Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Senator Ó Brolcháin - Boards.ie responsible for public hysteria over recession

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sand wrote: »
    Its seems the people of this country have lost the confidence of the government.

Maybe the Government should elect a new public who are more positive ;)

So basically this Senator is against people expressing their views on open websites and discussion boards. That is hardly a very democratic position now is it?

As someone has already stated he is giving us another excellent reason to bin the Seanad which is a good thing I suppose. Maybe the good senator can come onto boards like his party colleague did to explain and debate his position against some of our regular contributors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

OisinT wrote: »
    I agree. The amount of crazy, uninformed, B.S. posts and threads in AH is almost unbelievable.

Yes but isnt thaty people just spaking aloud what they are thinking? Is it any different from what is being discussed in pubs and supermarkets up and down the country?

We live in strange times. What seemed far fetched a couple of years ago is actually happening....You can't discount anyones opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭cbreeze

He does have a point about those who come on here purporting to represent "the people" like the post above . . .

How many threads have we had on here calling for a revolution on the streets on behalf of "the people" . . Actions speak louder than words and the people clearly don't want revolution.

Red paint on the fianna fail front door, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Askabout money is a bad example

they do actively stiffle discussion (with the owner being a FF puppet) and are still over-positive (well since anything negative gets removed) on everything

The bould Brendan Burgess had a right go at Eddie Hobbs last week. Deleted all the posts that quoted him though :confused:
    Maybe some rivalry or something between them

It's not a bad site for quick advice on some things. Maybe a technical question on mortgages or something.
    And some posters for a laugh and a joke over the topic of the day. It's nearly all positive though, you won't see much negative there at all.

But certainly not where you'd go for discussion. Lots of things get locked, not for rants or personal abuse but the owner doesn't agree with it.

Their site, their rules I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

The thing that he so clearly fails to understand is that boards.ie can't create hysteria amongst the public because it is the public and is merely reflecting the general mood of the people. Sure some are angrier than others but that is just the way society is at the moment.

Politicians squandered the biggest boom in the countries history and people are angry and hysterical because they were lied to and now we all face a very uncertain future with a government that is undemocratically refusing to have by-elections because they know they will be thrown out of power. We may have voted in FF but it is the Greens that are propping them up so if anyone should be taking blame for the hysteria, it is them and not boards or any other bogeyman that they don't understand and want to take a dig at in an attempt to deflect criticism from themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

He does have a point about those who come on here purporting to represent "the people" like the post above . . .

How many threads have we had on here calling for a revolution on the streets on behalf of "the people" . . Actions speak louder than words and the people clearly don't want revolution.

Which "post above" are you talking about ? There are a few posts above yours saying much the same thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

This is exactly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Clearly, we could do with some WW2 vintage décor, or an update thereof.

3542013327_449bbefddc.jpg

Discussion forums certainly can suffer from groupthink, and as a result can be prone to hysteria. I'm not particularly keen on the whole hysteria thing here, and I don't think we get a lot of it either, but AH admittedly has a lot, and politics.ie seems to actually have some kind of perpetual hysteria machine (possibly bought from Steorn). The negativity and the uncertainty are a perfectly fair reflection of the mood of the country, though, and it's ridiculous to think that we should try to act as some kind of "positivity generator" on behalf of the government.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

murphaph wrote: »
    Looking at that video it really saddens me................that the Irish electorate returned that man and his party to government so many times :(

Wasnt that video taken with a roomful of union'ists (of the trade racketeering kind)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Wasnt that video taken with a roomful of union'ists (of the trade racketeering kind)
    Yup, kidred spirits I suppose. All guffawing at his suicide remark like the overgrown children they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Right that's it, off to Siberia with you or the Irish equivalent, Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Byron85 wrote: »
    Right that's it, off to Siberia with you or the Irish equivalent, Carlow.

I wouldn't compare Carlow with Siberia. Ones an isolated hell hole in the middle of nowhere where people who fall out of avour with the totalarian estabelishment are sent. The others in Russia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I'm in and out of peoples houses everyday and everyone is p1ssed off and dreading the budget.

The only people in hysterics are the government ,on their high wages :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

As distinct from those who are elected to represent "the people" and then refuse point-blank to do so ?

Not only that, but they are paid a small fortune to represent "the people" and STILL refuse to do so.

Actions do speak louder than words, which is why the government lies and spin are no longer believed.

Of course, if the esteemed Senator actually bothered to read people's concerns and actually do his job and take them on board instead of dismissing them, then he might actually be worth his inflated salary and expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

let him talk crap all he wants, without Boards we wouldnt know the half of what the politicians are doing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

charlemont wrote: »
    let him talk crap all he wants, without Boards we wouldnt know the half of what the politicians are doing..

I think that is the point...... they don't like Joe soap knowing what they are doing .... Or to be more precise. What they are not doing..

At least the greens will not have a protracted death like the PDs. they will be wiped out instantaneousness l y after the next election... the simple reason being they have shown no dept or courage. FF ate them alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Nodin wrote: »
    Haven't been over the other place in a while, but certainly here is no worse than the mood generally.....If the dear senator was here I'd like to see the threads linked to, tbh.
    He is very much correct about Politics.ie, which takes the hysteria and vitriol to a whole new level.

He is very much correct about Politics.ie, which takes the hysteria and vitriol to a whole new level.

Are the posters in Politics.ie less entitled to their opinion than us?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Peopleare extremely angry but it's disorganised anger curbed by an overwhelming worry about what each of us has left along with a frustration that almost equals learned helplessness that has so far prevented violent riots. There is plenty of sense spoken on boards and many good debates but amongst the rational debate there are people venting and rightly so - this may come across as hysteria but the senator should count his lucky stars that Irish people have these conduits to express themselves rather than venting their anger on the streets, smashing up banks and storming the Dail where men like him, in such a scenario, would likely get a brick to the face.

Is that suggestion that many may want to physically punish the political class (as there has been an absence of all other accountability so far) hysterical enough for you Niall?
    I wasnt initially in favour of a general election up until about a month or so ago.

but i now think it's important to use the democratic mechanisms to allow people have their say.

if they vote in labour or FG or whatever, so be it.

but at least we've been given an opp to input.

i mean that's what democracy is supposed to be about FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

That's exactly what I said :rolleyes:

If Ó Brolcháin is so concern about the people - why doesnt he demand an election?

you know, like in a ****ing democracy!

(end of emotional rant (honest)

That's exactly what I said :rolleyes:

Are they not Irish?

ArtSmart wrote: »
    If Ó Brolcháin is so concern about the people - why doesnt he demand an election?

you know, like in a ****ing democracy!

(end of emotional rant (honest)

The only reason is fear..... on the whole I think they are decent folk but the old saying " when you lay with dogs, you catch flee's" is well used describing the green party agenda and its current disposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

He used his position as mayor of Galway to lodge an official objection to the vitally important Galway bypass, using official mayoral headed paper. The man is a menace to common sense, thankfully hasen't a hope of ever getting elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It is exactly because of many of the opinions, that many deride the site!

I subscribe to the RSS feed over there because it is a great source for political stories, better than Boards in that respect, but very rarely go past the first page of threads.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The only reason is fear..... on the whole I think they are decent folk but the old saying " when you lay with dogs, you catch flee's" is well used describing the green party agenda and its current disposition.

I'm actually a fan of the greens (overall) but that's not my point.

what i mean is, if shiit is going to happen, let us at least have our voice.

and once an for all (well a few years) clarify the situation.

there's too much distraction at the moment with the ploiticking bullshiit

ArtSmart wrote: »
    I'm actually a fan of the greens (overall) but that's not my point.

Here's you brother, but the greens have shown their true color......... yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

paulaa wrote: »
    Which "post above" are you talking about ? There are a few posts above yours saying much the same thing ?

The one I quoted, where you were representing "the people". For the record, I have no problem with posting criticism or complaint, however vitriolic it might sometimes get but I do take issue with those who (without any mandate whatsoever) claim to represent the "man on the street"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Actions do speak louder than words, which is why the government lies and spin are no longer believed.

Of course, if the esteemed Senator actually bothered to read people's concerns and actually do his job and take them on board instead of dismissing them, then he might actually be worth his inflated salary and expense.

His job is to represent all of the people, not just the boardsies. It is conceivable that he reads your concerns, takes them on board but disagrees with them ?

Advertisement