Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Trout

Options
  • 16-11-2010 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭

Well lads I was looking for a thread that was dedicated to sea trout and their pursuit. I couldn't find one so I decided to start one.
    I am an experienced and keen young angler and I have caught salmon, browns and seatrout on a flyrod. I would without a doubt consider seatrout on a flyrod at night the ultimate fishing experience. I am engrossed in studying the works of Falkus and others about this topic. I mostly fish on the Slaney above and below Bunclody in Co Wexford. I want to hear your stories, experiences and lessons learned in their pursuit so I can build up my knowledge of them. Preferabley fly fishing but spinning and worming stories are most welcome. I look forward to your comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

There is a Salmon and Seatrout thread already on this forum, have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

Yes I saw that thanks for the heads up on that :) but I mean one dedicated entirely to sea trout and their pursuit. I think sea trout tend to get overlooked a bit in this country in favour of salmon. The sea trout is a facinating fish in its own right and deserves the utmost respect from anglers.

Good idea

I am afraid I have very little experience of Sea Trout & I only took up fly fishing last season.

I am sure some of the "Elder Lemons" :D will provide you with plenty of info, there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Tight Lines

You should really try your hand at it this summer if you can. There is no better feeling than fishing along a dark river at 2 am with only the otters to keep you company. Even if you do not catch there is a certain sense of freedom that I do not think you can get with othe types of angling.
    You will thank me some time in the future for showing you the light:D:D:D

Hmmm nighttime fishings kinda hard to do on shift work.
    Think ill stick to salmon for now but ill keep an eye on this thread
    Good Luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Welcome to the forum Blackstairsboy. :)

Yes my favorite pursuit of them all is seatrout by night.

Had a brief flick thru Falkus' books - prefer less theory, more practice. :D

Good luck with your thread, will try and contribute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

I fish them in an estuary where a river enters the sea on a beach. They love mackerel strips on a bait hook on a flattie rig. I also spin for them using a blue coloured Tasmanian devil works well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Very good idea to have a seatrout thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

yeah i agree i fish for seatrout too at night and caught a 5 pounder on a muddler 2 years ago and watching it swim off with the torch was memorable....

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

I have done a good bit of fishing on the Slaney in the last few years and this year even with some very high water there was a good run of sea trout.

I caught about 28 this year and all were released to fight another day.
    I see on this tread that people think it is only night time that you catch sea trout,I have caught more during the day than night time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

..... There is no better feeling than fishing along a dark river at 2 am with only the otters to keep you company ....

You didn't mention the MIDGES ! They keep us company too. :p

What have you caught them on during the daytime?
    iTom wrote: »
    I have done a good bit of fishing on the Slaney in the last few years and this year even with some very high water there was a good run of sea trout.

I caught about 28 this year and all were released to fight another day.
    I see on this tread that people think it is only night time that you catch sea trout,I have caught more during the day than night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

mepps 2 silver with blue spots

iTom its good to hear that you relesased all your trout. I try to do the same but I do occaisionly keep one for breakfast ;). Where abouts on the Slaney do you fish?

As for daytime sea trout fishing I have also caught quite a few trout in the early morning or on an overcast day. I always fish two flies a killdevil spider on the dropper and a black pennal or connemara black on the point. I find that this works well for me. I am open to new suggestions so share your favourite sea trout flies with us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

the sweeny todd for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gavgalway

going to try live sand eel in esterys round galway for sea trout next summer off kayak any one know any nice out of the way rivers with sea trout waiting around wonder would salmon take sand eel before they move into river.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

gavgalway wrote: »
    wonder would salmon take sand eel before they move into river.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

Well lads I was looking for a thread that was dedicated to sea trout and their pursuit. I couldn't find one so I decided to start one.
    I am an experienced and keen young angler and I have caught salmon, browns and seatrout on a flyrod. I would without a doubt consider seatrout on a flyrod at night the ultimate fishing experience. I am engrossed in studying the works of Falkus and others about this topic. I mostly fish on the Slaney above and below Bunclody in Co Wexford. I want to hear your stories, experiences and lessons learned in their pursuit so I can build up my knowledge of them. Preferabley fly fishing but spinning and worming stories are most welcome. I look forward to your comments.
    hi just to comment on the sea trout fishing on the slaney first of all there is no spinning or worming above enniscorthy bridge just fly fishing also most of the river is private or club run because of the salmon fishing ban most of the private fisherys are closed i do understand about young anglers hard to find fishing on it but if you join a club you have a better chance of learning more than books or on forums a lot of older fishermen dont go on line a simple chat to them will yeild results far more than here

I know a lot about the situation on the Slaney but thanks for the info. I have quite a bit of fishing along the Slaney about 3 miles in all. Most along Ballycarney but some above Bunclody also. I know what you mean about talking to old fishermen and that is how I have learned to fly fish. A fisherman who has fished the Slaney for over 50 years thought me how to flyfish and there is no doubt that you learn more in 5 minutes than you will learn in reading 5 books. I only ever fly fish for sea trout but I also welcome experiences of those who worm or spin for sea trout in smaller rivers or estuaries. The reason I started this thread was to share experiences and tips and general sea trout fishing talk. I am sure this thread will also be helpful for those who are new to the sport or fly fishing in general.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dody

Heres a fly called the Nebo Spider. A flydresser called Trevor Jones from wales says its one of the top flies on the slaney for seatrout and salmon. It looks simple to tie, a varnished holographic red tinsel body with a black swept back hen hackle on a size 10 - 12 hook. Hope to fish the slaney this coming season to catch my first seatrout .

• Advertisement

That's an interesting fly. I must try it out. I always use a killdevil spider on the dropper and it would not be too dissimilar to that. I tie the killdevil spider with dark furnace cock hackle and the body 2/3 peacock hearl and 1/3 flat silver tinsel. It is a very popular and productive fly on the Slaney. I will try and post a picture of one of my tying's tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

i agree no other fish like d sea trout.. last year i got my biggest sea trout on a fly called the silver doctor.. the fish jumped straight out of the water when he relised he was hooked. i nearly had a heart attack...i was so happy.. cant wait till d sea trout start runnin this summer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

have booked a week end on Lough Currane early June ;) going for the specimen ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

BoarHunter wrote: »
    have booked a week end on Lough Currane early June ;) going for the specimen ! :D

Good for you!!

Two anglers have landed 15lb salmon on Currane this month. Someone else got an 8.5 lb specimen trout.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.

Slasher wrote: »
    Good for you!!

Two anglers have landed 15lb salmon on Currane this month. Someone else got an 8.5 lb specimen trout.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.
    i know a 15 lbs salmon has been caught yesterday on the lake ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

BoarHunter wrote: »

My advice, book a guide, for the first day at least. We fished there last year and the guide, Tom O'Shea was brilliant, put us over fish all day long, even if we made a hash of catching them. Still ended up with a salmon and 9 sea trout, and my boat partner had 4 sea trout. Silver Invicta did the trick for me that day, worth having one in your fly box...

I'd agree with Zzippy. For the first day at least its worth the few bob to get to know the lake. I went out with a guide for my first two days there and have being going out on my own since. You'd get to know the lake fairly quickly.

I go every year with Neil O'Shea, his brother and can't recommend them enough. Very good ghillies and friendly. Lough Currane conservation is an exemple of what can be done on a local scale to encourage tourism and improve fish stocks.

He told me that a few years back they were looking for a fishery manager and did a request to the council for a grant to pay for the wage.... this was denied as not enough funds from the gouvernement. Only to know a while after that whatever minister from Kerry was sending a private jet back from Dublin to pick up his son to go to cheltenham ... the price of that would have been paying someone for at least a couple of years ....

they are very passionnate and helpful. I caught a nice 8lbs Salmon on the fly last year and a friend of mine caught a 8lbs sea trout the same day... magic day !

The Lough Currane fishery is a excellent example of what can be done when a few heads are knocked together. If you get a chance to go up and see their hatchery while your there, head up for a look. Its fantastic to see what they have done. Neil O'Shea might be able to bring you but John Murphy, the former fisheries manager, brought me and a buddy up for a look a few years back. All those potential specimens swimming around as finerlings in a pool. :)

• Advertisement

Caught my first seatrout of the year yesterday. Two small lads of about 12 inches. Saw a couple of other fish turn at the flies. All in the day time so guessing there was probably bigger fish there too lying tight to the bottom. Might be able to get out next week for a night session.

Advertisement