Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Gaelicisation works, and when it doesn't

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

fontanalis wrote: »
    That was Yola wasn't it? I've read that the word yoke (as in all round thingy) comes from Yola, anyone know if that's true.

Yep, Yola was the language around Wexford, It was a dialect of Old English, Apparently there are still some speakers of it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Yep, Yola was the language around Wexford, It was a dialect of Old English, Apparently there are still some speakers of it there.

Wow - so thats what the Yola thing was all about .

Do you know any more about it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Here's a link to a recent rte radio show. Must get around to listening to it. I read on another website someones claim that this is from Belgae tribes settling in the area (possibly due to fleeing Romans in Britain).
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/radio-documentary-yola-language-wexford.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Here's a link to a recent rte radio show. Must get around to listening to it. I read on another website someones claim that this is from Belgae tribes settling in the area (possibly due to fleeing Romans in Britain).

Very interesting! Great listen, thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Yola, a dialect of Middle English, had nothing to do with Belgae, or any other Celtic group. It was the descendants of the English speakers who came over to serve the Normans, and ended up staying. Their version of English was eradicated in the same way as Irish was in the area, due to the same laws etc, when Modern English was being forced on all the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Johnmb wrote: »
    Yola, a dialect of Middle English, had nothing to do with Belgae, or any other Celtic group. It was the descendants of the English speakers who came over to serve the Normans, and ended up staying. Their version of English was eradicated in the same way as Irish was in the area, due to the same laws etc, when Modern English was being forced on all the people.

Yola has similarities to the form of English spoken during the Northern England during the Danelaw / Viking period when Northern England was subjected to Norse rule & settlement, & could have originally developed from Norse in Ireland. There was trading links between Wexford & Bristol from Viking times. The Normans when they occupied Wexford Town forced the town inhabitants southwards towards Forth & Bargy where the Yola language was spoken.

English refugees & exiles were present in Wexford from the Norman invasion of 1066 including the brother & sons of Harold Godwinson King of England, were allied with Diarmat Mac Mael Bo King of Leinster & High King of Ireland who aided English resistance against the Norman occupation for years afterwards with soldiers & use of ships to land forces.

Yola is not originally a dialect of Middle English although it might have been influenced by it at a later date. Yola also has Irish, Flemish, Welsh & Norman French words included in it's lexicon. It is considered a separate branch of the West Germanic branch of languages from English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Johnmb wrote: »

That's what I thought too, I just thrw the Belgae comment in there to see what people would say as it's something I've read a couple times on another forum (by someone who is into the idea of the belgae and p celtic speaking people in ireland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Yola has similarities to the form of English spoken during the Northern England during the Danelaw / Viking period when Northern England was subjected to Norse rule & settlement, & could have originally developed from Norse in Ireland. There was trading links between Wexford & Bristol from Viking times. The Normans when they occupied Wexford Town forced the town inhabitants southwards towards Forth & Bargy where the Yola language was spoken.
    Most explanations I've seen regard it as having been brought over by the English who came over with the Normans, and is most like the Middle English spoken in south west England, not the Danelaw.
    English refugees & exiles were present in Wexford from the Norman invasion of 1066 including the brother & sons of Harold Godwinson King of England, were allied with Diarmat Mac Mael Bo King of Leinster & High King of Ireland who aided English resistance against the Norman occupation for years afterwards with soldiers & use of ships to land forces.
    Diarmait was not the High King of Ireland. There was never a High King of Ireland.
    Yola is not originally a dialect of Middle English although it might have been influenced by it at a later date. Yola also has Irish, Flemish, Welsh & Norman French words included in it's lexicon. It is considered a separate branch of the West Germanic branch of languages from English.
    Again, any reading I've done on this has said the opposite. Yola is clearly placed in the Anglic (sub?)family of languages, and the other languages are said to have possibly influenced it at a later date, although checking the internet (I've no current access to the books) there is little evidence for that.

Advertisement