Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Trout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

fisherking wrote: »
    yeah i agree i fish for seatrout too at night and caught a 5 pounder on a muddler 2 years ago and watching it swim off with the torch was memorable....

Jaysis that must have been some fish to swim off with your torch - was it one of those big 3 D-cell MagLites?:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Slasher wrote: »
    Good for you!!

Two anglers have landed 15lb salmon on Currane this month. Someone else got an 8.5 lb specimen trout.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.

And you have to be frustrated with the weather in this country. While i'm always on for a sunny day especially after the crap May we had , the sun decided to have a go on Saturday :mad: just the day i was havin all hopes on a specimen sea trout. So glorious sun + north winds were too much for us and we blanked miserably .... :(

typical every time you pass the door usually the heavens open and the day you need dull and breezy you don't have it !:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

hey could anyone reccomend a good river for a bit of sea trout fishing? would love to throw my hand at it but wouldnt even know where to start....

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Getting abck into fly fishing again after many years away, many a night I spent fishing in the pitch dark for brownies with bats flying around. Was an amazing experience when a sea trout caught the fly with a bang simply becasue I wasnt expecting it due to me having light gear for brownies :)

Forgive my stupidity and loss of memory but does a person need a salmon licence to catch sea trout or is it the same as wild brown trout? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

yes, you need a salmon licence to fish for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Any spinner recommendations for sea trout?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

mepps blue spots and gold mepps with red spots,black flying c

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tom7515

Seatrout wat a craic chasing em, especially at night, caught a lovely pound in a half on the fly rod monday, was fightin him for bout 10mins as i forgot my landing net. Caught a few 1/2 pounders spinning flies at night aswell, great sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

Two nice sea trout taken on the Slaney last night. Bought were caught on a Black Pennell which was the tail fly. Dropper was as always a Killdevil Spider. About a pound each which is about average down this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Fishing wet fly i take it...

• Advertisement

Fishing wet fly i take it...

Yes they are both wet flies and I always use wet flies when sea trout fishing as is the norm around my way. I know floating lures such as the muddler can account for some very nice fish but I have only read about it and have not encountered anyone using this tactic. The trout are attracted to the wake the lure makes as it is retrieved and then strike at the lure.
    Just in from fishing again tonight I released a 3/4 pound brown trout and a 3/4 pound sea trout again both taken with a Black Pennell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I have taken some very very nice seatrout on the muddler (or large skating flies). Its best used in two instances in my experience. Firstly, when the rout get a bit stale in the pools and dont seem to want to take anything. Secondly, those night where sea trout are hopping in the pools but wont touch any other fly. Two or three casts across the pool will tell you if it'll work. it no interest is shown, head home to your leaba

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I've never fished specifically for sea trout but have caught a couple of small ones on the fly fishing for brownies.
    I'm thinking of targeting them on the fly for the next couple of weeks starting this evening.
    Will the bit of rain and colour in the water help?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

Just saw some posts up on sea trout fishing on the slaney. Just to say all the water downstream of the N11 bridge is a private fishery (four miles) and the owner has go annoyed with people fishing there with no permission and people are being challenged and reported for prosecution. The first half mile of water above Scarawalsh on left bank (looking downstream) and also immediately below scarawlsh bridge on same bank is part of this private fishery.
    Be warned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I've never fished specifically for sea trout but have caught a couple of small ones on the fly fishing for brownies.
    I'm thinking of targeting them on the fly for the next couple of weeks starting this evening.
    Will the bit of rain and colour in the water help?

Yes it will :)

hooked my first sea trout of the year last night but lost him on a snag. feckin sick.never got another touch after that. it was a nice fish well over a pound..

