Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good journalists?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Charlie Brooker

Vincent Browne

Im just about stumped after them two

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Myers is the only one with the BALLS to tell it like it is ...he is on the money 90% of the time.

Vincent Brown is the only other to come near him in staring down the foookoos in the FF party and going after the sacred cows of Irish Society.

Who for instance is going to call those cnunts in the Universities to task for their shameless self agrandisment and blatent nest feathering.

Who CONTROLLS these fookoos...how do they get away with it ...somebody is failing to do their job.

Who will kook arter our interests..the interests of John Q Taxpayer !!

Its a disgrace a fcukin disgrace...aploogies for the language but it makes me so fcukin maaaaddd

The only criticisms i've ever seen Myers make of FF were as part of his endless, running 'you bloody stupid, corrupt Irish, blah, blah, blah,' witterings; he damn's pretty much every other aspect of Irish political and social life in the same manner.
    There is certainly a lot to criticise but he doesn't bring anything constructive or 'journalistic' to the task.
    Never saw him write anything prescient regarding the situation we find ourselves in today; in fact he became a bit of a FF fan during the Celtic Tiger as he thought its 'success' was due to Thatcherite economic policies and that he could use this to admonish the 'bloody stupid Irish' for ever having doubted her.
    As with much else of his work, he was talking/writing through his hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Who the **** is Alison O'Riordan? She's talked about here constantly and I honest to **** have no idea who the hell she is!

Google(or in this case the forum search facility) is your friend

:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

ascanbe wrote: »
    The only criticisms i've ever seen Myers make of FF were as part of his endless, running 'you bloody stupid, corrupt Irish, blah, blah, blah,' witterings; he damn's pretty much every other aspect of Irish political and social life in the same manner.
    There is certainly a lot to criticise but he doesn't bring anything constructive or 'journalistic' to the task.
    Never saw him write anything prescient regarding the situation we find ourselves in today; in fact he became a bit of a FF fan during the Celtic Tiger as he thought its 'success' was due to Thatcherite economic policies and that he could use this to admonish the 'bloody stupid Irish' for ever having doubted her.
    As with much else of his work, he was talking/writing through his hole.

A little like yourself pal ...if I may make that observation.

I have read Myers extensively and frankly what you are implying is a load of Balls.

Thatcherite economic policies ?

The fcukin problem pal is that the gombeen men in FF and their nod and wink friends from the Galway Tent had not sufficient principles to make ANY policies work..let alone Thatcherite ones,

Just look at them ? Heavy testosterouned fuelled gimps with balls the size of footballs ...fuelled by naked avarice and greed.

Cnunts will fight like rats and hide behind their equally avaricious wives to hold on to their ill gotten wealth.

Root them out i say ....root out that cnunt Aherne from whatever cupboard he is hiding in and make them accountable.

Mick Neary is reported to be having a great time in the Carrib...mmm ?

Fingers is reported to be sunning heself in Porto B....

Davy is in a palatial pad on the cape....me I'M payin for these cnunts ....an my kids and grand kids .

Rum deal innit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Willie O'Dea, one of the finest and most honest journalists ever....

• Advertisement

A little like yourself pal ...if I may make that observation.

I have read Myers extensively and frankly what you are implying is a load of Balls.

Thatcherite economic policies ?

The fcukin problem pal is that the gombeen men in FF and their nod and wink friends from the Galway Tent had not sufficient principles to make ANY policies work..let alone Thatcherite ones,

Just look at them ? Heavy testosterouned fuelled gimps with balls the size of footballs ...fuelled by naked avarice and greed.

Cnunts will fight like rats and hide behind their equally avaricious wives to hold on to their ill gotten wealth.

Root them out i say ....root out that cnunt Aherne from whatever cupboard he is hiding in and make them accountable.

Mick Neary is reported to be having a great time in the Carrib...mmm ?

Fingers is reported to be sunning heself in Porto B....

