Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTunes announcement tomorrow

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Wibbs wrote: »
    ... So maybe they've missed the big money boat.
    Possibly. Another complication all along was that certain rights to the Beatles back-catalogue were buried (no pun intended) in the estate of the late Wacko Jacko. I suspect this was the EMI / Parlaphone collection that he bought out many moons ago when he was flush with cash. Given the alleged degree of his indebtedness, some of his bankers might have viewed this as a way of rescuing some of their cash - collateral-wise there didn't seem to be much outside of his own music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

itunes was just updated.
    sl was just updated.
    why would they suddenly throw in streaming now?

Anyway - I was lookin at the itunes lp with art and videos included along with every studio beatle track for 149 euro - very nice.

you people do know who the beatles are right - you cant over-hype the beatles

... you cant over-hype the beatles
    +1 :D

Love is all you need, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Liked the Beatles - hated John Lennon. Like U2. Hate Bono. The Stones were way better. What a let-down of an announcement. As someone else asked, what's this 'cloud'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

whiterebel wrote: »
    Why, because you wet yourself with excitement?:p

Nope. Because like I already said, they over-hyped it:
    J-blk wrote: »
    I agree about the store going offline for maintenance and the media going into a hype frenzy is not Apple's fault but in this case, yes they can be blamed: they could have kept the page marketing at "an exciting announcement from iTunes tomorrow", but nope, they had to ramp it up to 11, with the BS about a "day you will never forget".

An "exciting" announcement would have been enough, it wasn't that big a deal after all. I don't mind Apple's whole hype machine and way of unveiling things most of the time, but this was a bit too much for too little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah lads.....................can you not just Let It Be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ah come on, J-bik. Hype implies they were doing a whole load of publicity about this. They weren't. There was a banner on the front page of their website for a day before the announcement. Okay, so the "another day you'll never forget" thing was a bit much, but we should be well used to this with Apple by now. Everything is "magical" or "amazing" or whatever. This is how Apple talks about everything - be it the next iPad or an Apple branded battery charger.

There is indeed an Apple hype machine, but Apple themselves have very little to do with it anymore. There is so much anticipation for Apple announcements that they don't have to to. They just send out a press release saying they are going to hold an event and the media and bloggers (and message board posters) take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

Freddie59 wrote: »
    As someone else asked, what's this 'cloud'?

I'm not 100% sure what 'cloud' will mean for itunes. But if I was to hazard a guess, it would mean that you could subscribe to a service on a yearly basis where you can stream any song that is on itunes straight onto your ipod touch/iphone/mac. Like the spotify service but bigger and available worldwide. Could apply to tv shows and movies on itunes too. So you could have an 8GB iphone and still have access Terabytes of music and listen to it live using your 3G or wifi connection. That's what I think it means anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Ah come on, J-bik. Hype implies they were doing a whole load of publicity about this. They weren't. There was a banner on the front page of their website for a day before the announcement. Okay, so the "another day you'll never forget" thing was a bit much, but we should be well used to this with Apple by now. Everything is "magical" or "amazing" or whatever.

I can let it be. For me (and others here), it was a totally BS hyped up statement over nothing. For you and others, it was not. Both views can co-exist :). I don't see why people have to defend Apple in this case and try to justify it to those who think it was over the top. I just didn't care for it at all and think they overdid it, but that's just my opinion (which I'm sticking to).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I thought companies or people were allowed to advertise whatever they want on their own website?

If the media hypes it - thats not Apples fault.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Like I said nice little earner...

http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10albums.html

Even though you would think the majority of Beatles fans would have the stuff already, these guys just keep on selling. Mad. Check out the amount of mop top album downloads already. Number one in quite a few countries and well represented in the top ten elsewhere.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    ... these guys just keep on selling. Mad. ...

Exceptional music will always sell well and good taste is never out of fashion, despite the Max Factor or whatever his name is with the funny trousers from Dagenham - he's from Dagenham, not his trousers.

Advertisement