Two sea trout landed tonight. A peak of activity about half 11 and very quite from then on till 12 at which point I called it a night. Lots of activity and several fish lost so omens are looking good down my end for another while, as there was fears the run may be tailing of, as it started very early this year. Some quite big trout knocking about also:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Saleen is a great spot for sea trout. Great Bass and Mullet there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

got my first sea trout during the week one of my mates got 3 the same night, great to see a few fish are making it up to tullow

Lots of fresh fish still coming in which bodes well for those of us fishing the Slaney. Landed two tonight and lost a few so its looking good for another while. I was fishing just above Enniscorthy so anglers further upstream can expect fresh fish over the coming days and weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

steve06 wrote: »
    Saleen is a great spot for sea trout. Great Bass and Mullet there too.
    where is saleen im lookin for decent spot for sea trout and mullet

slaneylad wrote: »
    got my first sea trout during the week one of my mates got 3 the same night, great to see a few fish are making it up to tullow

Is it ossible to get a day permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

it is possible, but i wouldnt bother the fishing is not that good, its just that its probally the best it has been for a few years. the club in tullow charge 30euro for a day ticket. compared to other rivers thats robbery. you should try the feale in late august/september if you want a days fishing

That is a bit steep, I will stick with the River Nore in Durrow for the mo'.

Thanks...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

SeaFields wrote: »
    I have taken some very very nice seatrout on the muddler (or large skating flies). Its best used in two instances in my experience. Firstly, when the rout get a bit stale in the pools and dont seem to want to take anything. Secondly, those night where sea trout are hopping in the pools but wont touch any other fly. Two or three casts across the pool will tell you if it'll work. it no interest is shown, head home to your leaba

Yesterday was first time I landed sea trout on dry fly, had one over 2lbs on a dry sedge, lost a very good fish that was considerably bigger, had a finnock, then a brownie of about 3lbs, all on the same fly.
    Had seen a pod of fish rising to small dries on a calm pool - was midday, bright sunny weather and flat calm, and nothing else was doing, so tied on a foam-bodied sedge size 14 and drifted it over them, had excellent sport for a half hour or so. The brownie fought harder than most grilse, and the sea trout gave a great account of itself too.
    I've landed hundreds of sea trout on wets, but yesterday was actually one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had with the silver boys. Will definitely give the dries a go again for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

I've sea trout fish for most of my life. Drys can be great fun. klinkhammers i find work best on a flat warm evening.;)

I caught probably my biggest sea trout this evening it was a little over 4lb..I caught it on a kill devil spider on the dropper. I am so happy ha ha. fish was released to fight another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Good man and in bed by 12 cinderella style job done!
    Killdevil spider... the slaney?
    I caught probably my biggest sea trout this evening it was a little over 4lb..I caught it on a kill devil spider on the dropper. I am so happy ha ha. fish was released to fight another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KilianK

Hi Sea Trout Fans,

I hooked three sea trout today (only landed one though - I'm not at this craic very long!). I was actually fishing for bass, on a lure, in the sea. I released the trout that I landed and didn't catch any bass.

What is the score with the rules when fishing river mouths? I'd like to go back to the same place for bass, 'cause I think it looks good. I've no intention of keeping any trout, but I might come across them again.

For my own conscience I know that if I catch more sea trout they will certainly be released, but I don't want to land myself in any trouble either. What ye recon?

Many thanks,

KK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

KilianK wrote: »
    Hi Sea Trout Fans,

I hooked three sea trout today (only landed one though - I'm not at this craic very long!). I was actually fishing for bass, on a lure, in the sea. I released the trout that I landed and didn't catch any bass.

What is the score with the rules when fishing river mouths? I'd like to go back to the same place for bass, 'cause I think it looks good. I've no intention of keeping any trout, but I might come across them again.

For my own conscience I know that if I catch more sea trout they will certainly be released, but I don't want to land myself in any trouble either. What ye recon?

Many thanks,

KK
    If you are deliberately fishing for sea trout anywhere in Irish waters, you need to have a state salmon license. If you are deliberately fishing for bass and you catch a sea trout by accident and you return it alive and unharmed you would not need a license.

Advertisement