Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite moments in history

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

So, as the title suggests, what's your favorite moment in history? Here's mine.

On 12 April 1961, Yuri Gagarin became the first human being in outer space and the first to orbit the Earth. Seven years later, he died in an unfortunate accident when the MiG-15UTI he was flying went out of control and crashed. He is buried in the walls of the Kremlin.

I can't imagine the amount of courage it took to be the first man in outer space. It's a shame that he's not as well known as the likes of Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong. He helped pave the way for humankind to explore a new frontier and perhaps one day leave this world behind.

Joe Kittinger would kick Yuri in his stupid russian balls....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The rise of the Nazis.

Wtf else would the History Channel show? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The whole history of second world war always gripped me with so many key moements and events but if I was to pick one , the D-Day assault on Normandy which only for the bravery of so many could so easy have failed .

( have being watching for last 3 weeks watching the c4 series ' Apocalypse-the-second-world-war ' which has restored digitally colourised and evocative footage ,making it look all so much recent )

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/apocalypse-the-second-world-war

Also as previously mentioned , the Cuban missles crisis of 1962 when only for cool heads and clear minds the world might now be a completly different place to the one now .

The men landing on the moon and the events as they unfolded on that historic day in 1969

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The rise of the Nazis.

It would be full of stories about infrastructure projects and industrialisation. The CGI re-enactments would be rivetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Amazing how many Irish still adore the Nazis.

It's not our fault. It's just that they had the better uniforms and haircuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

ah sure, they're a great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Charles the Hammer

Redlion wrote: »
    ah sure, they're a great bunch of lads.

You certainly thought so. The way you welcomed them in, found them jobs, gave them homes.

Another sick episode in Ireland's history airbrushed out by the Billion dollar US-Irish PR campaign to paint you lot into 'loveable drunken rogues', instead of 'Nazi sympathisers with a penchant for terrorism'.

Mod note: Poster banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

You certainly thought so. The way you welcomed them in, found them jobs, gave them homes.

Another sick episode in Ireland's history airbrushed out by the Billion dollar US-Irish PR campaign to paint you lot into 'loveable drunken rogues', instead of 'Nazi sympathisers with a penchant for terrorism'.

Isn't there somewhere else you should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

awh that's classic, you actually thought I was serious :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Sykes, would you give it up already man. A broken record holds no patch on you in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Monday, December 3, 1990
    President Mary Robinson's Inauguration

After the misery of being a woman in Ireland during the '80 could not believe I'd lived to see the day a LIBERAL Irish Woman became President ... I think I was so happy I cried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I'm still waiting on thatcher to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The rise of the Nazis.

Sharks & dinosaurs, of course!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I do enjoy the history of the world wars as well as the cold war.
    Holocaust history is another interest of mine, which could be branched under world war two, but it's not a favourite moment in history.

Op, When I was really small I used to always ask my mum about Laika (the first dog in space) the story would always blow my mind, as when I was small I wanted to be the first child in space :rolleyes: ....I never was! :( A favorite go to story in history, but my mum never told me how she died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laika

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Redlion wrote: »
    you actually thought I was serious :rolleyes:

pro -israeli trolls arent the smartest;)

berlin wall coming down

the fall of communism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

The days where you could buy a bar of chocolate for 10p.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

01/11/10 The day Mary Harney got red paint thrown on her followed by my second favorite day 12/11/10 The day Mary Harney got eggs and cheese thrown at her

bonerm wrote: »
    It's not our fault. It's just that they had the better uniforms and haircuts.

The GI uniforms combats / M65 helmets , circa 1940's were boss

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Charles the hammer banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

<snip>
    Mod:Leave it. No point feeding the trolls. The poster has been banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

The Hungarian Revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Oh, so he's banned but the Nazi's get a free pass? Typical Irish! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Wednesday, 26th May 1999, Camp Nou.

The greatest & most important event in world history, bar none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

So, as the title suggests, what's your favorite moment in history? Here's.

As a avid reader.............. Johannes Gutenberg inventing the printing press.

Followed by Caesar crossing the Rubicon to kick some senate ass.

Wednesday, 26th May 1999, Camp Nou.

The greatest & most important event in world history, bar none.

Why ,what happened ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

I know he fought for Germany but was Rommel a Nazi?

Rommel was one of the most devoted Nazis of them all .

Your favourite moment in history?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

May 6, 1527. The stand of the Vatican Guard against Charles V's troops. The guard fought bravely and over 100 died to enable Pope Clement VI to escape. Fascinating story.

Also, end of WWII, changed the world completely forever.

Gulf War 1991. Military superiority at its best.

I've a few others, they're some.

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    Rommel was one of the most devoted Nazis of them all .

But he was looked up to even by his enemies? He disobeyed orders to kiull Jews and even tried to have Hitler killed

Advertisement