Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good journalists?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Con Houlihan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

cson wrote: »
    Mary Kenny.

Why is she wearing a turban in her profile picture in the Indo?? http://bigmentaldisease.com/dumb-media/perhaps-its-just-me/

Marina Hyde and Charlie Brooker are the only journalists whose stuff I look up online. I live Private Eye, so I guess Ian Hislop and his team are high up on my list too.

I really don't like Irish journalism or papers. I laugh at people on here who think the Irish media is 'left-wing', seriously If you thing the Sindo et al are left, then you obviously don't understand what being left means.

I loved The Slate and Mongrel when they were around. I liked Eoin Butler a lot in the past but not so much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pupito

Patrick Freyne's tv review in the Tribune is the first thing I read on a Sunday. As soon as I can find it ("oh, it's in some sort of magazine this week, that'll last all of a month"), that is. All the better if he's doing an interview as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Johann Hari in The Independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

The one's who told us 5 years ago that we were walking headlong into a ****estorm.The one's we laughed at and ignored.The one's that didn't get their own shows on RTE.

The ones who said buying a house was in fact the wrong thing to do.

The ones who pointed out that despite our increased spending and "tiger" economy,economic growth was already in decline as far back as 03.

The one's we refused to believe because they weren't saying what we wanted to hear.

Now, what are their names?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Eamonn Mallie is very good on the Northern stuff.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Tom Humphries is more like an artist than a journalist. The finest sports writer in Ireland today. He blends graceful writing with a sharp memory and a deep knowledge and love of Irish history - all of which make his GAA articles an art form. He does for print what Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh does for radio and TV: he makes you feel you're in that place he has just created with his interpretation.

He can also be merciless and unpopular, à la his articles analysing Michelle Smith de Brun's swimming times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Ireland needs it's own version of Matt Taibbi.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/matt-taibbi
    Didn't Myers fall for that ridiculous creatonist book by some Turkish author?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Tom Humphries is more like an artist than a journalist. The finest sports writer in Ireland today. He blends graceful writing with a sharp memory and a deep knowledge and love of Irish history - all of which make his GAA articles an art form. He does for print what Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh does for radio and TV: he makes you feel you're in that place he has just created with his interpretation.

He can also be merciless and unpopular, à la his articles analysing Michelle Smith de Brun's swimming times.

He Used to be all those things and is now so far up his own backside that I have moved from the cringing when I read him to the can't read him at all anymore stage and is being swiftly followed by Liam Hayes:mad:

I rate:

Sean Moran
    Fintan o'Toole
    Sarah Carey
    AA Gill
    Brian Appleyard
    Kathey Sheridan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement