Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Jofspring wrote: »
    So I take it it isn't Del Arte like mentioned here. Sounds good though, seems more of a bakery/cafe than a shop.

Nor Zest as also mentioned. I believe the current operators of Del Arte may be involved

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Utilising the best aspects of Ivan's is a good idea. It's name and bakery were its most endearing properties to generations so kudos to whoever it is for continuing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Nor Zest as also mentioned. I believe the current operators of Del Arte may be involved

Same guy who had BBs franchise and then del arte has bought/secured lease so I'm sure it will be good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Utilising the best aspects of Ivan's is a good idea. It's name and bakery were its most endearing properties to generations so kudos to whoever it is for continuing this.

Better have fresh doughnut varieties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Opening soon in Limerick

My client is an award winning Food and Retail Multinational Company, operating nationwide in Ireland with over 90 locations and globally with an excess of 7000 stores. My client is recognized as being a value leader with strict quality standards that aims at delivering the best experience to the customer

Anyone know what this could be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Sign on the window of the old Copper & Spice looking for staff.
    Looks like another restaurant opening there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Any hints on the location?

Aldi I'd say, they have 7000 shops worldwide

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Aldi I'd say, they have 7000 shops worldwide

I doubt it's Aldi with an ad like that. They're already in Limerick and they don't have anywhere to open a new store in any time soon.

I doubt it's Aldi with an ad like that. They're already in Limerick and they don't have anywhere to open a new store in any time soon.

Was mentioned on here they are looking to build a shop where the Woodworkers store in Thomondgate was. The only other "value leader" it could be would be Lidl- but they seem to recruit directly rather than through an agency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Aldi usually advertise jobs on the back of their weekly magazines. Have they gone through agencies before?

Aldi seems the most likely. What are the other options?

Tesco (Doubtful as already all over Limerick)
    Dunnes (Doubtful as already all over Limerick)
    Lidl (Doubtful they are all over the city)
    Aldi (none on the Northside)
    Marks & Spencer's (Limerick is saved, hooray)
    Supervalu (a few in Limerick already, none on the Northside)

Barr Aldi and Lidl Id imagine none of the others have 7,000 stores worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Neither Aldi nor Lidl have planning permission for any new stores in the city.

Aldi did get approval to construct a new outlet in Newcastle West though. I assume this is under construction by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

International retailer with 90 locations in Ireland?! Surely we would have heard about it before

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Could it be Aldi

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/retailer-aldi-plans-90store-attack-on-irish-market-25947149.html

And from their website:

We're a leading global retailer and one of the world's largest privately owned companies with over 7,000 stores worldwide and continuing expansion throughout Europe, North America and Australia.

We opened our first store in Ireland in 1999. Since then have grown rapidly, opening over 70 stores here to date.

Two lads cleaned every single window on the Thomas Street Centre today and yesterday. I wonder if they have found a tenant or are they just making the place look presentable to potential tenants?

They're looking for expressions of interest apparently. Retail/cafe etc at basement, ground and first floor. Offices on the four upper levels.

It's a prime location. You'd think they should be able to entice a decent calibre of tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Put Javas back in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭moby2101

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    Put Javas back in it!

Here here!!
    Hot chicken sambo
    Hot chicken sambo
    Feck the water protests, we need Java's back

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Cajun sauce and cheese chip Mmmm! Oh and Death by Chocolate for afters!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

You'll all be glad to know that Limerick's original and best sex shop is to re-open on Ellen Street in spite of the City Council's efforts :D

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/sex-shop-reopens-despite-limerick-council-payoff-1-6410321

• Advertisement

Opening nextdoor to Laura Ashley on Henry Street is TechStar, they currently have a shop in Galway and do various PC repair things. Looks like it will be fairly professional... http://www.techstar.ie/

zulutango wrote: »
    You'll all be glad to know that Limerick's original and best sex shop is to re-open on Ellen Street in spite of the City Council's efforts :D

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/sex-shop-reopens-despite-limerick-council-payoff-1-6410321

The owners of Utopia were running an ecigarette shop across the road....think that's where they moved Utopia to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Opening nextdoor to Laura Ashley on Henry Street is TechStar, they currently have a shop in Galway and do various PC repair things. Looks like it will be fairly professional... http://www.techstar.ie/

I would hardly call their website professional though!

I was hoping for something a bit more exciting than a PC repair shop! :(

I thought that unit was zoned as a coffee shop/restaurant. :confused:

Disappointing indeed. The city centre needs more higher order/big name retailers and this seemed like a perfect unit and location for one of those.

We're still struggling to attract them it appears.

Vanquished wrote: »
    Disappointing indeed. The city centre needs more higher order/big name retailers and this seemed like a perfect unit and location for one of those.

We're still struggling to attract them it appears.

I think as long as a huge chunk of the middle class, spending demographic of Limerick live in the suburbs and surrounding countryside, the city centre will struggle to attract the big name retailers.

That is certainly a factor alright. But potentially an even more challenging issue right now is the widely held perception that Limerick city centre is somehow a highly inaccessible destination. And that once you somehow manage to navigate your way in there you won't be able to find a parking space. Or even if you do it's going to cost you an arm and a leg!

It's a flawed argument and an attitude that deeply irritates me but one that goes unchallenged all too often!

Yeah, the parking thing is a red herring.

There's other reasons why people won't come in too. Our streets are not very attractive, both in a visual sense and also in the sense that they aren't very pedestrian friendly.

If they've any sense, the Chamber of Commerce should really be pushing the council to get on with the planned public realm improvements.

Awww stop! I've been banging on about that issue ad nauseum!

I can't get my head around why in the first instance Limerick was so slow off the mark when it came to understanding the logic behind improving the urban environment. Even then when a strategy to implement such a programme was finally put together. The pace of implementation was and continues to be glacial!

The likes of Cork, Dublin and Galway have made far more progress in this regard and have continued to push on with streetscape improvements even through the recession. Yet we continue to arse around apparently more concerned with installing more pointless bollards, signs, traffic signals and other obstacles around the city centre!

It's almost 2015 and there's still no sign whatsoever of a comprehensive upgrade for our main street!

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »
    I would hardly call their website professional though!
    I was hoping for something a bit more exciting than a PC repair shop! :(

I thought that unit was zoned as a coffee shop/restaurant. :confused:

Well, I passed by the place today and glimpsed inside and it just looks as though they are going to a bit of effort with what they are doing with the unit rather than a quick slapdash solution, which is what I mean by professional.

Advertisement