Davy is in a palatial pad on the cape....me I'M payin for these cnunts ....an my kids and grand kids .

Rum deal innit ?

I don't disagree with much of what you have written there.
    But i do think your barking up the wrong tree if you think Myers 'journalism' went far beyond general carping.
    If you wanted actual, forensic uncovering and condemnation of the corruption endemic in FF in the last decade and more, then Fintan O'Toole would be your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

For both interesting and humorous pieces I really like Marina Hyde and Charlie Brooker. (They both write for The Guardian.) Otherwise, I find John Pilger's reports and documentaries incredibly interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

ascanbe wrote: »
    I don't disagree with much of what you have written there.
    But i do think your barking up the wrong tree if you think Myers 'journalism' went far beyond general carping.
    If you wanted actual, forensic uncovering and condemnation of the corruption endemic in FF in the last decade and more, then Fintan O'Toole would be your man.

Yes I agree FO'T is a fine journalist and a competent media pundit.

What has he achieved though apart from a dubious "headbanger" image,

He may be forensic, he may be uncovering , he may be condemming but what the fcuk has changed ?

Answer me that one .....

Yes I agree FO'T is a fine journalist and a competent media pundit.

What has he achieved though apart from a dubious "headbanger" image,

He may be forensic, he may be uncovering , he may be condemming but what the fcuk has changed ?

Answer me that one .....

Not much, it would seem.
    Can't condemn him for that, though; if there were more like him, maybe something would've changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Myers is the only one with the BALLS to tell it like it is ...he is on the money 90% of the time.

....emmm, not as far as I've seen, no. He uses inaccuracies and omissions of fact to back his own rants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭cson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Richard Littlejohn writes some fantastic stuff for the Mail

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Shane Ross isn't bad at highlighting corruption and double standards.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Robert Fiske and John Pilger. Granted, they're both more foreign affairs and conflict journalists, but they seem extremely informed in their areas of expertise and you don't catch them regurgitating crap off the newswires or other journalists.

Irish journalists? Meh. They're all irritating in their own way. I do enjoy Dave Kenny's column pieces in the Sunday Tribune though, very witty altogether.

Eamonn McCann is good as well, really hits the nail on the head at times.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

mojesius wrote: »
    Robert Fiske and John Pilger. Granted, they're both more foreign affairs and conflict journalists, but they seem extremely informed in their areas of expertise and you don't catch them regurgitating crap off the newswires or other journalists.

Irish journalists? Meh. They're all irritating in their own way. I do enjoy Dave Kenny's column pieces in the Sunday Tribune though, very witty altogether.

I have reservations about Fisk. I find him to be very biased.
    Perhaps I am missing the point as he is a conflict journalist but he seems to focus completely on the injustices commited by the Israelis, which are obviously abundant. But when he was reporting on the drama between themselves and the Lebanese a few years back there was no mention of the Israeli soldiers kidnapped through a tunnell if I remember correctly, which initiated that new conflict.

I'm no fan of the Israeli actions but I do like to see a non-biased reporting that examines wrongs on each side

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Caoimhín is misguided, although I still laugh - not just smile - when I think of his unforgettable rant with George Hook earlier this year calling some lad a "gobshíte" and "arsehole" because, well, read the thread!

He's still the supertroll of Irish media. He even beats Eoghan Harris's quotidian emotionally unstable whinge. Nobody can touch Kevin ... although many would like to very, very hard.

Fintan O Toole is a perceptive columnist and superb at digging up the history behind issues in public life. His article about Mary O'Rourke's claim that anybody who criticised Bertie Ahern was guilty of 'treason' was badly needed. Having said that, he fundamentally misjudged the entire immigration/multiculturalism issue, and has made an apology about some of his mistakes in that regard, albeit a very belated apology.

Ireland badly needs a Public Inquiry body similar to those which exist in the US. Chuck Feeney financed one a few years ago but Michael McDowell and Independent Newspapers didn't take too kindly to it and got it closed down promptly.

