Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

MrLaurel wrote: »
    http://www.nac.dk/about-us/

At it's height, GPA, when it was the largest Aircraft Leasing company in the World had approx 250 employees

Smaller industry back then though, afaik. Now you can fly anywhere in Europe cheaply and anywhere in the world (virtually) for a reasonable figure. That wasn't the case in the late 1980's.

But mainly I logged in here to say sodalicious is a genius name. I really hope they are massive success just for that pun alone. It would be even better if they opened a second cafe in Thomondgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Tefral

They're only taking the top 3 floors and 300 was the number quoted in the Leader. The whole building will be able to accommodate 700 when all floors are taken.

Correct. They signed the lease this week.

Pity the whole building is behind programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭topcat72

Planning to be applied for this week( if not already) to demolish the old Dawn Dairies premises on Clare Street to facilitate the new build of the Gaelcholáiste ( who are currently up by the Absolute/ barringtons. Another one of the long mooted developments in the city.
    Great location, I gather they hope to have access/ frontage from both roads ( Clare St and Pa Healy Road behind)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MrLaurel

They're only taking the top 3 floors and 300 was the number quoted in the Leader. The whole building will be able to accommodate 700 when all floors are taken.

I never stated the building would not accommodate 700 workers. I stated that I have my doubts that 700 office workers will be based there. I'm also well aware that it was the Leader that ran with the "300 workers" story.
    The other two floors are to be taken by a US FDI already based in the City who currently have approx. 80 - 90 workers already employed here.
    Hence my doubts 700 people will be working there.
    You are correct about the 700 workers but you would have needed one tenant for the entire building (a Northern Trust type) for that level of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

topcat72 wrote: »
    Planning to be applied for this week( if not already) to demolish the old Dawn Dairies premises on Clare Street to facilitate the new build of the Gaelcholáiste ( who are currently up by the Absolute/ barringtons. Another one of the long mooted developments in the city.
    Great location, I gather they hope to have access/ frontage from both roads ( Clare St and Pa Healy Road behind)

Access on Pa Healy Road would be preferable for a school as the Boys and Girls school up the road cause mayhem at drop off/pick up times as it is for traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Berty wrote: »
    Access on Pa Healy Road would be preferable for a school as the Boys and Girls school up the road cause mayhem at drop off/pick up times as it is for traffic.

Hopefully most of the kids will be able to walk or cycle to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Planning to be applied for this week( if not already) to demolish the old Dawn Dairies premises on Clare Street to facilitate the new build of the Gaelcholte ( who are currently up by the Absolute/ barringtons. Another one of the long mooted developments in the city.

Here's the Eplan link:

http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/18522/0

No scanned files up yet.

Edit: There is an exit (to nowhere) already on Pa Healy that faces in the direction of Dawn Dairies. I can't post the link but it's visible on Google Maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Here's the Eplan link:

http://eplan.limerick.ie/AppFileRefDetails/18522/0

No scanned files up yet.

Edit: There is an exit (to nowhere) already on Pa Healy that faces in the direction of Dawn Dairies. I can't post the link but it's visible on Google Maps.

i passed the dawn dairies this week and thought that was a great sight for development opportunity. A school there would be fantastic however it will be a nightmare for traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Is that an additional building to their current one or will they be moving entirely? Their current place would be a nice location for office space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

MilfordBud wrote: »
    Is that an additional building to their current one or will they be moving entirely? Their current place would be a nice location for office space.

They're moving entirely as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

Be even nicer apartment space close especially with the yard to the rear

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There's some sort of medical clinic moving into unit beside LaCucina on Henry st. There's a change of planning notice on the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭geotrig

Their current place would be a nice location for office space.
    sioda wrote: »
    Be even nicer apartment space close especially with the yard to the rear

well it was supposed to be used as one of those before the school took it over and had not been used to that point as far as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

zulutango wrote: »
    Hopefully most of the kids will be able to walk or cycle to school.

That would be nice but you and I both know that isn't going to happen.

There is a reason why there's so many obese children in Ireland. Getting chauffeured 5 yards to school by Mammy in her SUV is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Mc Love wrote: »
    There's some sort of medical clinic moving into unit beside LaCucina on Henry st. There's a change of planning notice on the window.

"medical clinic" limericks newest cafe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I suppose it's some sort of progress anyway. But as is so often the case, this is a seriously long-winded project. A purpose built facility is badly needed for a school with 600 or so students. LCETB has had possesion of the site since 2015 so I don't know what the delay is

I was initially hoping that the site would be developed in to a high density residential scheme. But at least this plan means that a large education facility remains in the city centre. Relatively speaking anyhow. Two large landbanks either side of Pa Healy road remain unused and should certainly be earmarked for high quality residential developments. A significant portion of that site has frontage to the Park Canal and walkway which should only increase it's attractiveness. We seriously need to see private developers investing in Limerick again.

The Dawn Dairies site doesn’t have canal frontage. It’s more canal adjacent. There is a narrow strip of land between the park and Pa Healy Road but there’s a pumping station on it.

Google Maps doesn’t show it clearly but the Eircode site gives a rough outline.

Site Eircode is V94 AP80
    https://finder.eircode.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The Dawn Dairies site doesn’t have canal frontage. It’s more canal adjacent. There is a narrow strip of land between the park and Pa Healy Road but there’s a pumping station on it.

Google Maps doesn’t show it clearly but the Eircode site gives a rough outline.

Site Eircode is V94 AP80
    https://finder.eircode.ie

I didn't say it has. I was referring to the large site between Pa Healy road and the Park Canal where a residential development was planned before the crash.

Pa Healy Rd
    Pa Healy Rd, Limerick

https://goo.gl/maps/P3bMS1dUZrJ2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

MrLaurel wrote:
    I spoke with someone who works there but they said that according to local gossip, Nordic Aviation is planning to create 300 jobs in Gardens International. If that's the case, they will more than double staff numbers in the entire company and 60% would be based in Limerick. The Limerick office would have more employees than the Head Office.......

Fake news no way Nordic are bringing that many jobs to Limerick.

Would be wary of building on canal side of Pa Healy road as its a flood plain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

kilburn wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There’s a new hardware/pound shop in Grove Island. Not sure if same shop that was previously next to Tesco Westbury. Similar stock on shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Petrol station on Lock Quay reopening as Top Oil, signs going up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Work going on in the café opposite the Hunt Museum. It's the place that did Mexican food till a couple of months ago, and before that was a vegetarian café.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

There's a new beauticians opening at the top of Henry St next to the internet cafe. Seems a bit of a strange spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Work going on in the café opposite the Hunt Museum. It's the place that did Mexican food till a couple of months ago, and before that was a vegetarian café.

I read who is opening in there but I forget it! It will come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

Louche Lad wrote: »

A well known chef is opening in there, v risky move as it seems not to have worked well over last years. No signage up, yet blocked up all windows, not a very good tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Glenomra

It will do brilliantly imo. the reason for recent failures at this premises was not due to the public. One initially served no meat, and consequently lost some prospective customers. Later, they put meat on the men and low and behold lost their existing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

kilburn wrote: »

Would be wary of building on canal side of Pa Healy road as its a flood plain

They have taken up two floors in the hanging gardens

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

Glenomra wrote: »
    It will do brilliantly imo. the reason for recent failures at this premises was not due to the public. One initially served no meat, and consequently lost some prospective customers. Later, they put meat on the men and low and behold lost their existing customers.

Each to their own, footfall is awful in the area, Nellys seem to have the tourist sector well and truly sewn up. I never like to see a place fail so I do hope it does well but quietly sceptical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Seriously! Is there anything opening in Limerick apart from pound shops and cafes? Limerick, from that monstrosity of buildings out near the parkway to the boarded up shops in Rutland/Patrick street must be the most decrepit city in the country.

Advertisement