and they don't acknowledge you. grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Wompa1 wrote: »
    That or when you let someone into your lane and they don't acknowledge you. grrr

i seen a guy yesterday drive up along the outside lane past all the queue on the inside lane pretending he was going to turn off right and then switched his indicator to pull into the other lane after skipping all the traffic. the car he was trying to get in ahead of quickly pulled up and closed the gap and so did all the other traffic behind knowing he was been a Pr1ck trying so skip them all so in the end he had to turn right when more cars who were going right pulled up behind him. served him right hate people who try to do that

i also like holding door open when the fat guy behind u is a good bit away and he does that little kind of run to be polite to get tot the door :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

garv123 wrote: »
    i seen a guy yesterday drive up along the outside lane past all the queue on the inside lane pretending he was going to turn off right and then switched his indicator to pull into the other lane after skipping all the traffic. the car he was trying to get in ahead of quickly pulled up and closed the gap and so did all the other traffic behind knowing he was been a Pr1ck trying so skip them all so in the end he had to turn right when more cars who were going right pulled up behind him. served him right hate people who try to do that

i also like holding door open when the fat guy behind u is a good bit away and he does that little kind of run to be polite to get tot the door :D

Yeah that's Pr1ckish alright. A couple of times I've tried to switch lanes early on and not been allowed in with a roundabout behind me and have had to drive up, but I would never chance getting to the very top of the queue that's just cheeky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

Someone holds a door for you and you don't acknowledge it?

Die in a fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

It drives me mad when you hold a door open for someone and they don't say thank you. A little bit of being nice can go a very long way.

From my own experience, I found that women are more likely to be rude by not saying thank you or letting the door close when you are walking in right behind them. My wife also experienced this when she would be getting on the bus with a buggy. She said 80% of women would just push past you while most men would give you a hand.

Over all I think some people are just rude by nature but the vast majority are pretty much OK. Men and women both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

For Gentlemen
    - hold the door open, friendly smile to acknowledge any thanks received.

For pervs
    -Hold door open only for attractive women wearing skirts.
    As they pass, quick check boobs/eyes/waist-hip ratio then stare at their asses & fantasise briefly about whether they are going commando/waxed/wearing thong/stockings/suspenders. If they are good fantasy fodder then quit holding the door as soon as they pass through & follow them. Do this regardless of any others coming in, even if a bit of barging is required.

For chavs
    -hold door open only for people who look like they need it - elderly, slow-moving, mum with buggy, etc. Take all the goodness out of the gesture by burping/farting/picking your nose as they pass.

For Limerick Chavs
    - Same as for chavs BUT - At critical moment stun them by slamming the door HARD in their faces. Grab the handbag & run off gleefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I always do, as long as there is someone behind me of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

My friend got really upset because I held the door open for him the other day. Granted, he was in the passenger seat and we were driving at 60mph on the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

im very good with the whole thing of holding the door, like the gent that i am. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

Was strolling along in college today and i looked up ahead as a fella was coming out of the building i was just walking towards.

I was about 10m away and usually people would just open the door and walk on because by the time anyone would reach the door at that distance the other person could have walked on for 3 seconds or so.

Anyway this guy stopped, held the door open and waited until i got there :pac:

Thanks man :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I generally try to hold doors closed.

Advertisement