I'm surprised that some prominent person in society has not proposed establishing another one. It could be one of the best things to be established in Ireland. We'd also get a return to investigative reporting in Ireland, something which is all but lost except for Donagh Diamond and a few others on Prime Time and maybe Carl O Brien in The Irish Times.

Independent Newspapers is ineffably bad when it comes to journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I have reservations about Fisk. I find him to be very biased.
    Perhaps I am missing the point as he is a conflict journalist but he seems to focus completely on the injustices commited by the Israelis, which are obviously abundant. But when he was reporting on the drama between themselves and the Lebanese a few years back there was no mention of the Israeli soldiers kidnapped through a tunnell if I remember correctly, which initiated that new conflict.

I'm no fan of the Israeli actions but I do like to see a non-biased reporting that examines wrongs on each side

You have a point, he is very anti-Israeli and maybe doesn't reflect their side enough. But, I admire him because he's the only journalist consistently commenting on the illegality of the Iraq war to date and he doesn't hold back. Pilger's quite similar, I found his early documentaries on Vietnam and Cambodia fascinating.

I suppose its their exposition of wrongdoings by Western powers that I find interesting, and sure, they sometimes come across as politically-motivated in what they choose to cover and what they leave out of the discussion. It may be a chicken-egg scenario, but I think their views are shaped more by what they have gradually uncovered over the years in the field, as opposed to a desire to promote some sort of leftist agenda via their journalism.

I certainly find their pieces far more engaging than rehashed crap in the Irish world news pages, bought from the same reporter in Reuters or AP.

K-9 wrote: »
    Shane Ross isn't bad at highlighting corruption and double standards.

Are even half of the rumours connected to Ross's private life true, or is it a sign he's so good at digging up the dirt on "vested interests" that he inspired these rumours?

The fact that he works in Independent Newspapers doesn't bode too well for his ethical standards, in my view.

• Advertisement

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Are even half of the rumours connected to Ross's private life true, or is it a sign he's so good at digging up the dirt on "vested interests" that he inspired these rumours?

The fact that he works in Independent Newspapers doesn't bode too well for his ethical standards, in my view.

Haven't heard of any rumours. I'd say there is plenty of motive out there to get at him.

I'd read him online from time to time. Appears to be the exception to the rule to me. Wouldn't agree with his politics often, McCann would be similar in that respect but on the other side, but I respect their opinions and integrity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Fintan O'Toole - yes, he may be a "pinko leftie" but what he has to say makes a lot of sense and his material is well researched.

Martina Devlin - very insightful and really cuts straight to the gist of her stories. One of the very very few decent journalists working for the Indo.

Paul Cullen - doesn't write as much as he used to. I recall his material in the 90s and early 2000s to be top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Richard Littlejohn writes some fantastic stuff for the Mail

Easily the world greatest guttersnipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I like reading Michael Clifford in the Tribune.

Paul Kimmage and his investment in hounding Lance Armstrong is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Vincent Hogan and Martin Breheny are good for hurling coverage. Derek Foley is a good read for rugby in the star. I've given up buying newspapers though because they're mostly muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Imo kevin myers, fintan o toole, gene kerrigan, I am sure there are a few more but i dont read the papers as much as i did as i tend to be reading the threads here, much more informative :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CFPD

I stopped reading the Sunday Independent when Celia Larkin started writing for them.......... Seriously..... Do I need that crap she spouts out with my morning coffee??!

Its all about who you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Good
    Bruce Arnold
    Geraldine Kennedy

Used to be good
    Kevin Myers
    Gene Kerrigan

Brilliant
    Tom Humphries

Dire
    Anybody that writes for a red-top.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I like Fintian o Toole....i also like Newton Emmerson and Roisin Ingel although i am not sure if the last two count as journalists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

AA Gill
    Charlie Brooker
    David Mitchell - his opinion column in the Observer is shrewd, astute and beautifully written

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement