Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw Food Diet

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EthicRanger

http://greensmoothiesblog.com/green-smoothies-for-pets/

Does anyone has good blender like VitaMix or Blendtec to do job on natural food for pets?

Also If you agree, that we should treat ourselves equally or better than hour pets or cars, so join us http://sn.im/IrishRawFood
    I'm wondering what percentage of raw are discussion members themselves?

The group creator has intention to provide info about BARF, but it never happened, so, if somebody would like to join and get information, meet sometimes, ye join us.

Thanks Cormie (VanTasks.ie) for attention on this

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

http://greensmoothiesblog.com/green-smoothies-for-pets/

Does anyone has good blender like VitaMix or Blendtec to do job on natural food for pets?

Also If you agree, that we should treat ourselves equally or better than hour pets or cars, so join us http://sn.im/IrishRawFood
    I'm wondering what percentage of raw are discussion members themselves?

The group creator has intention to provide info about BARF, but it never happened, so, if somebody would like to join and get information, meet sometimes, ye join us.

Thanks Cormie (VanTasks.ie) for attention on this

off topic???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

dahat wrote: »
    tbh,dump the kibble,different digestion times..........will only create stomach problems.never ever feed both in same meal,never.
    then it a a variation of raw.......

Thanks Dahat - should it be chopped and mixed or minced together?

Any advice as to the various component amounts - like 80% tripe and so on? How much greens?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cappaquin price list

Necks 0.88/kg 15 kilo box
    Carcass 0.61/kg 15kilo box
    Liver 8.80 per 2.25 kg tub
    Hearts 7.48 per 2.25kg tub
    Breast on bone 1.65 each,30 in a box
    Things(thighs,?) 16.50 per box,50 in box
    Drumsticks,raw 28.05/box,85 per box

just got this list today so posted it just in case anyone needed it.

When we moved to West Cork; we found Shannonvale Foods near Clonakility... Ten k packs of chicken necks for E3 and legs for E6 for 10 k.. wingds for E4 for 10 k. The dogs and cats get very well fed now and so do we. They all make excellent soup and the dogs and cats eat that too for the vegetables. Butchers here will give meaty scraps and bones also.

did land a few scraps from butchers but they tended to be very fatty really.

i find the lamb hearts extremely good valuue,will often buy a large piece of pork if it on special in supermarket for em.
    going to look into buying meat from the farmer as in,half lambs etc.seen 20kg of pork advertised for 90 euro direct from farmer.just soak it in water twice to remove salt content before serving.
    It is best to vary meats as much as possible,i found when my dogs got alot of chicken they tended to lose weight as it is a very lean meat

• Advertisement

did land a few scraps from butchers but they tended to be very fatty really.

i find the lamb hearts extremely good valuue,will often buy a large piece of pork if it on special in supermarket for em.
    going to look into buying meat from the farmer as in,half lambs etc.seen 20kg of pork advertised for 90 euro direct from farmer.just soak it in water twice to remove salt content before serving.
    It is best to vary meats as much as possible,i found when my dogs got alot of chicken they tended to lose weight as it is a very lean meat

Collie needs to lose weight; she was half starved for her hearly years and her metabolism is still crazy.. and the butcher's scraps add the fats she needs. Chicken skin as on legs and wings is fatty too.. the necks are perfect for her too. Pork still should always be cooked.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Collie needs to lose weight; she was half starved for her hearly years and her metabolism is still crazy.. and the butcher's scraps add the fats she needs. Chicken skin as on legs and wings is fatty too.. the necks are perfect for her too. Pork still should always be cooked.

from my research online once pork is produced to human standards it is fine..i may or may not be wrong. dogs have a far better system to deal with bugs than we have.intestinal tract is far shorter,stomach ph is far higher so not a good place for bugs.I never had a problem with raw pork.
    Chicken necks are the bomb though alot more bone than meat so i tend to avoid other boned chicken.Bone in the neck is sufficent.

from my research online once pork is produced to human standards it is fine..i may or may not be wrong. dogs have a far better system to deal with bugs than we have.intestinal tract is far shorter,stomach ph is far higher so not a good place for bugs.I never had a problem with raw pork.
    Chicken necks are the bomb though alot more bone than meat so i tend to avoid other boned chicken.Bone in the neck is sufficent.

Our nutritionist says else where any pig meat is involved. So we stay with that. Anyways pork is far too costly for us. The chicken is fine; last wek we got necks and legs; a total of 20 kg for E9.

Good for our cats too of course.

Our nutritionist says else where any pig meat is involved. So we stay with that. Anyways pork is far too costly for us. The chicken is fine; last wek we got necks and legs; a total of 20 kg for E9.

Good for our cats too of course.

if in doubt freeze the hell out of it,some freeze pork for 20 days to kill any bacteria.
    good deal on the necks and legs,some nice muscle meat with either of those and bang,lovely doggie dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

if in doubt freeze the hell out of it,some freeze pork for 20 days to kill any bacteria.
    good deal on the necks and legs,some nice muscle meat with either of those and bang,lovely doggie dinner!

+1
    Freezing pork kills the bacteria and means it's then safe to eat raw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 butcher75

I feed a half raw, half nuts/biscuit diet. I get good quality tripe, chicken with bone, beef or lamb. I get them all minced and frozen. Dogs doing great on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

butcher75 wrote: »
    I feed a half raw, half nuts/biscuit diet. I get good quality tripe, chicken with bone, beef or lamb. I get them all minced and frozen. Dogs doing great on it.

Do you mind me asking where you get this and what kind of price you paying?

+1
    Freezing pork kills the bacteria and means it's then safe to eat raw

OK; still would not trust it and cannot afford it even for ourselves. There is not the need.

for all raw feeders it is best to vary your meat as best you can if not adding veggie pulp to dogs diet.
    80% meat is what you are after ideally.
    BARF diets are totally different so other rules apply..

sidenote,gave 5 week old pups some raw mince today,hoovered the stuff up,well pleased.
    mince for a few days now then a change of meat to chicken,try some veg pulp then,non greens,carrots mainly.

for all raw feeders it is best to vary your meat as best you can if not adding veggie pulp to dogs diet.
    80% meat is what you are after ideally.
    BARF diets are totally different so other rules apply..

sidenote,gave 5 week old pups some raw mince today,hoovered the stuff up,well pleased.
    mince for a few days now then a change of meat to chicken,try some veg pulp then,non greens,carrots mainly.

Not needful.

Not needful.

?????
    problem?

Advertisement