Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite moments in history

Options
  • 16-11-2010 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

So, as the title suggests, what's your favorite moment in history? Here's mine.

On 12 April 1961, Yuri Gagarin became the first human being in outer space and the first to orbit the Earth. Seven years later, he died in an unfortunate accident when the MiG-15UTI he was flying went out of control and crashed. He is buried in the walls of the Kremlin.

I can't imagine the amount of courage it took to be the first man in outer space. It's a shame that he's not as well known as the likes of Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong. He helped pave the way for humankind to explore a new frontier and perhaps one day leave this world behind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Mine (or one of them) would be the falling of the berlin wall/demise of communism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

mine would have to be all of world war two. not exactly a moment in itself but each part of that war was just more amazing than the last.the likes will never be seen again

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

So, as the title suggests, what's your favorite moment in history? Here's mine.

On 12 April 1961, Yuri Gagarin became the first human being in outer space and the first to orbit the Earth. Seven years later, he died in an unfortunate accident when the MiG-15UTI he was flying went out of control and crashed. He is buried in the walls of the Kremlin.

I can't imagine the amount of courage it took to be the first man in outer space. It's a shame that he's not as well known as the likes of Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong. He helped pave the way for humankind to explore a new frontier and perhaps one day leave this world behind.

Your favourite moment in history is when Yuri Gagarin died? Thats pretty sick man. You have some problems....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Mine was when Vinnie died on Home and Away...

Nah World War 2 amazes me too. History rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

October 4, 2363

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 RP Mc murphy

The bay of pigs, a triumph of the little man against imperialist dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When Lost finally ended

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Erwin Rommel AKA the Desert Fox, touring an allied military hospital during the second world war in North Africa. He thought it was in German hands and stopped off to have a look around the place in the middle of a major offensive. The staff and soldiers apparently mistook him for a Polish general and let him tour the place unchallenged and shake hands exchange pleasantaries with wounded Brits and New Zealanders etc. He promised them medical supplies and left. He kept his word and supplied the hospital.

He also had balls of steel to keep his cool when he realised his mistake and continue to swagger about as if he was without a care in the world. Can't help but give a chuckle at the thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

October 4, 2363
    The day they invented time travel, ah, I remember it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

November 5th 1955. Great day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I like the myth that Watson & Crick, after they discovered the structure of DNA, went to the local pub announcing they discovered the secret of life.

Must've been a hell of a piss up! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

July 19th. the day the ice age ended

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Hasselhoff singing in front of the Berlin wall when it came down, and the East Germans desperately trying to rebuild it behind him.

Morlar wrote: »
    Mine (or one of them) would be the falling of the berlin wall/demise of communism.

Interesting post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

When Collins and Griffith secured the treaty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

June 6, 1944
    Gaugamela (331 BC) - One of Alexanders finest moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

23 October-5 November 1942 The second battle of El Alamein was decisive as it was Rommel's first major defeat and limited German fuel supply for the rest of the war, allowing for Overlord and subsequent operations to be more effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

kiad wrote: »
    Your favourite moment in history is when Yuri Gagarin died? Thats pretty sick man. You have some problems....

But Gagarin wanted to eat the Smurfs....

Nodin wrote: »
    But Gagarin wanted to eat the Smurfs....

All except Smurfette. He had other plans for her ....

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

And not one mention for Packie Bonner saving a certain Daniel Timofte penalty tut tut:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The launch of the Voyager, and Pioneer 10 & 11, probes.
    Man landing on the Moon.
    Losing my virginity.

c_man wrote: »
    Losing my virginity.

I don't think you're allow pick dates from the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

bonerm wrote: »
    I don't think you're allow pick dates from the future.
    Post of the day right there!

Meowww :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

9,500BC,Beer was first brewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

when i found out eminem was bringing out recovery in june :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

October 4000BC. the day the earth was made

Exactly how it is now

by GOD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

July 2nd 1979

The day the funk died

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The day JFK took on those zombie hordes in the pentagon was another goodie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The birth of Robert Downey Jr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Charles the Hammer

prinz wrote: »
    Erwin Rommel AKA the Desert Fox, touring an allied military hospital during the second world war in North Africa. He thought it was in German hands and stopped off to have a look around the place in the middle of a major offensive. The staff and soldiers apparently mistook him for a Polish general and let him tour the place unchallenged and shake hands exchange pleasantaries with wounded Brits and New Zealanders etc. He promised them medical supplies and left. He kept his word and supplied the hospital.

He also had balls of steel to keep his cool when he realised his mistake and continue to swagger about as if he was without a care in the world. Can't help but give a chuckle at the thought of that.
    Amazing how many Irish still adore the Nazis.

Advertisement